PDA

View Full Version : Tangerine peels

michele u
09-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Did anyone hear the news about the tangerine peels? I missed it on TV but i googled it and read it. In the article it made it sound like eating the peels might have the same effect as tamoxifen!! I dont know how to put the article here, but maybe someone can do it. I just google tangerine peels and cancer I just bought 2 tangerines at Walmart!! Now i'm wondering how in the world i'm supposed to eat the peels! Does anyone know???

Sandy in Silicon Valley
09-14-2007, 10:39 PM
Hi, Michelle -

I'd say it's not time to start munching those tangerine peels quite yet... you WERE going to eat the PEELS on the tangerines you bought, right?

Here's one link to a description of the research:
<http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/82015.php>

We've been discussing this very topic, hot off the too-little-info, too-much-hype presses, on bcmets.org. I suggested candy-ing the peel, then dipping it in bittersweet chocolate, or making marmalade with it, warming the preserves with some Triple Sec, and pouring it over vanilla icecream. Otherwise, tangerine peel is pretty leathery and bitter...

Then, too, this seems to be petrie dish research - not anything used in even animals, much less humans, as yet! Way too early to know if the key element in the peel, Salvestrol, works inside the human body, once metabolized. Also too early to know if it is toxic, or if it would interact with other drugs, like Tykerb, which patients are told to avoid grapefruit while on the drug - because it prolongs the time the drug remains in one's body!

As I've understood research stats - about 10% of petrie dish research ever makes it to in vivo (in animals) research, then 10% of those in vivo studies make it to human Phase I clinical trials (1% of research begun in petrie dishes) - and even fewer make it out of Phase I and II trials and into Phase III, where those "finalists" often get shot down anyway. So the odds are way against tangerine peels/Salvestrol becoming an FDA approved treatment for cancer.

Not very good odds, so you might want to enjoy the juicy fruit you just bought, without trying to injest the peel!

Sandy in Silicon Valley

Believe51
09-17-2007, 10:00 AM
I am a citrus-aholic and have been eating peels for ions, every way possible. Yumm!! Guess what I will be doing when I get a free moment today girls?? Thanks Sandy!! (I must admit, I do eat lemon peels straight. Ew yummy!!) (pucker pucker)

Believe51

hutchibk
09-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Hmmm - interesting. I am not a peel eater, but maybe should start. I wonder if Elizabeth Edwards will change her mind about not consuming tangerines (to reduce her carbon footprint) if she learns about the health benefits to bc patients...

RhondaH
09-17-2007, 11:01 AM
this was on her blog.

"A new research study in the news today reported that a molecule called Salvestrol Q40, found in tangerine peel, destroyed cancer cells in a laboratory setting. Every winter when tangerines come into season, I periodically add a whole one to my soy shake recipe, peel and all. I have been doing this for 12 years. I love the taste (zing!) and I always figured there must be something good in those peels. I know that other researchers have been studying various molecules in other citrus peels for their anti-cancer activity, too, although there are not yet a lot of published studies.

Don't wait for a new chemotherapy or chemopreventive drug to be developed from this research. Eat your whole foods now, yes, including the peelings (at least a little bit, once in a while!).

Here is the basic recipe for Diana's SuperSoy and Phytochemical Shake:

2 1/2 oz. soft or silken tofu (1/6 of a 1 lb. block)
3/4 cup of soy milk
1 large carrot or 6 - 8 baby carrots
3/4 cup of orange juice
3/4 cup fresh or frozen fruit
1-2 tablespoons of wheat or oat bran
1-2 tablespoons of wheat germ
1-2 tablespoons of ground or whole flax seed

Don't be afraid to vary the recipe and spice it up. Adding a whole tangerine is a great addition. :-)"

Take care

Rhonda

hutchibk
09-17-2007, 11:21 AM
That sounds awesome, but I don't consume any soy... as requested by my doc. I suppose I can substitute rice milk and organic lowfat plain yogurt and get much of the same taste and health benefit.

Thanks Rhonda.

RhondaH
09-17-2007, 12:18 PM
I drink it every day (I thrown garbanzo beans in it too as I don't care for them plain) AND my 6yo drinks it too...it's good.

Rhonda

Becky
09-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Peels have always been touted to be good for you. One way to get them is to eat kumquats as you eat the whole thing in one bite.

hutchibk
09-17-2007, 02:41 PM
My neighbor has a Kumquat tree and the other neighbor has a very profound fig tree...

I am guessing and suggesting to those who desire to try the tangerine peels - to err towards organic if possible. The conventional grown will be sprayed with stuff that you probably don't want in your body. (if I'm not mistaken, pesticides mimic 'bad' estrogen in the women's body; and tamoxifen [or Salvestrol Q40 - which is supposed to act like tamox?...] is supposed to counter the bad estrogens. Even if my logic is on track, my science might be a little off, here.)

vickie h
09-20-2007, 05:15 PM
You are absolutely right to suggest organic as the peel holds alot of the pesticides/aluminum/heavy metals which is horrible for cancer patients, or anyone for that matter. Eating the whole fruit is right on the mark, but organic is the way to go. Love, Vickie