PDA

View Full Version : Just mentioning..............

Mary Jo
09-28-2007, 06:38 PM
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to mention that I will be having a colonoscopy on October 17th and an abdominal CT with contrast dye on October 3rd. I know I have mentioned here in the past that I had some upper left side discomfort in the past. This ache or discomfort started while going through chemo in October of '05 and has been off and on since then. More off than on but still "on" all the same. I've also had some bowel changes which I attribute to the way I eat today - cod liver oil etc. I have been experiencing some bloating and "ovary" pain as well and did first see my GYN about that. He did a thorough exam. A pelvic exam by himself, a transvaginal ultrasound which looked beautiful and he ordered a CA125 and that too was very low...... a 4 to be exact. He checked my menopausal status and the test says I'm still producting plenty of estrogen (at least at that days blood draw I was) but no progesterone which he says means that my ovaries are not releasing the egg, hence the abdominal discomfort/bloating and ovary pain. So, after all that checked out well I decided I should also see a GI and make sure the whole colon area is ok since the bowel issues/upper left side discomfort still exists with me. It took A LOT to make that phone call but I did it and finally got in to see Dr. Vanketason at Froedtert.

The appointment went well - the exam went well and the next step was ordering a colonoscopy and then she decided she wanted a abdominal CT with contrast dye as well. I'm happy I will be having these tests and my body will be thoroughly checked out BUT I am a bit nervous about the abdominal CT. We ALL know plenty of "sisters" who have had the CT done and those darn old liver mets are found with no symptoms to be heard of. I don't want this to me, naturally. Honestly, I don't feel as if "trouble" will be found BUT of course, one never knows. I do feel amazingly at peace with the whole situation and have the mentality that "what will be will be" and truly do believe that. I know that whatever happens I will handle it.

I guess I wanted to mention it to my "sisters" here on the board as I know each and every one of you understand the dreaded test game. You all understand that when we "sisters" have a test of any kind it could only mean one thing - cancer http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif when it all actuality, it often times has nothing to do with cancer at all.

So, I will keep you posted as the results unfold.

May God's Peace surround each of you,

Mary Jo

Mary Anne in TX
09-28-2007, 07:00 PM
Mary Jo you keep us posted, and we'll be praying for you. ma

Chelee
09-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Maryjo, Once you get these two tests out of the way and they come back clean...at least you will know you've have the official "once over" and then some! :) You will certainly have more peace of mind knowing you've had everything checked out. I'm sure your dreading it a bit but just think how good and relieved you will be with it all behind you. Keep us update. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Chelee

sassy
09-28-2007, 07:52 PM
Marejo,

I'm sure all will turn out fine--but peace of mind is a wonderful thing.
Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

tousled1
09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Marejo,

Best to get things checked out. I'm sure everything will be A-ok. Please keep us posted.

DonnaD
09-29-2007, 01:01 AM
Mary Jo
You will be in my daily prayers. Just think how good you will feel when the all tests come back fine. No more doubts.

Donna

Sheila
09-29-2007, 05:53 AM
MaryJo
The waiting is SO hard...you are in my prayers that both tests will come back with good results, and you can put this worry behind you.

KRISS
09-29-2007, 06:04 AM
Oh Marejo
I know it is so hard to wait for these tests. And then even harder to wait for the results but once it is over you will feel so much better knowing. Try not to dwell on it for the next couple of weeks. (easier said than done, I know) I will say a prayer for you and send good thoughts your way.

CLTann
09-29-2007, 07:09 AM
I often wonder why do people not checking the simple routine blood analysis, including liver enzyme functions. The enzyme numbers tell a lot about how your liver is doing. Then the cholesterol numbers also can imply some hidden problems. These radiation scans are not only expensive but have the cumulative damaging effect to your body. Regardless, I wish you well and get all clear results.

SoCalGal
09-29-2007, 08:00 AM
I remember when I was first diagnosed (11 years ago) that at some point I realized "it" would never be over. Once you've had cancer, every doctor will always first hunt for mets with any complaint. It's hard to always be "that" patient and equally hard to transition out of the treatment stage, peacefully with full confidence and to just live your life. It does get better over time, and you can actually get to a place where it's not the first thing on your mind and where the fear is low, low down on the fear scale.

I guess the only good thing I can say is, IF god forbid, it is "something" it is best caught early and that is our advantage - no doc lets anything slip by for too long.

I too, hope it's nothing. It seems common to have many problems following cancer treatment; pain and discomfort from the surgery sites, the feeling that nothing is quite right in our bodies, and gastro issues also very common.

xo Flori

BonnieR
09-29-2007, 08:10 AM
One thing about this sisterhood, when ONE of us is having a test it's like ALL of us are having it with you!
Keep the faith.

Jean
09-29-2007, 09:03 AM
Dear MaryJo,
I think your very wise to have the colonoscopy test. That should be part
of everyone's health maintenance program. The test its self is not the horror that everyone says it is...the prep for the test is more of a bother.
I suggest that you eat light for two days prior to your prep. It will be
much easier as you get ready the day prior to the test.

I had the colonoscopy test right after my dx. and sure enough there was
two small benign (thank the Lord) polyps - which were easily removed.
No pain during or after. Now since my bc dx. and the polyps I have to
have a colonoscopy every three yrs. instead of five.

I am of the thought I would rather check and if anything catch it early.
I am more concerned about not knowing!

