PDA

View Full Version : Mgn-3

SoCalGal
10-02-2007, 08:28 AM
Someone faxed me an article about this being a breakthrough immune booster. Apparently it's an extract of rice bran modified by enzymes from shiitake mushrooms. Pioneered by Dr Mamdooh Ghoneum PhD at Charles Drew University of Medicine in L.A.

I wondered if anyone's heard of this/him? I figured that if there is something out there as simple as rice (or hamsters) this board would know it and be on it.

Do we have a position on this? It's in my fat folder of things to take to my onc so he doesn't get bored when I see him every week:)

Flori

PinkGirl
10-02-2007, 10:57 AM
Hi Flori
I've heard about this stuff, but as usual, what I read was too confusing for me. I got the drift that there was some debate over it being released as a drug or as a food supplement. It hasn't been tested long enough on people to be a drug. I read something that if it ever comes out it will have to get a new name, something like Bio Bran, because the mgn-3 name is getting a bad rap in the media (maybe because people are looking for a magic bullet).

hutchibk
10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
My nutritionist and accupuncturist have pushed me on shitakes for 3 years. I have been lazy about researching recipes, and apparently it is as simple as adding a handful of them into your diet as often as possible, maybe 4-5 times a week. They are supposed to also reduce inflammations in the body...

StephN
10-02-2007, 04:35 PM
I think I would just as soon keep eating the real thing and wait a while for more data in this.

Shiitakes also have some anticancer properties, being one of the several mushrooms recommended for cancer patients.

When I became stage IV one of the very easy dietary changes I made was to add some organic shiitakes to our dinner a couple times a week. No fancy recipes. I just wanted them sliced in nice size pieces and sauteed in olive oil. Not to confuse my body with too many other foods so it would just digest the mushrooms and take what I need from them.

Some times I add them to cous cous or a wild rice mix. Or just add them on top of a pork chop with parsley or simply as a garnish to our dinner plates. Also saute them and put in a hearty soup in winter.

chrisy
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Steph and Flori,
I put them in eggs and make a nice frittata with artichokes, shitakes, spinach and walnuts. Trying to cover all the bases, you know, and also have it taste good!

That said, I think there is evidence that shitake and maitake as well as rice bran have anti-cancer properties. My motto is if it won't hurt and might help...go for it. I am however, leery of "concoctions" which have no data. Flori - how good it the info you have?

hutchibk
10-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks Steph and Chrisy - I do put them in stirfry from time to time, but sauteed sounds great (w/garlic!) and so does a frittatta!

RhondaH
10-02-2007, 07:34 PM
STRAIGHT in my salad. Put 1/2 cup in my salad once a week, though every recipe I have that calls for mushrooms I put in organic shiitake like Steph.

Rhonda

hutchibk
10-02-2007, 07:37 PM
And if you buy 'em dried, be sure and soak them first before cooking with them or eating them.