PDA

View Full Version : distinct genetic profile of IBC vs.non-IBC

Lani
09-13-2007, 06:44 PM
Br J Cancer. 2007 Sep 11; [Epub ahead of print]
Distinct molecular phenotype of inflammatory breast cancer compared to non-inflammatory breast cancer using Affymetrix-based genome-wide gene-expression analysis.

Van Laere S, Van der Auwera I, Van den Eynden G, Van Hummelen P, van Dam P, Van Marck E, Vermeulen PB, Dirix L.
[1] 1Translational Cancer Research Group (Lab Pathology), University of Antwerp, Universiteitsplein 1, Wilrijk B2610, Belgium [2] 2Oncology Center, General Hospital Sint-Augustinus, Oosterveldlaan 24, Wilrijk B2610, Belgium.
The present study aims at a platform-independent confirmation of previously obtained cDNA microarray results on inflammatory breast cancer (IBC) using Affymetrix chips. Gene-expression data of 19 IBC and 40 non-IBC specimens were subjected to clustering and principal component analysis. The performance of a previously identified IBC signature was tested using clustering and gene set enrichment analysis. The presence of different cell-of-origin subtypes in IBC was investigated and confirmed using immunohistochemistry on a TMA. Differential gene expression was analysed using SAM and topGO was used to identify the fingerprints of a pro-metastatic-signalling pathway. IBC and non-IBC have distinct gene-expression profiles. The differences in gene expression between IBC and non-IBC are captured within an IBC signature, identified in a platform-independent manner. Part of the gene-expression differences between IBC and non-IBC are attributable to the differential presence of the cell-of-origin subtypes, since IBC primarily segregated into the basal-like or ErbB2-overexpressing group. Strikingly, IBC tumour samples more closely resemble the gene-expression profile of T1/T2 tumours than the gene-expression profile or T3/T4 tumours. We identified the insulin-like growth factor-signalling pathway, potentially contributing to the biology of IBC. Our previous results have been validated in a platform-independent manner. The distinct biological behaviour of IBC is reflected in a distinct gene-expression profile. The fact that IBC tumours are quickly arising tumours might explain the close resemblance of the IBC gene-expression profile to the expression profile of T1/T2 tumours.British Journal of Cancer advance online publication, 11 September 2007; doi:10.1038/sj.bjc.6603967 www.bjcancer.com.
PMID: 17848951 [PubMed - as supplied by publisher]

Sandy in Silicon Valley
09-25-2007, 07:07 PM
Hi, Lani -

I'm a relative newbie on this group, and have noticed that you often post articles of diverse content, but usually without any comment about why you think it might be useful or important info in general, or for specific members of this list.

I'm curious-to-the-point-of-nosy, and don't have a clue about what your own bc & tx hx has been/is. Would you mind sharing? Do you subscribe to news services that send you e-mail about new studies, as they are published? Would it be possible, as a favor to me, to add your own impressions of a study, when you post it?

Sometimes, I don't understand the medical jargon at all, sometimes, I'm not sure what the connection to HER2neu+++ status might be - or if there is one. Your comments would help me put your pasted study abstracts into perspective.

Thanks for your consideration of this request.

(((hugs)))
Sandy in Silicon Valley