PDA

View Full Version : Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure

Mary Jo
09-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Good Evening Ladies and Gents,

On Sunday, September 23rd, my sister, myself and 2 friends are participating in the Susan G. Komen Race For The Cure in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've always wanted to particpate in this event but haven't as of yet. Sunday is the day. I'm sure it will be an awesome experience with waves of emotions being felt.

I want each of you to know that YOU will be in my thoughts and prayers as I participate. I will think of you - pray for God's Peace for you - and thank Him for allowing me the opportunity to "meet" you in the cyber world.

Me and sister are doing the 5K walk and my 2 friends are walking a mile walk. There is a continental breakfast for the survivors and a guest. There is a survivor recognition and many other events planned. I'm looking forward to it all and am thankful I am here to participate.

So dear friends, my heart holds each of you and I pray a CURE is close. As the commercial for the Susan G. Komen walk says "one day this will ONLY be a walk"

God's Peace to all,

Mary Jo

Sheila
09-20-2007, 06:53 PM
Mary JoI did it here in Illinois a few times...by far one of the most emotional rewarding things I have been in....YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!
We will be rooting you on in spirit and love.

hutchibk
09-20-2007, 08:02 PM
It is so much fun and uplifting - I have done the one in Austin the last 3 years. I am so sad that it looks like I won't be in town for the one this year...

Have fun MaryJo!

Faith in Him
09-20-2007, 08:05 PM
Best wishes for the walk. I'm sure it will be a great experience. I have found that there is nothing like being around a bunch of survivors. They are wonderful people. I am doing one in my area next week. Believing for a cure, too.

Sherryg683
09-20-2007, 08:17 PM
One tip, be sure you get in the right line or you'll get some mean looks. I participated in it right after I was diagnosed. They had all the survivors get together before the walk. I didn't notice that there were sections divided into how many years you were a survivor. I accidentally got in the 30 years and more survivor section and was quickly told by some old gal that I need to go back down with the "babies" where I belonged..LOL. I thought it was funny but I will make dang sure I don't make the same mistake again...sherry

Vanessa
09-20-2007, 08:30 PM
I am participating in the Houston walk on October 6th. I will have to remember your advice Sherry. I have already received my survivor t-shirt in the mail.

StillHere
09-20-2007, 09:09 PM
Mary Jo
Maybe I will see you at the walk on Sunday. My daughter has been the co-chair for getting corporate sponsorship for the Milwaukee rally for the past two years. Unfortunately they do not have enough volunteers to cover the many hours it takes all year long to make this happen. She has been lucky that her boss has allowed her to participate in numerous conference calls concerning the Rally during company time. She said at times it is like having a second full time job so she is bowing out after the rally this Sunday. My husband, I and the kids are also golfing for the cure on Sat. 9/22 at the Bog. We have done this as a family outing for the past 3 years. Great fun, wonderful raffles. I won a hybrid # 7 rescue iron the first year. Wish I had a whole set of those. My son won the 50/50 raffle and gave $100.00 of his $350.00 winnings back to the cause. He would of given more back, but he was going to Las Vegas for a bachalor party the next week. I was very proud that he even thought to give a portion back when he won. Looks like it is shaping up to be a gorgeous weekend weather wise. Peace Karen

Debra
09-21-2007, 08:59 PM
Marejo -

I've done the walk twice in Minneapolis and it is a very uplifting experience. It is so calming to be surrounded by so many women that are "fighting the fight" together. I didn't feel alone for the first time when I entered that walk!
Thanks for thinking of all your "sisters"!

Emelie
09-23-2007, 08:09 AM
Hi ladies,
I got to Sleep in for the Cure in St Louis and now that I live in Denver, have volunteered to help set up a booth in the Pepsi Center on Sat. before the race and will probably walk Sunday morning in the race. Not sure of that as we leave at 5:30 PM the same day for Florence. I am sure I would sleep better if I walked.
All I can say is I feel so honored and so glad I am able to participate in this cause.
Here's to all of us survivors and our spirit and dedication to bet this monster.
Will walk with a smile for all of us.
Emelie

Patricia
09-23-2007, 02:29 PM
I did the Race for the Cure today in SF with my daughter and friends. It was very moving and hopeful, especially when the 35+ year survivors got on stage! The tears were flowing by then... Hope you had a good walk too Marejo!

In SF alone we raised almost $500K!!

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
I did the Susan Komen 3- day walk last year and never experienced anything so wonderful. We encountered so many many wonderful,beautiful giving people. I cried for two weeks just thinking about it afterward.

We are getting ready again to have ours here in Tampa on Oct 19th for 3 days and am looking forward to having a great time again and knowing that we are raising money for more research.

Hope you had a great time and you must tell us about it.

Mary Jo
09-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Hi Irene,

I did have a wonderful time. Very wonderful. The weather was simply perfect - light breeze, sunshine and 73 degrees. The most amazing people and lots of support and love.

My sister and I walked in the 5K walk (3.1 miles) and my 2 friends did the 1 mile walk. We met up after our walks were concluded and walked around through all the tents set up - give aways etc. We participated in the survivor parade (me and my friend - sis and other friend are not survivors). Me and friend walked in the 0 - 5 year survivor parade. As the survivor years went up and the speeches were said there were tears shed.

A nice day. As I walked I did thank the Lord for me being a live - for the beautiful weather and for all I've learned along the way.

Love and God's Peace,

Mary Jo

Sheila
09-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Marejo and Patricia
Thank you both for walking today....for yourselves and for all of us....we are providing for our future with the monies raised in this walk....Irene, you are next!

Patricia
09-23-2007, 08:29 PM
So glad you had a great day Marejo. It was the 1st time for me. I wanted to do it last year, but felt that I really wasn't emotionally or physically ready to do it. After today, I wish that I had at least gone and felt the love, support and most of all hope that I felt there today. I walked with my daughter and some friends and it was up and down the Embarcadero in SF. We got back to the plaza just in time for the survivor walk and I walked with the <5year survivors. I had my 18 year old daughter go up on stage with me, because I needed her support and arms around me. One by one, each group went up and the crowd (survivors and others) all cheered each time. Once we were all on stage a woman from Dockers who lost her Mom to bc sang Melissa Etheridge's "I Run for Life". We were all on stage and were swaying to the song while the press and the crowd took pictures. I had every one of my Her2 sisters with me in my heart when I was surrounded by all those survivors, especially those of you that are in active treatment and all our special angels.

I really encourage anyone here who has not participated to do it - it will warm you and if you can't do the walk, just go and feel the love! and like Sheila said - we are providing for our futures! and the futures of our children and grandchildren

Hugs,
Patricia