PDA

View Full Version : here is a new one: favorable long-term results of surgical resection of bc lung mets

Lani
09-28-2007, 06:29 AM
not her2 specific study, but a new/different way to approach the problem with interesting and favorable results

1: Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2007 Sep 27; [Epub ahead of print]
Favourable long-term results after surgical removal of lung metastases of breast cancer.

Yoshimoto M, Tada K, Nishimura S, Makita M, Iwase T, Kasumi F, Okumura S, Sato Y, Nakagawa K.
Breast Oncology Group, Cancer Institute Ariake Hospital, Ariake 3-10-6, Koto-ku, Tokyo, 135-8550, Japan.
We retrospectively evaluated whether a surgical strategy benefits patients with operable lung metastasis of breast cancer. Between 1960 and 2000, 90 patients (mean age 55.1; range 32-77) with lung metastasis (79 solitary, 11 multiple) underwent surgery as follows: wedge resection (n = 10), segmental resection (n = 11), lobectomy (n = 68) and pneumonectomy (n = 1). The metastases were completely resected in 89% of them. One patient died due to surgical complications. The overall 5- and 10-year cumulative overall survival rates were 54% and 40%, respectively (median, 6.3 years). Fifteen patients survived without relapse for over 10 years. They were 24% of those who progressed for 10 years or more after lung surgery. The most significant prognostic factor was disease-free interval (DFI) and stage at breast surgery. The 10-year survival rates of those with >==3 and <3 years of DFI were 47% and 26%, respectively (P = 0.014). Survival times were significantly longer for patients with clinical stage I at breast surgery than those with stage II-IV (P = 0.013). Our data, although limited and highly selective, suggest that surgical approach to lung metastasis from breast cancer may prolong survival in certain subgroups of patients to a greater extent than systemic chemotherapy alone. Surgical approach to lung metastasis of breast cancer, if possible, should be a treatment of choice to a great extent.
PMID: 17899365 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Hopeful
09-28-2007, 07:16 AM
Thanks, Lani. I believe Becky posted that lung mets were the most common first mets from Her2+, so this has particular relevance for the members here.

Hopeful

Faith in Him
09-28-2007, 10:15 PM
This is interesting. Lung mets is my biggest fear. I guess it maybe that I watched my dad suffer through lung cancer eventually losing the battle. I find any advancements encouraging.

CLTann
09-29-2007, 07:24 AM
This is an interesting report indeed. It further shows that metastasis of breast cancer to lung is a totally different disease than lung cancer. As we all know, lung cancer is near to zero survival after five years. Perhaps we are more alert to any symptom after having breast cancer, prompting early detection.

Jean
09-29-2007, 01:05 PM
Just met a lady last Sunday who had bc then one yr later under went
partial lung removal - she is doing extremely well. Has been 2 yrs since
her surgery. I am very pleased to read this article.

Thanks Again Lani,
Jean