I will keep you in my prayers that your test goes smoothly and all is
well. Keep the faith my dear sister.

Big Hugs,
Jean

fauxgypsy
10-03-2007, 04:49 PM
I had a colonoscopy and an endoscopy last week because I had blood in my stool. I thought that it was because of the potassium I was having to take but they wanted to be sure. Which is a good thing. Every thing was fine, no polyps, nothing. I had no discomfort from the procedures at all. My wonderful gastroenterologist told me that it takes 15 years for a polyp to become a cancer so I had nothing to worry about and to see him in 10 years. I hope you get a wonderful report like mine.

Leslie

Mary Jo
10-03-2007, 05:11 PM
Hi Leslie,

Thanks for your information. I hope my tests turn out well too. Today I had the abdominal CT scan so I'll find out those results first. The colonoscopy is October 17th. I guess I am/was more nervous about the CT scan. Afraid of what might be lurking inside, ya know? Oh well....it's finished now and what will be will be.

Again thanks,

Mary Jo

Becky
10-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Mary Jo

I hope your CT scan went well today. I understand your need to get all this done.

I got a colonoscopy in April, 2006. All was well (still have that hemorroid from birthing #1 daughter). Jean gave good advice about eating lightly the 2 days before. Drinking the gallon of Trilyte is no treat - do NOT leave home. Do NOT go on your walks. Be very close to the porclein goddess. But, then it will be done. Even though I had no polyops or anything, because I had bc, they want to do it every 5 yrs versus every 10. Its like Flori said, they really like to make sure. I think it was the reason I got my cyst done so quick - found it Sunday, my onc took me 11am Monday and the tests were yesterday morning. Its good, but its almost too quick.

Flori hit it right though, if something is up.......... But you will find that nothing is but its wonderful to know for sure.

I will be thinking of you on the 17th (but not on the 16th too much!!)

Love to you

Ceesun
10-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Marejo, Best wishes for a positive outcome...try not to worry too much Ceesun

hutchibk
10-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Best wishes for you on the 17th! I too am having a colonoscopy that day. Not chasing anything, but just need to get a screening one under my belt...

Gerri
10-03-2007, 07:01 PM
...and here I thought October was Breast Cancer Awareness month, not colon cancer. I'm having my colonoscopy on Oct 18. We're just having WAY too much fun!

Mary Jo: Hope your CT scan comes out a-okay.

Catherine
10-03-2007, 08:54 PM
Marejo,

You will be in my prayers tonight.

All the best, Catherine

Believe51
10-04-2007, 05:29 AM
As always you are in my prayers and thoughts, I will be saying special prayers on the day of the test but know you remain in my most sacred parts of my heart each and every day!!>>Believe51

Marlys
10-04-2007, 08:55 AM
Marejo,
I get to do these tests on a regular basis because of my Chron's ileitis and colitis. My gastroenterologist has always felt my Chron's was rather insignificant because it is generally a disease of younger people. It came a real surprise to him when I had a cecal volvulous and had to have a right colectomy the end of May. Fortunately there was no malignancy. However I do have some pancreatic issues that showed up on the abdominal CT and I get to have that repeated every 6 months to monitor it. I also have a colonoscopy every year to monitor the "extensive diverticulosis" of the sigmoid colon. So far that has remained stable with no diverticulitis. Gees, I sound like a hypochondriac but that is what this disease can make of us. Follow the advice of Becky et al about the prep for the colonoscopy. They are right on.
Love, hugs, & prayers,
Marlys

KathyCure
10-04-2007, 09:02 AM
I’m Kathy LaTour, a 21-year breast cancer survivor and editor-at-large for CURE and Heal, award-winning magazines that take you through the cancer experience. I wanted to share with the breast cancer community what we’re doing in December at the San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium, one of the largest breast cancer meetings in the world where the latest in research is reported annually. This year, the CURE and Heal staffs will be there, reporting and blogging on the breaking news and advocacy issues. To get our daily reports and webcasts, sign up at www.curetoday.com/eupdates (http://www.curetoday.com/eupdates). If you sign up before Nov. 1 we’ll give you a free year’s subscription to Heal: Living Well After Cancer, the magazine for all cancer survivors. We’re excited about bringing you the news that may bring us one step closer to a cure. We hope you’ll join us. Kathy<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

hutchibk
10-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Hi Kathy! I love Cure Mag and have read it religiously since finding the Fall '03 Breast Cancer issue in my surgeon's office waiting for my biopsy procedure. I was mortified that I might have Breast Cancer, but in that waiting room I still hung on to hope that I didn't... I took that magazine with me that day and it had such incredible information. But the most important info I read in that issue was from a man who was a thriving survivor (not breast, colon I think) who said not to ever ever go looking for percentages and statistics! I have abided by that religiously ever since. Thanks for all that you do at CURE. It is a great resource!

See you in San Antonio. I will be a part of the Her2Support group who will be attending this year!

hutchibk
10-04-2007, 09:17 AM
marly - I have a dear friend (37 yrs) who is on the path to being DXed with Chron's - any helpful info you might have would be greatly appreciated...

Hopeful
10-04-2007, 09:23 AM
Brenda,

I just wanted to react to your choice of words while waiting for your biopsy results - "mortified" is how I felt, too! It is so comforting to me to see that my immediate reaction was not bizzare or just limited to me. Thanks for sharing that.

Marejo,

I wish you the best of luck with your tests.

Hopeful