PDA

View Full Version : it hits again

juanita
10-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I found out yesterday that another co-worker has cancer. She has breast cancer. I would say dcis. She goes to see a surgeon tomorrow. I loaned her my books. Any questions you can think of she should be asking because she's in a completely different situation than i was.

Karen W
10-03-2007, 08:39 PM
My girlfriend had a mastectomy for DCIS and when the path report camd back back, it showed 9mm of invasive. I guess I would want to ask the surgeon how he/she can be certain there is no invasive cancer (especially if they do a lumpectomy and not mast).

Karen

MJo
10-04-2007, 05:53 AM
My boss and I were diagnosed one month apart, both Her2Pos, and went through treatment together. A woman volunteer at my social services agency had a mastectomy due to BC the same year. Last week the woman in the office next to me told me that she has BC. It's very early, thank goodness, and she's getting the Oncotype done. It's all around us.

Becky
10-04-2007, 08:13 AM
She should make sure that she gets her slides read at another pathology lab as well (second opinion pathology) especially to ensure that the dcis is just dcis. If the first opinion is not a large cancer center (like Hopkins, Sloan, Fox Chase, MD Anderson etc), then she should make sure the second opinion is at one of these type of places (in your area Univ of IN is very good (George Sledge is there)).

Second opinions all around, surgeon, medical onc, rad onc.

mts
10-04-2007, 08:39 AM
I heartily agree about the 2nd opinion pathology... inclusive the ER/PR status. Mine changed from one center to the next. AND don't forget the FISH test !

Maria

chrisy
10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
Yes, I just hugged a coworker on her way out the door for a double mastectomy....

Stop the f-in madness!

Mary Jo
10-04-2007, 06:53 PM
Ditto to what Chrissy said.

Mary Jo

Sheila
10-04-2007, 06:59 PM
When I was in Chicago today for my chemo, the nurse said to me, it's not if you are going to get cancer, its when.....she said based on the numbers they are seeing of all types, it is rampant. Makes you wonder, is it better detection, or our environment.

BonnieR
10-04-2007, 07:12 PM
I recommend that she writes down her questions and answers. And has someone with her to be sure they get addressed. It is so hard to concentrate when newly diagnosised....and later too!!

juanita
10-08-2007, 04:08 PM
She saw the surgeon and has to go for an mri. He thinks it is all noninvassive. Right now she's looking at a lumpectomy and radiation which is inserted into a cath in the site.

dhealey
10-08-2007, 04:22 PM
When I was diagnosised and they said breast cancer, to me the only option was mastectomy, and when I found out it was her2pos, double mastectomy. I didn't care about preserving my breast. I just don't want it coming back. The more women I know just having lumpectomies, the more recurrance I see. I would even seek a second opinion about treatment.

StillHere
10-08-2007, 07:20 PM
I have never regreted having a bilateral Mastectomy. So many women I know from my other (in person) support group wish they had gone this route. It seems it is one of the few split second decisions I made that I am very happy with.