PDA

View Full Version : Trial Trastuzumab-MCC-DM1 (I think it's working)

Barbara H.
09-29-2007, 07:50 PM
Hi Everyone,
I just wanted to give an update of the trial I am on. I posted it on the trial section, but thought that some members might not read it there and decided to add it to this forum. I just received my second infusion last Thursday. I had been off all treatment since the end of May because you have to be off treatment for four weeks to qualify. Unfortunately, as a result of no treatment, my bone mets had really started to grow and become painful. By August it became very difficult for me to sleep. In fact, one night the week before I started the trial, I only had two hours of sleep before getting up and going to school. This was all due to pain. No pain relievers would help and prescription pain relievers make me nauseous. In reality, I had been off chemo other than Herceptin since November when I had to have brain surgery due to necrosis. I really felt as if I was in bad shape and was desperate to begin this trial

My first infusion took all day. The needed blood work, consultations, and the infusion took 1 and 1/2 hours. Then I needed to be observed for four hours with constant temperature and blood pressure monitoring. After a final blood test I could leave, but had to return on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for additional blood tests. This is a problem for me because I have bad veins and the trial protocol will not allow blood tests from my port.

During my first infusion my nose started running and I felt quite achy. Unfortunately, that night I had to give a speech and meet will my parents at Curriculum Night. It was difficult, but I did it. The next day I felt pretty awful, but went to school. By that evening I had a fever of 101F. At first I thought is was a reaction to the new drug, but now I think I caught a virus from my students. Three were out that week with colds and fevers, and by the beginning of the past week two of the other third grade teachers had it. I probably will never know for sure.

This past Thursday I had my second infusion and it was quite uneventful. The following day I was tired, but went to see "Wicked" that night with no problem.

Here is the good news. By the second night after the first infusion I was able to sleep with virtually no pain. After being in pain for two months, this feels like a true miracle to me. My hip is still sore during the day and I favor it somewhat, but I feel that this treatment is quickly making a huge difference. It is also very easy to tolerate. Therefore, if you are looking for a treatment option, I would definitely investigate this trial. I also wonder if there is anyone else on this website how is taking this drug.

I will continue to give updates, and will know more after I have my scans later this month.

I give my best to everyone. I have read everyone's posts, but just haven't had time to respond. The beginning of the school year is always very hectic.

Best regards,
Barbara H.

Julie2
09-29-2007, 08:25 PM
Barbara,

Thank you for the update and congratulations for responding so well to the trial drug. I wish you reach NED very soon.

Julie

Julie2
09-29-2007, 08:36 PM
Barbara,

Do you know what chemo is mixed in this drug?

Thanks,
Julie

Jean
09-29-2007, 09:40 PM
Barbara,
I am so happy for you - you are one strong and brave lady.
Please keep us updated with your progress.

Your students are very lucky!
Hugs,
jean

Joe
09-29-2007, 10:18 PM
We met Genentech's Herceptin Manager athe San Francisco Conference earlier this month and he was quite excited about the new formulation.

Regards
Joe

hutchibk
09-29-2007, 11:50 PM
Thanks Barbara - this is wonderful news! I am very happy for you!

Mary Anne in TX
09-30-2007, 03:55 AM
You can get a bit of information from CTRC's web site about the drugs they are currently testing. Then you could call them to get the scoop. ma
Cancer Therapy and Research Center in San Antonio, TX

lilyecuadorian
09-30-2007, 06:34 AM
what a relief ...phisical and metal ...I happy with this news ...truely happy, congratulations

Joy
09-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Thank you Barbara! How wonderful for you. Lily said it perfectly physical and mental relief is so great. Please keep us posted and know you are much admired here!

jones7676
10-01-2007, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the update Barbara. Please keep us posted on your progress. I know about those sleepless nights from mets and I am glad you are getting relief!