View Full Version : Spirits...

Jean
09-29-2007, 08:41 AM
Hi All,
We have all been listening to a lot of media coverage on the effects of
drinking and bc...attached is another article, in this one they give the
study stats of 70,033 woman who were tracked, of those 2,829 did
get bc.

When I crunched these numbers that comes out to 4% of the woman.
I would not panic over these stats and of course moderation is the
key. Hope this makes everyone feel a bit more comfortable.

Cheers!
Jean
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/83927.php

Brenda_D
09-29-2007, 09:45 AM
I don't drink at all, and I got BC. Go figure.

Jean
09-29-2007, 12:56 PM
Brenda,
I have a dear old Aunt - she is 93 and a real live wire!
She has her half bottle of wine each and everyday.
Healthly as a horse - runs around all over San Deigo
still is in the dating game also!

She also still smokes! Go figure? She was shocked when
I was dx. since she kept saying all her life "What Great Genes
our Family has."

I also believe that the older generation was not exposed to
as much toxins. Who knows? I'll ponder all of this over
dinner with my glass of wine.

Hugs,
Jean

Mary Jo
09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
Before breast cancer I hardly drank any alcohol. Very, very little. I'd say in a year's time possibly 5 - 8 drinks in the whole darn year. Since breast cancer that has changed. Now I have approximately 4 - 5 beers a week and lovin' every minute of it.

Hey, since breast cancer I've learned - LIFE IS SHORT - so enjoy!!!! Of course, moderation is the key.

Cheers back at ya,

Mary Jo

tricia keegan
09-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Hi Jean
Thanks for posting this! I think people who did everything right still got bc (I did'nt !) so really they still just don't know. I like to be careful about my health now but still enjoy a glass of wine with dinner.I really think we still have to live and if we cut out everything they say is to blame...we may as well give up!!!

KellyA
09-29-2007, 03:28 PM
Hi Jean,

OK, I'm a little slow, was this study done on women in general who drank, or womeon that had had a history of breast cancer? Thanks,

Love, Kelly

Donna
09-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Thanks so much for this number crunching post..................I'll drink to that! :-)

Donna

Jean
09-29-2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Kelly,
The study was done on a group of woman in general. They did not have
a history of bc - the tracking was done to study the effects of any beverge be it wine, beer, etc. the outcome showed that any type
of drinking had the same risk factor.

Your hair looks beautiful!
Hugs,
jean

tousled1
09-30-2007, 04:03 PM
The way I look at it life is too short to worry over whether a few drinks a week are going to harm you. I still believe that anything in moderation is ok. And now being a Stage IVer I wouldn't care what they say -- if I want a drink I'll have it.

caya
09-30-2007, 04:16 PM
I was also in the "maybe 6 drinks a year" before BC category. Also did not smoke, ate well. I still won't go crazy, but I also feel if I want to have a few glasses of wine here or there, I will.

all the best
caya

3sweeties
09-30-2007, 04:44 PM
Occasional poster here, I needed to voice my 2cents on this one. My mother has never drank (not even sipped any alcohol her entire life), never smoked anything, never taken drugs etc. etc. etc. And still got bc, I truly think that the 2,829 that developed bc may have developed it even though they had been drinking alcoholic beverages.
Like everyone said, life is too short. And everything it appears nowadays causes some type of cancer, it's just the toxic enviroment we live in. Also years ago they did not have the screening exams that they do now, so people died but who knows from what.

A.

hutchibk
09-30-2007, 05:04 PM
My nickname has always been "half beer Brenda" - I'm known as a cheap date. After my partyin' 20s (not very partyin' when you get tipsy from 1/2 a beer, LOL) - I typically drank 2 drinks a month at the most!