PDA

View Full Version : Uri

BonnieR
09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
Well, my husband has officially announced that he feels "terrible" and is coming down with a cold/URI. He was out earlier and brought home some face masks. Would that really make a difference? And who would wear it, him or me? (I guess ME). Should we sleep in separate rooms? I am having my 4th chemo on Wed., my blood count was low last time and I cannot afford to catch a cold...I am also worried because we have both been the same places and with the same people so I fear I may be next. But if ONE of us had to get sick I guess it is better that it is him......

tried unsuccessfully to edit title to read "URI"!!

Barbara H.
09-23-2007, 06:09 PM
Hi Bonnie,
There is no way you will not be exposed to colds and if you catch one, it is not the end of the world. I taught third graders through out the time I was receiving AC plus T. I used to joke that it was like living in a petri dish in my classroom. The students had colds and even Strep. My counts were also low. I did catch one or two colds, but they were no worse than when I wasn't receiving chemo. The hardest part was day 3 and 4 when my bones ached from the Taxol. I was told Taxol would be that easiest, but for me it was harder because I had that bone pain. Of course, it is better to avoid getting sick on Chemo, but if it happens you will get through it.
Good luck,
Barbara H.

Sheila
09-23-2007, 06:10 PM
Bonnie
You need to wear the mask, although you have probably been exposed already....maybe take in some extra Vitamin C...I always use Airborne, but I wouldn't take any type of supplements before checking with your onc.
Saying a prayer that you won't get the "bug".

Becky
09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
I got a cold while on AC chemo. I did have to take antibiotics and it lasted a longgggggggggg time, but I was okay. I had chemo the winter when there were not enough flu shots to go around. My daughter came home with the flu and even though I got a shot, we barricaded her to her room (got her some Tamiflu) and nobody else got sick.

Wash, wash, wash your hands all the time. Get Purell gel and use that too. Get those Clorox wipes and wipe doorknobs and the phones. Try to not catch it if you can because everyone is different and every cold is different and you have to try to stay well if you can. Have the hubby sleep elsewhere.

chrisy
09-23-2007, 08:30 PM
Becky's right!
You can't avoid being around people with colds or worse (especially if it's your hubby!). But you can reduce your chances of catching it by being meticulous with hygiene. I did get the flu while on chemo after letting my guard down at the movies. Seeing The Incredibles at a matinee was probably not the best idea. Talk about petri dish!

If you do get sick, it's not the end of the world...but if you can avoid it that's better.

Bev
09-23-2007, 08:50 PM
Working out has been my secret weapon against catching stuff. Even on chemo, just not as hard or often. I don't know why it works. Bev

hutchibk
09-23-2007, 11:25 PM
haha - I was wondering who "Uri" was...

Bonnie - you might want to ask your doc about getting a flu shot if you haven't already - I am getting mine next week...

tousled1
09-24-2007, 07:45 AM
Bonnie,

It's important for you to wear the mask. I know when my white blood count gets low I'm told to wear a mask in order to reduce the chance of getting an infection. Also, don't forget to ask about the flu shot since flu season will soon be upon us.

BonnieR
09-24-2007, 08:01 AM
thanks everyone. I have a phone call in to the onc office. I thought I read somewhere that flu shots were contraindicated when one was on chemo. I am glad to hear that I may have been misinformed. That is why this board is such a blessing.

hutchibk
09-24-2007, 08:34 AM
My doc ALWAYS ordered a flu shot when I was on chemo that knocked my WBC down. My counts are in great shape these days... Xeloda doesn't do much to me, so I don't know if he will have me get one this year.

chrisy
09-24-2007, 10:33 AM
My oncologist's office DOES the flu shots. Of course, maybe that's because they have one headstrong chemo nurse who refuses to get one and then always gets sick...