PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got immune response to UW DNA vaccine?

Julie2
09-21-2007, 11:49 AM
I know couple of our members participated in the University of Washington's DNA vaccine phase1 trial. I am one of them. Any of you got immune response to this vaccine?(I did not get so far)

Thanks,
Julie

sherri
09-21-2007, 09:48 PM
Julie,

It seems I had response, but they told me they don't know if it's good or bad? Did you contact them? Any feedback? How are you doing now, is the chemo working for you?

Big hug,

Margerie
09-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Julie,

I guess I probably did. Was vaccinated Jan, Feb, March.

First visit, I asked what the goal was, immune response-wise, of the study. They said they would like to see an immune response of 2.0 (post-vaccination index SI) or higher in each patient. I noticed later in the paperwork that a positive immune response is defined as SI of >3.0.

They said many times the initial assays may not show an immune response, but that the more sensitive assay they run once or twice a year can show one. "So do not get discouraged initially." After my 2nd vaccine, the labs came back with SI of 2.4, or something close- wish I had written it down. I was very happy, but since reading the 3.0, hope it goes higher.

They did not run any assays on my March 2007 (third vaccine) visit, or anything later. I beleive thay mentioned they are still trying to process stuff from another study. I was just there earlier in the week.

I bet if you call, they can answer your questions. The impression I got was that it is not unusual to not see the immune response with the "modified limited dilution assay" that is initially completed. And they only run the big one (ELIspot) once a year with everyone's stored samples.

I did find out they hope to finish enrolling patients by the end of the year- so the data will be ready 2 years later than that.

I hope it turns out you got a good immune response!