PDA

View Full Version : Finally getting pain relief

Sherryg683
09-18-2007, 07:17 PM
As some of you may know I have suffered with what I thought was residual pain from having shingles in January. Went to Neurologist and other doctors and was told I would have to wait it out. The pain didn't get any better. It was terrible burning between shoulders and radiating around my whole head. I was on pain pills for 8 months. I was sitting at my kitchen table one day in terrible pain and I said a prayer "please God, help give me some relief from this pain". I had the newspaper in front of me and I looked down and saw an add for "The Pain Management Center". I figured it was God sending me a message, so I immediately called them. After a week of MRI's on every inch of my body they found that the pain was not from the shingles but from bad arthritis running in my neck and spine. I have 2 compressed discs in my neck causing the radiating pain in my head. And I also have degenerative dics in my lower back. I have had 2 cervical epidurals and will have the final 3rd one on Friday. They are quick and painless and I am almost totally pain free, no more pain pills. I'm even thinking about picking up my tennis racket again! They treat pain from cancer too. To those of you that may be in a lot of pain, it's worth checking out a pain clinic in your area...sherryg683

caya
09-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Sherry,

I am glad that you found out what was causing your pain and that the Pain Clinic was able to help you. I will keep this is mind, as I have had intermittent left knee pain, which I keep thinking is a side effect from Herceptin and/or Tamoxifen.

all the best
caya

chrisy
09-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Dear Sherry,
I am SO excited to read this news! I can almost feel your relief. I know you've been suffering with this for some time. Also, it must have been frustrating to be told "live with it" and feel that nothing could be done. I'm so glad this has proved wrong.

Answered prayers are miracles, indeed.

Joanne S
10-31-2007, 10:34 PM
Sherry, Checking on you. Congrats---Sounds like the cervical epidurals are doing the trick for you. Do you have to have anesthesia? Is this also known as cortisone therapy? If so, How many injections do you get at a time? Hope you are still relatively pain free?

Compounding my post mastectomy pain syndrome and C7 Radiculopathy* (affecting my bc side), yesterday I was diagnosed with arthritis in my neck, shoulder and spine. I am finally getting some relief with the help of Neurotin and Motrin, along with physical therapy and traction.

*FYI---Cervical Radiculopathy, it is very similar to sciatic pain but affects a nerve in the neck rather than the lumbar spine. Irritation or compression of a nerve in the neck leads to some pain in the neck with more severe pain spreading down the arm. The pain can also be associated with tingling and numbness in the arm and hand, and weakness in the arm. The distribution of the pain and numbness in the arm is dependent upon the nerve root affected, the nerves on the right and left are numbered C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, C7, C8 and T1. The commonest nerves affected are C5-C7.

hutchibk
10-31-2007, 10:51 PM
There are a few of us now who have been dxed recently (MRI) with arthritis in the neck... interesting. Me, Sherry, and Pat B.

Mine is still very mild pain wise, but when the time comes, you know I will heed your advice and seek out a local pain center!

I am so happy that you have found relief. And proud of you for taking the bull by the horns and looking further for help!

Mary Anne in TX
11-01-2007, 03:47 AM
Thanks Sherry. I have the same pain in the neck and head from arthritis also. Kicked in after radiation. I knew it would come someday because I knew I had the disc thing in the neck like my dad, but radiation just excelerated the time. Thanks so much for the info, but most of all for the "gonna pick up that racket" information! Great news, girl! ma