PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Mitchell Gaynor on Complementary/Integrative for Stage IV

hutchibk
09-25-2007, 08:35 PM
This was sent around today to my local b/c yahoo support group... I thought it was very informative! Enjoy. Dr. Gaynor is Andi BB's nutritional oncologist, I think...

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Mitchell Gaynor, M.D. is founder and president of Gaynor Integrative Oncology and Asst. Clinical Professor of Medicine at Weill College, affiliated with Cornell University and New York Hospital. He has served on the Executive Review Panel at the Department of Defense – Alternative Medicine for Breast Cancer Sector and the Smithsonian Institute's Symposium on New Frontier in Breast Cancer and the Environment. He is a frequent speaker and lecturer at hospitals, conferences, and universities throughout America and abroad.

Dr. Gaynor has been listed consecutively in The Best Doctors in New York since 1997 and serves on the Board of Advisors for The Sass Foundation for Medical Research, The Center for Environmental Oncology at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center and Healthy Living Magazine as well as the Editorial board at the Journal of Cancer Integrative Medicine. He is also the senior health advocate for the Carriage House Foundation. After receiving his medical degree from the University of Texas-Southwestern Medical School in Dallas, Texas, he was a clinical fellow in hematology-oncology at the New York Hospital-Cornell Medical Center. He is a member of the American Society of Clinical of Oncology and the American College of Physicians.

Question:

What you think is the most important complementary/integrative component for someone who is dealing with my recent Stage IV breast cancer diagnosis?

Dr. Gaynor:

A diagnosis of metastasis breast cancer can initially be a frightening experience. Take advantage of several oncology opinions to make sure you are receiving the best medical treatment options available. In addition there are several things you can do for yourself:

1. Reduce stress - A 1998 study in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute showed that women recovering from breast cancer surgery who had the most stress also had a significant decline in the parts of the immune system responsible for preventing a recurrence of cancer. Stress causes increased levels of a stress hormone called cortisol, produced by the adrenal glands, which interferes with proper immune function. Yoga, meditation, exercise and music therapy have all been found to reduce stress and enhance immune function.. I would encourage you to learn more about these on my website www.drgaynor.com (http://www.drgaynor.com).

2. Support your immune system with smart nutrition. Your immune system is dependent upon a variety of plant-based phytonutrients to function optimally. These include basic vitamins such as A, C and E as well as minerals like zinc and selenium. A major part of the immune system is located in the gut (GALT or gut associated lymphoid tissue) and thus a healthy digestive tract is critical. Consume probiotic bacteria in yogurt or supplement forms as well as foods that nourish these bacteria such as oat bran and flax meal. The probiotic bacteria such as acodophilus and lactobacillus support digestion and help keep GALT optimally functioning.

Bioflavonoids found in wheat germ blueberries and grapes are key for both immune system support and recovery.

Omega-3 fatty acids found in cold deep water fish and fish oil supplements are also important for immune function. Plant-based omega-3 fatty acids are found on flaxseed oil.

Two other nutrients important for both immunity and detoxification are alpha-lipoic acid and NAC (N-acetylcysteine) which keep our bodies supplied with glutathione. Glutathione is a key nutrient which can easily become depleted by toxic overload, inflammation and oxidative stress. Adequate intake of selenium, NAC, and alpha lipoic acid are essential to maintain glutathione levels.

3. Minimize inflammation as this depresses immunity. Natural anti-inflammatory nutrients are found in foods such as rosemary, green tea, curcumin, shitake mushroom and flaxseed. In addition avoid foods which promote inflammation such as alcohol, refined sugars, hydrogenated fats, and white flours.

Mary Anne in TX
09-26-2007, 03:33 AM
Thanks a million for sharing, Brenda! Really appreciate getting the web site! ma

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Oh, how I love my doc! (Dr. Gaynor wrote a book, HEALING ESSENCE, that changed my life, literally! He had me on the first page.) I KNEW I was going survive from his words. Can't explain it... It can be/or at least used to be obtainable by calling his office --
212) 410 - 3820 in Manhattan. I cannot recommend this mind-bending book enough! Inspiring is a gross understatement.

Among the greatest of the supplements I take from this healer oncologist, nutritional expert and wonderful, brilliant man ( all listed in TO "SUPPLEMENT" OR WAIT on this board, last 6/30) -- are the ones that have taken my stomach pain away. I had spasms daily. Grumbling, rumbling, diarrhea, then my belly got hard and knotted. This is what helped me:

ASIDOPHILUS (Lactobacilius Asidopholus) 15-35 gezillion or whatever -- Probiotic, friendly bacteria TWICE A DAY, EVERY DAY. Actually 30 billion viable cells per capsule, maintaining healthy microflora, promotes healthy bowel function. No more IBS!

I also take 1-3 FENNEL SEED (480 mg) throughout the day, as needed, to supplement this supplement! I seem to NEED it all to be *normal*.

Andi

I also meditate, use guided imagery, pray and actively participate in directing by body, with my mind -- all in accordance w/Dr. Gaynor's beliefs. I love this man! May you all be well (body, mind and Soul)!!!

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-26-2007, 06:01 PM
LADIES, PLEASE CHECK OUT DR. GAYNOR'S WEBSITE THAT BRENDA POSTED. Open your mind, and take some time to ingest it all. ESPECIALLY, THE RECENT TV APPEARANCES. They cut to the crux of what Mitch is all about. An oncologist, yes, but a true healer in every sense of the word. Just listen and ponder for a bit.

It is about you as a whole person -- body, mind and Soul. You are a sacred being. Dr. Gaynor's methods are integrative, in addition to conventional medicine, if you choose. I was afraid not to do EVERYTHING. But the lingering effects of what I have learned from this extraordinary human being have become a part of my every day.

All he speaks of (w/Dr. Oz, and re music) is incorporated into my life and has, I have no doubt, extended my life by what I expect will turn out to be many decades. So far so good. May his wisdom bless YOUR life as well! At the very least, set aside some time to hear what he has to offer you. MIRACLES AWAIT YOU...

With much love, ANDI :)