PDA

View Full Version : Period back after almost 2 years?

Sherryg683
09-29-2007, 02:48 PM
I think I just got my period back. It will be 2 years in December that I started this chemopause thing and I figured at least I didn't have to worry about the cramping and stuff I use to go through. Just woke up from a leisurely nap and it seems to be back. Is this normal for periods to come back this long after not having one. I have been on Herceptin only for 18 months. ..sherryg

kareneg
09-29-2007, 02:56 PM
Hi Sherri,

My period came back after 1 1/2 years too while I was just on Herceptin. But I am ER+. So I had to get a shot to put me back in menapause. With my chemo brain I can't remember for the life of me what it was called. Make sure to tell your doctor that the monthly visitor is back. Your in my thoughts and prayers.

tricia keegan
09-29-2007, 04:13 PM
Sherry I've heard it can come back after a long time, I had my ovaries removed as my onc said the chemopause may be temporary..

Bev
09-29-2007, 09:18 PM
Sherry,

I definitely remember some on board having that happen. If you are ER+ I think it needs to be addressed. I would call the onc nurse. Lupron is the shot.Good luck, Bev

Sherryg683
09-29-2007, 09:49 PM
I'm not ER+ but I am going to tell my doctor about it. My last scan showed 2 cysts on my ovaries that wasn't there before. Don't know if this has anything to do with it or not. sherry

Becky
09-30-2007, 07:35 AM
They probably were follicles not cysts and perhaps they were trying or tried to ovulate. This happened to me too but since I am ER+, I got my ovaries removed and the "cysts" were unovulated follicles. I was almost 47 at the time but got my period back. It is not impossible for this to happen and it doesn't surprise me because most of us take very good care of ourselves. Eat right etc. Why shouldn't all of your body heal and rejuvenate! Sherri - you look great on the outside and now your body is telling you that you look great on the inside too!

Susan
10-03-2007, 04:41 AM
I got my period back too, this month after 14 months of period free. I was so bummed. I had blood work done in June, and my onco said that I wasn't post menopause, and that he had a feeling I would start back up again. He was going to let me go to December, and if I wasn't post meno then, we would do oophectomy. So I called him when it started, and we're starting the ball rolling for ovaries out and hysterectomy. I have an ultrasound done today, and I'm scheduled for November for surgery. I'm having it all done laproscopically, so I guess in 1 week, I'll be able to go back to work. Then I'll be able to go on Arimidex after.

Sue

kristen
10-03-2007, 05:00 AM
Hi Sherry,
Mine did the same thing after 18 months. Your ob/gyn can run blood tests to see where you are in the menopause stage. My doc was surprised it came back because I was over 40 as you are. I was going into menopause according to the blood tests, but they didn't know how long it would take. I was having cysts evey month that were painful, so we just did the hyst. Good luck to you.

mts
10-03-2007, 05:31 AM
I got my period back after 2 years from last Herceptin... and it came back making up for lost time. My GYN did a endometrial biopsy just to make sure nothing serious was happening and I also had a lovely vaginal ultrasound... Everything checked out OK. I know this may have been overkill, but my period had lasted for over a month and the flow was unstoppable (changing maxi pad every 3-4 hours !! )

As you know there is a blood test that confirms your menopausal status. I would bet your onc has those numbers and perhaps you have always been in the mid-range (barely menopausal...).

Your ovaries are probably making their last Hurrah!

Maria

Rosemary Griggs
11-28-2007, 09:02 AM
My period just came back too - after 16 months. I finished my last herceptin treatment about 6 weeks ago. I'm 47 and had been having rough cycles with uterine fibroids and heavy bleeding before bc diagnosis . I was both er and pr negative. Loosing my period was one of the few perks of the whole bc ordeal. I'm waiting for a call back from my gyno. I'm wondering if my cycle will be regular, as intense as before and if I'm going to have to do a do over on the menopausal symptoms. Will my fibroids, which shrunk considerably, return? Does anyone know of some reading material on this? One good thing I've noticed is that the joint pain associated with herceptin is almost gone now that my treatments are done.

theresaw
11-28-2007, 06:36 PM
I had my first period a couple of weeks ago after not having one for 1 1/2yr. I was bothered by it just because I thought I was done with that part of my life. I am now 43yrs old. Good luck I truly understand!