PDA

View Full Version : loss of taste

Joy
09-23-2007, 06:49 AM
Well maybe I never really had any taste anyway. But about 3 days ago, I suddenly couldn't taste anything. It is very weird to eat something and have it only be a texture. It is really bugging me. I don't know if it is from xeloda, tykerb, minocycline, effexor, trazedone, coumadin or what (man that is a lot of medication for someone still, barely but still, in their 30's).

Does anyone have any thoughts? I have defineitely had temporary changes in my tasters through the years and treatments, all of which were expected. But this is a little different and very annoying.

tousled1
09-23-2007, 08:08 AM
Joy,

I don't think you're alone in loosing your taste. I know food just doesn't seem to taste very good to me. It seems like one day I'll love the taste of something and the next day just can't stand it. I attribute it to all the toxic chemicals that are being pumped into my body. If these drugs are strong enough to kill off cancer cells they certainly can affect our taste buds. I've adopted the attitude that I will eat what I want when I want and hopefully it will taste somewhat good. Not only does food taste differently or have no taste at all - I also find that what I drink changes constantly. One day iced tea will taste good but the next day I can't stand it and I'll be drinking water or orange soda -- I just keep changing until I find something that tastes good and will quench my thirst.

tricia keegan
09-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Joy I had this on a/c and it was driving me nuts! I recall one day eating a pineapple which tasted to me like an onion..ugh.... I bought a spray called Mouthkote which helped right before a meal, my friend use to freeze cranberry juice in cubes and suck on that before eating.
I don't know if anything like this may work for you but I know it's horrible, I lost a lot of weight just because i could'nt be bothered eating if there was no taste!! Hope it gets better soon:)

mts
09-24-2007, 05:35 AM
What about your sense of smell ?

PinkGirl
09-24-2007, 05:55 AM
Hi Joy
I have never heard of a complete loss of taste, just the regular strange tastes that seem to go along with chemo. I was going to recommend something very tart, like lemon, but that won't help if you can't taste anything ! Wish this had happened to me :) Everything tastes too good to me !

Ann in Boston
09-24-2007, 06:57 AM
Joy,

I had this happen when I was on Herceptin & Navelbine and my onc diagnosed it as a sinus infection. I needed a course of antibiotics to clear it up.

HTH

Ann in Boston

Believe51
09-24-2007, 07:23 AM
Since Ed has Tykerb/Xeloda he has mentioned the lack of taste. His previous chemotherapy did effect his tastebuds, but differently. Right now he is having trouble 'tasting' anything. This makes it harder now than before with his eating difficulties. Right now he cannot afford to lose anymore weight, so he does have to choke down things that do not taste and texture seems like it has changed to which is making it even more 'gagable'. Sorry I can not help more.

I hope that anyone with an answer can help, but in the mean time I will be exploring this post for us. Hopefully with good results. In the mean time I am sucking down a caramel latte in your honor my sweet friend. Keep the faith. And how did the date go??

Thankful that you are keeping us posted>>Believe51

Karen Weixel
09-24-2007, 07:48 AM
Taxol did it to me.

Karen