PDA

View Full Version : Protective Mother

Patrick
10-01-2007, 12:01 PM
My mom was diagnosed with bc about 7 years ago. 2 years ago it met. to liver. Was really bad, doc. said it was highest count he had ever seen. Was able to get it under control with herceptin, but has started to go up again recently. Was on Tycerb, now navelbine. What does this mean? Mom is the protective type, not wanting to "worry" the kids. So, we don't really know what is going on.

Sheila
10-01-2007, 12:34 PM
Patrick
I have a son named Patrick! What is the Dr. saying, or is your Mom keeping everything a secret. She is doing this because she loves you and does not want you to worry. Did she fail on the Tykerb? There are still many other drugs to try, how is her health otherwise, and is she showing symptoms of liver involvement...jaundice, bloating etc? Have you tried to sit and talk with her? There are many on this board who have conquered liver mets, so I am sure you will get some answers.

Patrick
10-01-2007, 12:42 PM
She started on Tykerb about 6 months ago when her count starting going up. [It was down to normal after being in the 1,000 +.] Her count has continued to go up, but they can't seem to locate a specific location -- they found a hot spot on her pelvic bone, but she down plays that as the cause. The fact that they are changing meds again so quickly worries me.

She always spins things in the positive, even when we talk directly. I believe the positive attitude helps greatly, so I don't push much for informaiton. But, it leave me somewhat in the dark as to what to expect.

Joe
10-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Patrick,

Try and convince your Mom to waive her HIPPA rights to allow you to talk directly to her doctor. Every doctor's office carries the necessary forms.

Regards
Joe

chrisy
10-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Patrick,
"Count"? Count of what?

If you can provide a bit more info (Sheila asked some good questions) it might help. On the positive side, it's encouraging that her disease has been able to be controlled with the biologics (Herceptin and Tykerb) which are much easier to take.

The fact they are now adding chemo sounds like the cancer is no longer responding to these alone. Many people need to combine these with a chemo (as is happening now with the Navelbine) to get the best response. So adding chemo is a logical step to regain control.

Read my bio, I was able to beat down extensive liver mets with a chemo/herceptin combo, then maintain on herceptin alone for 2 years. My onc's first reaction to the recent recurrence was just to add back a chemo to the Herceptn, so this is quite common.

Keep the faith...
Chris