PDA

View Full Version : Actonel vs Fosamax

Liz J.
09-24-2007, 05:31 PM
Hi All HER2 Family.

I was prescribed Fosamax about a year ago as a precautionary measure. I normally take what is prescribed without question, but I checked out Fosamax on the web and found so many issues along with many law suits from severe side effects. My last bone density was in 1/07 and it came out ok so I just take my calcium with D. My DRs. are insisting that I take the Fosamax. Now, my mother-in-law was prescribed Actonel. She is 79 and a former smoker. I am just trying to find out if one is safer than the other. I checked the web but it got too confusing. Is anyone taking either and if so how are you doing on it? Please advise.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Liz J.

Jean
09-24-2007, 09:04 PM
Liz,
I am taking actonel, I am taking an AI and my onc. said due to the AI
I need to take the actonel. We choose actonel since it is easier on the
stomach. I had a bone density test in 2005/and one in 2006 I had improvment while on Actonel. I had a very slight bone loss on my right hip which has improved while on Actonel. I also take calicum and of course
eat foods high in calicum. Will be due for another bone density test.

Best of Luck,
Jean

tricia keegan
09-25-2007, 11:42 AM
Jean do you take Actonel weekly like fosamax?? I'm thinking I may ask my onc to switch me to this as I believe it would be easier on my stomach, I still have to take nexium daily to relieve problems I've had since chemo ended.

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-25-2007, 12:02 PM
During chemo I was dx w/osteopenia (the beginning of osteoporosis). I was alarmed, naturally. My GYN conferred w/a friend of his who was a rheumatologist(?sp) and he suggested I be put on PROPHYLACTIC DOSAGE OF FOSAMAX. HALF DOSAGE. This was 100 yrs ago when you took it daily! I then went to weekly. I think they now have mnthly.

Anyway, after 6 yrs (bond dens tests ev 2 yrs) I was told my bones were beautiful and to discontinue the Fosamax. I had no idea ones' bones could improve, I had hoped to retard further deterioration. This is fabulous. And remains still true. And, of course I do the calcium 600 w/D 400 twice a day. I have also been advised to take D3 1,000 for bones by my nut/onc (nutritonal oncologist guru/expert/healer) BTW!
BE WELL!
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06