PDA

View Full Version : Fosamax question??

tricia keegan
10-01-2007, 12:25 PM
Hi Everyone..

This may sound like a silly question but here goes anyway..when it says on my fosamax leaflet take with Plain water does this mean plain as in tap (not bottled mineral) ???
Someone told me it has to be tap water as bottled will interfere with it's absorption or something and as I'm not due to see my onc for a while I just wondered how everyone else takes it??
Thanks!

Becky
10-01-2007, 12:58 PM
When your water says mineral water, are there lots of minerals or just trace amounts? I know in Europe things can be different than in the USA where we just have bottled water. One brand here, Dasani, touts small amounts of minerals that "improve" flavor but even these amounts mimic well water which for many of us here (me included) is tap water. I think the real point is that there are not excessive amounts as Fosamax is a biphosphanate and you would not want alot of metals (calcium, potassium, magnesium or manganese - or iron for that matter) as it could bind to the drug active. But really, what is in tap water? If you have a well, you will have low levels of this in your water anyway and city water tends to be chlorinated and fluorenated too! So unless its excessive, I wouldn't worry about it.

tricia keegan
10-01-2007, 02:06 PM
Becky thanks for your reply which gave me an idea to check out the different bottled water on sale here and what IS actually in them.
I should explain the reason I asked this question was although our tap water is good quality over all, we live in a "hard " water area which contains a lot of lime.
As a consequence I dread takign my fosamax because I find it a bit sickening with tap water. I've even begun skipping it although I need it so I'm just looking at maybe taking it with bottled water to make it easier on my stomach! I'll check out the different ranges and thanks again for your comments.
The lime plays havoc with all my kitchen appliance's too!!

hutchibk
10-01-2007, 05:00 PM
I think it means "flat" water, because Fosamax can cause acid reflux/esophegeal issues, and any mineral/aerated or carbonated water can contribute to that possibility. That is also why you are not supposed to lay down flat for 30 min - 1 hour after taking your Fosamax...

I suggest buying Voss or Vittel flat bottled spring water specifically to take your Fosamax with each week. I don't like the taste of my tap water either, so I drink bottled water at home.

tricia keegan
10-02-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks Brenda, we sell Vittel water here so I think I'll get that. I take nexium for reflux and esophagel issue's I've had since chemo so wanted to be sure to avoid any other problems.
Thanks for the advice!

CLTann
10-02-2007, 02:01 AM
The amount of Calcium, magnesium, iron, and other elements is so low in all drinkable waters that you need not to worry about which type of water you take. Besides, many bottled water actually come from tap water anyway. This is not critical.