PDA

View Full Version : Gamma Knife Monday

Esther
09-21-2007, 04:57 PM
I seem to have a stubborn little tumor that just refuses to give up! The original lesion in my cerebellum that was found in Jan 2006, and was treated via X-knife, then regrew and was surgically removed in March of this year at Cedars-Sinai.

Well, in early August I felt some pressure in my cerebellum again, and the MRI showed a speck that was under 1mm. Follow-up MRI on the 14th of Sept. showed it to be 2 mm now. This is considered a recurrence of the same lesion in the cerebellum.

I am so sensitive that I can feel the 2 mm lesion and it is making me nauseas. So I will have Gamma Knife done at Cedars-Sinai on Monday the 24th of Sept.

I'd appreciate your prayers and positive thoughts that this procedure will once and for all decimate this stubborn little brain mets lesion.

I've been on Tykerb and Xeloda for about 4 months now, does this mean that they are not working for me? Or does it take longer to see the results?

lilyecuadorian
09-21-2007, 05:45 PM
I did hav that novelus (like gamma knife) and like katie said is like "walk on the park " ....good luck and God will be with you and your doctors

tousled1
09-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Esther,

My heart goes out to you. How devasting that this is recurring. Hopefully the GammaKnife will take care of this pesky met once and for all. I don't think that this means you are failing on your treatment plan. Everyone is different and it may be just a matter of time until the Tykerb/Xeldo kick in and do their magic. I'm so sorry that you have to go through all this again but you did it before and you can do it again! Keep positive thoughts. I will be praying that the Gammaknife procedure will just blast this met into oblivion! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Rendi69CA
09-21-2007, 06:18 PM
I hate that you have to go though it again. I want to wish you that everything goes well. You are in my prayer.

Rendi

kareneg
09-21-2007, 06:44 PM
Dear Esther,

You are in my thought and prayers. And may Monday's procedure be the last on you ever have.

hutchibk
09-21-2007, 08:28 PM
All the best Esther. I will send prayers your way.

Becky
09-21-2007, 09:30 PM
I am thinking about you Esther.

sherri
09-21-2007, 09:37 PM
This is another mountain to climb, but you are a great climber. you are in my thoughts.

StephN
09-22-2007, 12:05 AM
Gosh, Esther.
Darned if I know how a lesion that was SURGICALLY removed can regrow!

I hope it is just some kind of scarring and not really a tumor. But the pits of this brain met situation is that with the current scan technology they CAN'T tell the difference.

Guess if you feel queasy, that is a symptom and where there are symptoms there are tumors. Gamma Knife was good against my tumors - just gave me radiation necrosis. Since your spot is so small, it should not require as much "ray time" and hopefully that won't happen.

Good thoughts and blessings for good outcome sent your way. http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon12.gif

jones7676
09-22-2007, 01:46 AM
I had gamma knife surgery to the spot where a brain met was removed surgically a few months after the surgery and I have not had a recurrence there in over a year. Maybe the combo is what you need! I hope this does it. Gamma knife itself was easy compared to all the other things that I've been through with this darn disease. Good luck.

Sheila
09-22-2007, 06:05 AM
Esther
You are in my thoughts and prayers that this met will be blasted into obliviation Monday...never to bother you again...then let the T/X keep you NED forever!

pattyz
09-22-2007, 06:11 AM
Esther,
Ofcourse you have our prayers and good thoughts!

I am just surprised that you would get the ok to radiate the same area again.

Hope you are treated with the utmost compassion and best of care.

xoxopattyz

Barbara H.
09-22-2007, 06:20 AM
Hi Esther,
I agree with Steph. There is a possibility that it could be radiation necrosis. It is difficult to determine that from the MRI. I would ask about it. I will be thinking of you.
Barbara

caya
09-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Esther,

I am praying for a completely successful procedure for you on Monday,with a complete and speedy recovery.

Out, out, damned spot!!

all the best
caya

Mary Anne in TX
09-22-2007, 11:43 AM
I'll be cheering for that "zap machine" to wipe those little devils totally out! Here's lots of prayers and kind wishes coming your way for now, and Monday too! ma

Esther
09-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Pattyz, I was surprised also at being able to do SRS to the same lesion twice. The team at Cedars-Sinai is the best though. Since I am feeling nauseas and it's making me miserable, they are making a special scheduling for me on the 24th. I'll check in at 6:30 am, and be seen before their 1st scheduled appt. That is very thoughtful of them to not make me wait for a regular opening in their schedule.

StephN, I was surprised that it was tumor also. But I am so sensitive and the nausea I am feeling convinced me that it is fact a tumor lesion.

Joe
09-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Patty Z

Christine's radiation oncologist told her that he would have no problem treating the same tumor twice with Gamma Knife.

Regards
Joe

R.B.
09-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Hope it goes well

RB

lilyecuadorian
09-22-2007, 04:52 PM
good to know about treated twice with gamma knife (I hope so we can treat more then twice ....thanks Joe and Esther for the inf ....

chrisy
09-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Esther, sorry that you are getting to be such a good customer! I don't think that necessarily means the T/X is not working. And although nausea is miserable, it's good you are so exquisitely sensitive that your body can detect an anomaly so SMALL.
And of course, you have my prayers for a successful 'zapping'

Julie2
09-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Esther,

I wish you all the best with the procedure.

Julie

Lolly
09-22-2007, 10:11 PM
Esther, I'll be thinking of you Monday, and hope the nausea is resolved quickly. Let us know how it goes, and prayers go out for a great outcome.

<3 Lolly

Vanessa
09-22-2007, 10:12 PM
I hope everything goes well on Monday and I will be keeping you in my prayers.

Jean
09-23-2007, 12:30 AM
Esther,
I am glad you are so in tune with your body...catching that nasty met while it is so tiny...

9:30 AM my time on the East coast - I will be saying a special prayer
for you. Sending you much love,
Jean

Joy
09-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Esther, I wrote your name all over tomorrow in my calendar and I will hold you all day. I so hope all goes well and really hope the nausea subsides (that is so debilitating). You have gotten some good reinforcement here with your decision to gamma again. You have continued to do well on T/X in your body and that is great and could very well still be the case. The cerebellum is, as I understand, a smidge different from the rest of the brain, so maybe we don't know exactly how T/X affects all parts of the brain. I pray it is still working for you,