PDA

View Full Version : Off Herceptin - Hope I had Enough

Donna
09-15-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi Amazing Group,

My MUGA score is improving, up from 52 to 61, but - because it took 4 months to come back up my oncologist said it wouldn't be worth it for me to go back on. My year of herceptin would have been up in Oct. and she doesn't start over from where I left off, so I would only have one more treatment. She said the FinHer results along with the fact that the HERA study was on Herceptin given long after chemo instead of concurrently was basically supporting that I had enough with 7 months worth. Also I am early stage, only 1 node. Hope she's right.

So, I am ready to celebrate - I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!

I think I'll just plan a trip to Miraval and Las Vegas!

Have a great day,

Donna

Susan
09-16-2007, 04:26 AM
HI: I also had to quit Herceptin early because of LVEF problems, and I had mixed feelings too. In one way, I sure wasn't going to miss every 3 weeks getting the treatment, and in another way, I wanted to get the whole year in of herceptin. My mugas are now back to normal. I had to see a cardiologist and was put on coreg and lisinopril. I'm just on lisinopril now. I feel like my old self now. The oncologist at the U of Michigan assured me that European studies show that getting 6 months of herceptin is showing no different results of receiving it for 1 year. That made me feel better.
That's what I did after I was done with herceptin, we planned a cruise, and we had a wonderful time! Plan your trip, and have fun, fun, fun!
Susan

Brenda_D
09-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Susan, can you tell me why they put you on lisinopril?
My GP just recently put me on it for high blood pressure.
I am also on Herceptin.

Susan
09-16-2007, 04:58 PM
I was put on lisinopril because it's a ACE inhibitor and I guess it is supposed to help with the blood flow to the heart. My bp was also rising in the last year too, but I guess I'm taking it for the heart.
Sue

BonnieR
09-16-2007, 05:31 PM
I am certainly not an expert in this area but I also recall my oncologist commenting on the fact that some studies feel that 6 months of Herceptin may be an adequate treatment.

tousled1
09-17-2007, 09:04 PM
Bonnie,

There is currently a clincial trial comparing six months vs one year of Herceptin. It is a well know fact that Herceptin does work -- but they aren't sure if more is better or less is better.

BonnieR
09-17-2007, 09:42 PM
I notice that Barbara has posted a quote from Dr Pegram on the other Herceptin thread. Regarding the length of treatment. I don't know how to bring it over here.......
The whole thing makes my mind spin.....