PDA

View Full Version : Placed On the extended program

Sheila
09-21-2007, 06:18 AM
Well, I found out yesterday when I went for #11 of 12 treatments, that the Oncologist has ordered 6 more cycles...each cycle being 28 days...I did convince her to go to 2 treatments every 28 days instead of 3...so I will now be getting the Taxol 2x a month instead of 3..to coincide with Herceptin every 2 weeks and Avastin every 2 weeks....the good news is I have eliminated 1 IV push Decadron a month in all of this, and for that I am greatful. So instead of being done in 2 weeks, I should finish in March...the chemo nurses did tell me that although my hair is coming back in slowly, Imay get some reversal as the Taxol dose has now been increased by going every 2 weeks....guess I won't be burning my scarves or wig anytime soon. The reasoning behind this is, in the past, after success with a cycle treatment, I have been given "time off for good behavior" so to speak. Each time, the nodes come back with a vengence, and the treatment never seems to take the same punch second time around. This will give a double whammy to the nodes, and hopefully get me to NED for awhile.
As always, thank you all for the advice, wisdom and love you give me by coming online to this group everyday!

caya
09-21-2007, 06:23 AM
Hi Sheila,

I am praying that those nodes disappear forever, and that you will be dancing with NED for many, many years.

all the best
Caya

Becky
09-21-2007, 07:25 AM
I am always thinking of you Sheila. When its NED and the white counts are good, let's go to Miami Ink like we said we would when we were together in Texas (all be it under the influence of Cosmos and Chocolate Martinis) and get our tatoos!

Love,

DonnaD
09-21-2007, 09:31 AM
Sheila,
Thanks for keeping us informed about your treatment schedule. I know you will not miss that dose of Decadron. The way time flies, March will be here before you know it. Do you do hats? I have several I would love to share with you. You did look great in the scarf I saw. Are you still going in on Thursdays?

You are in my prayers daily dear friend.
Donna

chrisy
09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Well sister,
I guess its a mixture of disappointment and resolve to COMPLETELY subdue those dumb nodes. Continuing to hold them down just when they were thinking the attack was over may be just the ticket. I hope so!

And great negotiating on the schedule - saves not just a decadron IV but also a huge round trip commute each month, which you will really appreciate during that lovely midwestern winter! I'm gearing up for our visit to Glenview over Christmas - I'm such a wimp now. If you're infusing the week of Christmas let me know and maybe I can come by and "visit". Maybe slip a bit of choc martini in the IV when they're not looking.

If it makes you feel better and you want to burn something, there's always your bra!
Much love
Chris

tousled1
09-21-2007, 10:43 AM
Sheila,

Sorry that your treatment plan has to be extended but if that's what it takes it's worth it. Glad you were able to get the Taxol every 2 weeks instead of every week -- I know what you mean about the Decadron. Now that you only have to go every 2 weeks you'll have extra time to indulge yourself.

Believe51
09-21-2007, 12:08 PM
Sorry to hear you are not on parole yet, but happy to hear the plan to knock them mets into oblivion!! Double whammy 'em Girl!!! I know how far your treatment is from your home so getting those treatments spread out a bit and the 1 less Decadron is a major plus I am sure of that one!!! I am so happy you have updated us because you have been in my thoughts so much lately. I am on a protest: 'No More Nodes'!! LOL. I want to thank you back for coming to this site also to follow our missions too. That is what makes this site rule!! The family we have here are all right behind you Sheila, we are protecting you from all negative energy!! I have you in my heart and hold you there closely, shielding you from whatever I can. Praying that the nodes finally get the hint. Go away ugly little nodes, you are bothersome and nasty....you are not wanted here and never were. Not to mention that they do not want to continue their fight, a fight against Sheila...ha, they are in trouble!!

Please remember that the first one to NED must save a seat for the other. There will be Jasmine and Honeysuckle when you arrive, I asked for them to be there waiting for us!! Tables lined with Chocolate Martini's and all things indulgent will lace the gardens. In the back will be a firepit that will allow us to burn all hats, scarves, tokes, barets.....and yes Chrissy...bras!! LOL you crazy girl!! Truely I am hoping that you save a dance for me, I will need hold you to tell you how happy I am to see you dancing with NED!! Sweet whispers from me will remind you of how much you empowered me all this time. You will look into my tearing eyes when I tell you how you have helped me on our journey, that I am this person partly because you have taught me the meaning of what it means to fight. The hours for the NED party are endless so just show up when you can and bring a friend! Remember that I shall be the one smiling from the inside out!!

And Sheila, please keep Chrissy away from the IV's...LOL!! I send the biggest hugs and prayers, sprinkled with love and positive healing energy!!>>Believe51

StephN
09-21-2007, 12:29 PM
Dear Sheila -
The above phrase is the philosophy that my med onc took in regards to my aggressive liver mets. Thus when (after 3 months) I had a scan that showed only 3 small spots that were hard to distinguish between scar and shrinking mets, he said I want you to take three more treatments and we will scan again.

Since I was on weekly, I knew there was an end, and had to swallow the pill and agree.

Knowing that there can still be thousands if not millions of cancer cells that are not visible by scan, I felt this was a good way to just continue the attack. It was a good decision, as I have remained NED, as hard as it was to tolerate the extra treatments.

I am thinking positive for you, that "no time off for good behavior" (we know you ALWAYS behave!) will make the difference this time.

Then you get your whole life back as a reward, even though you are not quite the same. In my opinion getting off treatment with a good prognosis is better than "guerilla raids" against the mets from time to time.

GO GET THEM!

Vanessa
09-23-2007, 07:28 PM
I hope your new extended program does the trick. I was expecting to be through with chemo in November, but my sentence has been increased until January, to make sure the spots in my lymph nodes get a double whammy. Good luck to you and I am praying that you obtain and remain NED indefinately. Good luck with your new regiman.