PDA

View Full Version : Chemo Cancelled Again

tousled1
10-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Yesterday I went for my chemo treatment (Taxol/Carboplatin/Herceptin) and chemo was cancelled again due to low blood counts. I did get my Herceptin. Seems that even with the Nupogen shots and Arsnsep shots my counts continue to drop. My hemoglobin was 9.2 and my white count was below 1 so therefore no chemo this week. This is the second time this has happened since I started my treatment. First round no problems but the last two rounds the third week my counts have been too low to get the chemo. Has this happend to anyone else? What can I do to get my counts up? I've been getting the injections, doing the standard supplements and eating more protein. Any suggestions from anyone to get my counts up would be appreciated.

Also I'm scheduled for my Brain MRI and chest scan on Monday so I would appreciate your prayers. If he chemo is kicking my blood counts so bad I can only hope that it is also doing it's job on kicking butt on the cancer cells. I'll have the results of my tests October 11th.

lilyecuadorian
10-05-2007, 12:34 PM
count on me for the prayers Kate and for the white cell from my simple opinion just relax, rest ...and eat right ....let this question for our other sister ....to answer

mts
10-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Oh I hope you can get those counts back up !! I am visualizing those cancer cells getting their nasty hineys whupped... too bad your little hiney gets whupped too. Hang in there!

Eat right, rest, and think positive. I am sending you sunny vibes from Florida.

Maria

hutchibk
10-05-2007, 02:45 PM
Hi Kate - Are you getting Neupogen or Neulasta? When I was on TCH, I had to switch to Neulasta when Neupogen stopped doing the trick. And a friend of mine who Aranesp has stopped working for has started getting occasional transfusions and those help her stay on track with her chemo...

Sorry this is happening!

chrisy
10-05-2007, 02:50 PM
Kate, I'm so sorry you are having to deal with this. My only thought would be, why not do the chemo weekly - it is a lower dose and may be easier on the blood counts.

Beyond that, I'm sure you are doing what you can from a nutritional standpoint (lots of protein, iron, etc.). Are you able to get any exercise? Also, during chemo I got regular "energy work" done - mainly accupressure type stuff but I believe acupuncture may also help.

I'll be thinking about you on monday - I guess it's official scan day as I have one, too. I see it's also columbus day and Thanksgiving (in Canada).

hang in there
Chris

lilyecuadorian
10-05-2007, 02:54 PM
kATE I remenber now that when my white cells was extremy low ...I got transfucion next day ...and that is it ...I took my quemo next day

Mary Anne in TX
10-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Hi Kate!
I took Neulasta which worked for me, but I haven't had the others. I'll surely be thinking of you on Monday and hoping for super good results for you. I'm getting Herceptin and see the onc that same day. I'll be requesting scans and a brain MRI. I'm praying for you and thinking really good thoughts for ya. ma

Sheila
10-05-2007, 03:27 PM
Oh Kate
I wish your counts would improve...maybe a blood transfusion will get them back up so they can regenerate quicker...or maybe switching to Neulasta....or Procrit....I wish I could give you some of mine to give you a boost...i am always astonished that all the nosebleeds I have on this that my counts are still good....keeping you in my prayers dear Kate...sending you a big hug and lots of love...think RED!!!!!

Ceesun
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
Kate, Will be thinking of you with prayers for positive results! Cathy aka Ceesun

tousled1
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
To answer some questions that were raised:.

My chemo (Taxol/Carboplatin) is weekly with 3 weeks on 1 week off. I'm on the neupogen shots for 3 days after each chemo and since my chemo is weekly therefore I can't get Neulasta. Since the Arnasep shots don't ssem to be working we now switched to Procrit as of this week.

Patb
10-05-2007, 05:15 PM
Prayers are coming your way. The wait on these test is enough to cause
anxiety attacks. I wish they would just sit down and read them immediately. Lots of luck.
patb

Julie2
10-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Hi Kate,

Have you asked for Lukine shots, they are like Neupogen given everyday.
I am pretty sure that your scans are going to be good. Wishing you all the best.

Julie

Mary Jo
10-05-2007, 05:43 PM
Hi Kate,

No idea where my first post went to you but here goes again. I drowned myself with water when I was going through chemo. I drank and drank and drank the days after chemo. I also received a Neulasta shot. I always would envision all the water as a way of flushing the crap out of my body. Not sure if it helped or not BUT my counts never dropped off.

Prayers are with you Kate. I'm sorry the numbers are down.

God's Peace,

Mary Jo

Colleen007
10-05-2007, 06:00 PM
Kate,

I am currently on Navelbine and Herceptin (Navelbine is 3 weeks on/1 week off) and the Herceptin is once every 3 weeks. The Herceptin does not impact my counts, but the Navelbine does. I normally get 3 Neupogen shots after each of the 1st 2 weeks of Navelbine and after the 3rd week (going into the 1 week off), I get the stronger Neulasta shot. This has seemed to work well for me.

Good luck with your upcoming scans.

sassy
10-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Kate,

I'm so sorry to hear that you are going thru this again. Would adding liver/beets other high iron foods help any? Just a thought, you've probably got the diet thing down pat.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Sending you strength and courage.

