PDA

View Full Version : How many on Tykerb/Herceptin together?

Esther
09-30-2007, 08:10 AM
Are there very many women that are on Tykerb and Herceptin together? I had been on Herceptin from Jan 2004-April 2007 for bc mets.

In April 2007 I switched to Tykerb due to a history of dealing with brain mets, not because the Herceptin was not working.

Ever since I've kept wondering about dropping the Herceptin, thinking I should stay on it as well.

Anyone here on Tykerb and Herceptin at the same time? What has your onc told you about doing this? Are there any reasons why you shouldn't be on them both at the same time?

Carolyns
09-30-2007, 01:18 PM
Hi Esther,

I am on both. I sent you a PM, I think. Please let me know if you did not get it as I am fairly new at this form of communication.

I have been told that Tykerb and Herceptin work in different ways - one on the outside of the cell and the other on the inside. No study data on the two together without chemo although I believe that there are trials running now.

Carolyns

hutchibk
09-30-2007, 08:40 PM
I am also interested in the Tykerb w/ Herceptin info. I am doing good on the Tykerb right now, with it shrinking the brain mets, but I keep wondering when the day will come that I need to push to add the Herc to the Ty... how is everyone doing with the combo?

MichelleH
10-01-2007, 04:13 PM
Esther,

I had asked my doc just before switching from Herceptin/Navelbine to Tykerb/Xeloda if I could stay on Herceptin as well ( because it worked on the lymph nodes in the chest ). He said "No, because there is too many side effects." He never elaborated on what side effects he was talking about, but I assumed he was talking about the heart effects, since both of these med are hard on the heart.

Michelle

hutchibk
10-01-2007, 07:03 PM
My doc has been watching the research about heart effects of Tykerb - and he says he is not seeing that it is very significant... not at all like Herceptin.