PDA

View Full Version : Foods that contain estrogen ?

Jean
09-16-2007, 07:48 PM
I realize certain foods contain estrogen...
Here is my question - has anyone heard that artifical sweetners can
raise estrogen levels (such as Splendra)?

Thanks All,
Jean

hutchibk
09-16-2007, 08:52 PM
I don't use the artificial sweetners, sorry, wish I could help. All I know about Splenda is that it is the healthiest of the pink/blue/yellows...as it isn't made of chemicals, it is made of real sugar. It is processed with chlorine when it is made, though, so I stear clear.

Karen Weixel
09-16-2007, 09:19 PM
I don't use artificial sweetners either.

Karen

Becky
09-17-2007, 03:53 AM
Splenda is table sugar in which 3 of the hydroxyl groups (OH groups) have been replaced by chlorine. Because the body does not recognize this molecule as food, it passes out unchanged and unused (hence, no calories).
Splenda hasn't really been around long enough for its safety to be completely studied - but in answer to your question, it is not estrogenic.

Many fruits, vegetables and grains contain some phytoestrogens. Those that have the very largest amounts include soy and flax (the seed and not the oil).

Jean
09-17-2007, 06:37 AM
Thanks Becky,
additional question on estrogen...have there been any studies on woman
with very low weight / or/ ideal weight and estrogen levels? I find it intersting that one size AI dose seems to fit all. I realize that studies
demostrated the dose to be effective to control estrogen for all. I was just wondering how that fits in across the board. For instance, a woman
who is under weight /on the other side of the fence / over weight.

My onc. does not do regular follow up estrogen levels...do you think
this is something that should be done?

Thanks,
Big Hug
Jean

Jean
09-17-2007, 06:53 AM
I am a bit concerned as my son drinks diet snapple...do you believe this
product with the artifical sweetner is dangerous? I do not know what
artifical sweetner is in snapple.

Thx,
jean

Becky
09-17-2007, 08:31 AM
My motto is that about 62% of the human body is water - not diet coke, not Snapple, not Mountain Dew.

Therefore, most of the liquid you consume should be water.