Vanessa
10-05-2007, 06:55 PM
I am sorry that you had to have your chemo cancelled and I hope you are feeling better soon. I had my chemo cancelled today, also, but because my oncologist thinks that I am dehydrated. She gave me a big bag of fluids instead. I will give more details in another post, but I hope your counts get back up soon and I will keep you in my prayers. Best wishes on Monday!

caya
10-05-2007, 08:13 PM
Kate,

Sorry to hear this. I hope your blood counts go up ASAP. Hopefully the Procrit will do the trick and your counts will be back up pronto.

all the best
caya

Connie Jean
10-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Hi Kate,
Several times my counts dropped low like yours during chemo. I got Neulasta shots. Also, my husband would bake a whole chicken, take the meat off the bones, crack the bones and boil them to make a broth for soup. It sounds wierd. My naturopath told us to do that. I was able to take all my chemo on schedule and ate a lot of good soup!
I will pray for you.
Connie

Catherine
10-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Kate,

Wish I could help, but will be praying for better counts and chemo soon.
My experience is only with AC and then after that 4 weeks Taxol. I do remember getting the Neulasta and the Procrit. I like the chicken soup routine. Let's get her husband's phone number. My husband was a good cook while I was on chemo, not sure he would go so far as to make homemade soup tho. Try all the tricks you can and we will pray all we can.

Friends of yours and friends of Tiptoe's,(Couldn't resist mentioning our little mascot)

Hugs to you, Catherine

Jean
10-05-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Kate,
I was on the TCH but it was every 3 weeks. Therefor I had the Nuelasta
shots which kept my count going. Make sure you are getting enough
rest - east smaller meals more often. Good quality snacks, like yogurt
and whole grains.

Wishing you all the best !
Jean

hutchibk
10-05-2007, 11:23 PM
I love that idea Connie Jean... and it makes sense to me. I suppose the marrow from the chicken bones can help boost our marrow and immune system/white cells!

jhandley
10-06-2007, 12:07 AM
Try reishi mushroom extract for low wbc. it worked for me. Greeridge make one calledAstra Forte Immune Spport.
Cheers
Jackie

michka
10-06-2007, 12:16 AM
Hi Kate,
I hope you'll do much better on Procrit and that the IRM will show that your figting spirit is winning!
I will pray for you.
Michka

Andrea Barnett Budin
10-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Kate, You have my prayers, and they are a strong, steady stream of loving, healing energy going out in your name.

I learned to drink 8-10 8 oz glasses of water (11 gulps = 1 glass) all day, every single day. It keeps you hydrated and flushes out the toxins. I think of it as a *prescription* for wellness. I know the lack of sufficient liquid can wreak havoc w/yr body. I walk from room to room carrying my balloon glass (24 oz) of bottled water. Tepid is best for you, they say, but do it however you can. I carry bottled water w/me wherever I go.

The supplements I take help to boost the immune sys and fight off free radicals, have anti-oxidant benefits as well. I know you're eating all the right things, and know what they are. A dear friend couldn't tolerate chemo and had H only and got into remission. She has stuck w/H ev since and remained DANCING WITH NED.

Wrap your brain around strong thoughts full of tenacious determination. Do not feel defeated. Every one of us has a different scenario that works for us. You will find *your* magic recipe. Hang in there. Know that what you want is being called to you -- with the power of your insistent thoughts and the loving prayers being sent out in your name. Good luck on your scans and as always, please keep us all posted. We love you. You are our sweet Sister. We stand by you, through the good and the bad. Looking forward to GOOD NEWS for you very soon...

EXPECTATIONS = REALITY. Call your most deeply desired destiny to you!

LOVE,
Andi

DonnaD
10-06-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Kate,
I am sorry you were not able to have chemo. I cried when mine had to be delayed. Thoughts and prayers are with you.
Donna

kareneg
10-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Dear Kate,

You have all my prayers for you brain MRI and you chest xray and that your numbers come back fast so you can have your treatments I know how frustrating it is and I am sorry.

Faith in Him
10-07-2007, 12:01 AM
Hi Kate,

I had my hemoglobin drop below 9 a few times. My onc told me to take iron pills with at least 325 mg of ferrous sulfate, twice daily. I bought the Nature Made brand. I also ate a ton of veggies & fruits. After making those changes, I was able to achieve a hemoglobin of 11 and stayed there all through chemo. In addition, he had me getting neupogen shots for six days after each chemo.

Hope that helps.

StillHere
10-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Kate, I am sending all the positive energy I can muster ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~. The chicken soup thing sounds like something to try. Hope it helps. Peace Karen

harrie
10-09-2007, 11:49 PM
Kate, do you know if you are getting the standard dosage of Neupogen or the larger dose? I know that with me, a couple of times I had to get the larger dose. I usually got the 300 mcg and a couple of times I received the 480 mcg.
Maryanne

SusieQ
10-10-2007, 07:35 PM
Sending you prayers. This is good soup weather. Do you know anyone that can make you a protein rich vegetable soup? It is a great comfort food and may help up the blood counts a bit.

vickie h
10-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Lots of prayers from California coming out to you, today. Drink as much water as you can and eat loads of deep green vegies if you can. We're all thinking of you and sending you positive, healing thoughts. Love, Vickie

chicagoetc
10-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the info here. I just started all of this. After two rounds of AC (the last a week ago Friday) I got a slight fever (this morning). It was gone by the time I got to the clinic. But I got blood drawn anyway. My white cell count is 1 (1000 per cc / mm). It's good to know there are things they can do to help if it goes lower. They told me I could keep going to work but to stay away from crowds (like the Chicago Elevated Train, buses etc). I also get to call them again every time my temperature goes up. I wasn't expecting this after the second dose of chemo. But they were upbeat about it, I'm not that scared, and it helps to hear all of you talk about ways that they can address this [though I don't want to stop the chemo and it sounds like I want to avoid bone marrow biopsies...if only I had control over that].

Thanks,
Melanie

Soccermom
10-15-2007, 08:20 PM
Kate,
Just wanted you to know that I am thinking of you...
Hugs,Marcia