PDA

View Full Version : Bald head care?

Cristina19
09-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Okay, so the hair is coming off (it's already making a mass-exodus). Silly question, perhaps:

Any special advice to care for a naked head? Do I keep using shampoo or regular body soap? What issues will I be facing?

Cristina
=)

hutchibk
09-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Hi Cristina - Not a silly question!

I used a natural baby shampoo while I was bald. Regular body soap is pretty harsh for your scalp...

Each of the three times that I have lost my hair, I have had an itchy rash on my scalp, like hives or something. I don't know many others who have had the same thing, but it usually goes away for me in about 3 weeks.

Margerie
09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I have always had a sensitive scalp- so when it was nekkid it was super sensitive! Someone told me to try Neutrogena T gel (a shampoo) a couple of times a week. It stinks (literally), but my bald head felt pretty good all winter.

hutchibk
09-25-2007, 08:23 PM
You used T-gel? Wow. I tell clients who have really bad dandruff/itchy/dry scalp to use that...

Bev
09-25-2007, 08:32 PM
Hi Christina,

A wig store may have the product. I can't remember the name, which is maybe a good thing. It ended w/ "in". Maybe Nioxin. My scalp hurt while the hair fell out and this menthol sort of conditioner seem to make it feel better. Does not help to keep hair or grow it back. Good luck, BB

Sheila
09-26-2007, 04:21 AM
Christina
*I got a product called Alra mild conditioning shampoo at a local womens cancer place that sells bras, wigs etc. It is made for people going through chemotherapy and contains oil of rosemary which I found to be very soothing on the head.....I have used it every day and it took care of the tingling head.

PinkGirl
09-26-2007, 05:32 AM
Hi Cristina

My scalp was the same when I was bald as it is when I have hair. There might have been a bit more dryness because chemo dried my skin a lot.

I sometimes washed my head with a mild shampoo and sometimes I just rinsed it while I showered. When I was really dry, I rubbed a tiny bit of conditioner on my scalp and rinsed it off. I didn't mind being bald and my husband liked it that it only took me 2 minutes to get ready to go out.:)
I had a bit of a problem with makeup -- I didn't know where to stop blending :) :) :) And, of course, my head was cold in the winter.

hutchibk
09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
I also put conditioner on my scalp a few times a week when I am bald... and moisturizer sometimes when I sleep.

StillHere
09-26-2007, 08:36 AM
Never had the tingly or painful scalp so many experience just before the hair goes bye bye. I remember gently pulling on my hair 14 days after AC started and it seemed to be rooted as strong as ever. On day 16 I took a shower and clumps just came out in my hand and clogged the drain. Called my hairdresser and longtime friend to shave my head on day 17. The part I don't like about being bald is that your disease is out there every minute of every day. Now that I have hair again, I promise not too complain about drying it, Dying it, curling it, etc. ever again. It is so beautiful and crisp outside, I have no idea why I am here in front of the computer before I go to work. I am going for a walk right now. Hope your day is just as beautiful wherever you may be. Karen

tousled1
09-26-2007, 10:22 AM
This is my second round with being bald. I use a very mild baby shampoo to wash my head and then I use a mild conditioner. Gotta keep the scalp conditioned. I also use body lotion at night on my head. I may not have any hair but at least my head is smooth as a baby's ------!

janet11
09-26-2007, 11:27 AM
I used my normal shampoo + conditioner... but just needed a VERY small bit (*smile*). It felt good on my scalp, and was fun to keep at least PART of my routine the same as before chemo.

madubois63
09-26-2007, 11:51 AM
You do have to continue to shampoo while bald. It will keep you from getting ingrown hairs - ouch! I used baby shampoo, but I like the suggestions of the menthol/tingly stuff. I have heard that rosemary helps stimulate hair growth. Check out http://www.heavenlyhats.com/ (http://www.heavenlyhats.com/) for free hats and scaves (designer). Also check out http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org/ (http://www.lookgoodfeelbetter.org/) for free makeup and hair/wig/skin care tips. You get to go home with a big box of free makup (Avon, Clinique, Mary Kay...).

If you decide to shave (really good idea at this point), you can use one of those tape lint brushes to get the last of the nubbies. Everyone thought I was nuts, but it works really well.