PDA

View Full Version : pain, and its relief, have been a recent topic here so I thought I would post this

Lani
09-20-2007, 08:53 AM
For those in pain, I hope this info is useful. Many others may not have pain, but are afraid of the future. I hope this info is like ammo to store up... This article addresses the fact that a very simple method is effective, even for pain from advanced cancer

ABSTRACT: Effects of Electromyography Biofeedback-Assisted Relaxation on Pain in Patients With Advanced Cancer in a Palliative Care Unit [Cancer Nursing]
Most patients with advanced cancer experience pain. However, many cancer patients do not find satisfaction with conventional treatment of pain relief. This study examined the effect of electromyography (EMG) biofeedback-assisted relaxation on cancer-related pain in advanced cancer patients. We hypothesized that changes in EMG activity in frontal muscles underlie the efficacy of EMG biofeedback-assisted relaxation. This was a randomized control study. The experimental group (n = 12) received 6 EMG biofeedback-assisted relaxation sessions over a 4-week period, whereas the control group (n = 12) received conventional care. The primary efficacy measure was the level of pain, measured by the Brief Pain Inventory. Findings: from this study show that relaxation training supplemented with visual and auditory EMG biofeedback signals is effective in reducing cancer-related pain in advanced cancer patients, possibly through a mechanism of attenuation of physiological arousal. Electromyography biofeedback-assisted relaxation training may be used along with medications for effective pain management in patients with advanced cancer.