PDA

View Full Version : I need some info please

kareneg
10-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Hello my sisters,

I went to treatment yesterday and had my Taxotere Herceptin and Carboplatin. Well I was almost done with the carbo and I broke out with a rash and hives and I was having a hard time breathing. The nurses gave me meds to counter act the reaction and it worked well my rash was cleared up with in an hour and I had to use an inhaler for the breathing. But today I have fever 102.3 it was when I went in for my neulasta shot. They almost put me in the hospital again. But I am home now. I feel horrible like I did all summer with the tumor fevers I had, My question is could this fever be from the reaction I had yesterday I felt fine Sunday I am just so scared it's the cancer. I have a cat scan on October 15th and see the doctor on the 22nd where he is going to restage me. I just feel so sick again can anyone tell me if the fever is related to the allergic reaction from the Carbo? Thank you all.

Becky
10-02-2007, 02:02 PM
You got a double whammy this time. An allergic reaction can certainly cause a fever AND a side effect of carboplatin is fever. You might have had such a low grade fever in other infusions that you didn't even notice it (let's say 99-100) but this time, you had such a reaction that the fever was higher and noticeable. Of course, you have to be diligent to make sure this fever is from that and not that you picked up a bug but certainly, it can occur from an allergic reaction. An allergic reaction is the same as your body fighting off a bug (but usually more intense).

If they stay with the carbo, are they going to give you benadryl beforehand next time?

Mary Anne in TX
10-02-2007, 02:26 PM
Hi Karen,
When I took Taxol, Carboplatin, and Herceptin they had to give it REALLY slowly and lots of meds, but it made all the difference. Otherwise, my breathing went crazy, I turned beat red and thought I was dying! Once they slowed everything down and added the benydrl, etc. I did great. Just took forever, but I didn't care. It made it doable. ma

lilyecuadorian
10-02-2007, 02:46 PM
I sending you my prayers and my better wishes to control this desiase .....I used for carb and taxotere reaccion ..Benadryl ...my pression went to high ....but after benadryls ..it was ok

kareneg
10-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi Becky and Mary Anne,

I do get Benadrly 50 millagrams and I start taking the Decadron 2 days prior to treatment. They did give me the Carbo at a slow rate at first so I hope that they can go back to that. I turned beet red to Ma and I really thought I was going to die what a horrible feeling. I just had such a bad summer with fevers from the tumors I just hope its not the tumors giving me the fever. There are two new liver mets and the one on the tail of my Pancreas doubled in size with in one month this past July so I was in a bad way with fevers and pain. My tumor marker CA 27-29 has been going down so I hope thats a good thing its at 70 right now. I am just so afraid that the doctor will take me off the carbo and I feel like my options are running out. I have been on constent chemo since Jan 2005 no breaks I just wonder how much treatment one can have before it takes its toll. I'll never give up the fight though. I love you all!

chrisy
10-02-2007, 03:21 PM
Karen,
Becky brought up a couple of perfectly valid "alternate explanations" to it being tumor fever. I think dropping markers is a good sign as far as that goes.

If you are having difficulty with the carbo, or maybe it's the combination of both, another thing that can work is to run the IV with a lot of saline. Yes, this also makes it take longer with the side "benefit" of you have to make several trips down the hall dragging your IV if you know what I mean.

Hope things settle down quickly and that this combo works well - and that it ends up causing the tumors more discomfort than it has so far causing you.

Much love
Chris

Believe51
10-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Just pulling this up for Karen in the hopes that someone might have missed it.>>Believe51

Julie2
10-03-2007, 08:16 AM
I get fever oneday after the infusion of Navelbine and Herceptin every week. They don't have a clue for that and I think it is just a reaction to the drug.

MCS
10-03-2007, 01:34 PM
I used to get a fever with the neulasta.

mcs maria