PDA

View Full Version : Bladder Leakage

Catherine
10-03-2007, 11:09 AM
Whenever I cough or laugh now, I have bladder leakage. Is this because I am 59 years old. Or is everything looser from treatments?

I hope this never happens to Tiptoe.

Thanks for your help, Catherine

Grace
10-03-2007, 11:12 AM
Catherine,

I've had that problem since turning sixty, and before cancer, so it may be age, as you suggest. There's probably something you can do about it if you see a doctor--or as the famous Marx joke goes--don't cough, which is my solution.

AlaskaAngel
10-03-2007, 11:46 AM
Docs can and do prescribe a couple of medications that can help with this, so if you have a good internist, it might be worth trying.

A.A.

Margerie
10-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I think I heard it is common to leak a little urine when your estrogen levels drop. You lose your elasticity- joy. I really have to make sure I am done before getting up from the toilet!

tricia keegan
10-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Catherine I remember my older sister having a minor surgical procedure for this some years ago so if it really becomes a problem speak to your Dr about it.

tousled1
10-03-2007, 02:25 PM
Kegel exercises are great for this problem.

Annlyn
10-03-2007, 03:48 PM
“Leakage is common but never normal”
<o></o>
This info comes from an article “Surgery Holds the Key to Incontinence” in last weekend’s “The Weekend Australian”.
<o></o>
There are a few different types of incontinence including stress, urge and frequency with some of the main causes being pregnancy and childbirth, loss of oestrogen after menopause, heavy lifting, chronic constipation, being overweight and chronic cough.
So
drink at least 2 litres of fluid (not including tea, coffee, wine…) to maintain capacity.
Reduce coffee and other caffeinated drinks as they increase urine production.
Do pelvic floor exercises particularly before and after childbirth and before heavy lifting (Hang on a minute dear, I’ll help you lift the tree off your pinned arm as soon as I’ve done me pelves!!)<o></o>Many women can be cured by bladder retraining and exercise programs for the pelvic floor (Best to see a physio for this – the oft quoted advice of stopping wee mid stream is not good advice – according to local workshop on this wee problem.

Topical oestrogen therapy is also useful for some women, particularly post menopausal.
<o>
</o>Surgery is possible for stress incontinence, if all else fails. Surgery now often uses a virginal sling; a narrow strip of mesh is inserted underneath the urethra like a sling to keep it in its normal position – high success rate, ½ hour procedure, day surgery. BUT. Why is there always a BUT? Can create an overactive bladder =urge incontinence or stop the bladder from emptying completely.
<o></o>
A newly published study in Lancet (2007;369:2179-2186) suggests that surgery for incontinence could change significantly in the future, after researchers showed that injecting patient’s own stem cells into their urethra successfully cured the condition. The result was regeneration of the urethra and urinary sphincter.
<o></o>
Do try exercises first

<o></o>P.S. Don’t teach children to go to the toilet just in case as this can lead to frequency problems because the bladder is never given the opportunity to empty properly.
<o>
H</o>ope this summary helps
<o>
A</o>nnlyn
<o></o>

Catherine
10-03-2007, 08:59 PM
Thank you everyone for the advice. I have always heard of Kegel (sp)
exercises. Guess I will google Kegel and then try to add those exercises to my wimpy exercise routine.

I work from home part time, drink lots of water and wee alot. It is worse right now because I am just gettting over a cold.

I can live with it and adjust, but thanks for the input.

Catherine

mcgle
10-03-2007, 10:36 PM
I cured myself of severe stress incontinence by doing pelvic floor exercises and using vaginal cones; however, this did take five years! Certainly worth it, as I never have a problem now (can even run!).

But, these exercises are lifelong, and I never let a day go by without doing my 300 'pull-ups'!

If you want to find out more, just pm me.

Mcgle (UK)

Debra
10-04-2007, 10:15 AM
Catherine -

I had that problem before BC (about age 35 it started) mainly I am told because I had large babies.
When I had my hysterectomy in December of last year, I also had a bladder lift. Things were fine until I then went on Arimidex and had NO estrogen flowing through my body! Now I am a leaky pipe again. May need a little tweaking!