PDA

View Full Version : life after chemo?

Cristina19
09-13-2007, 08:57 AM
Okay, I know this question may be premature (I've only gone through one chemo treatment) but I'm wondering how wise/realistic/advisable/do-able it would be to plan a trip for after I finish chemo (maybe a month or 6 weeks later).

I realize that every one's body will respond differently to these treatments (mine = TCH), so barring any extreme reactions and, of course, with doctor's blessing, I wonder if I'll simply have the energy to go on a trip.

What do you all think?

C.

KRISS
09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Hi Cristina
Like you said everyone is different but after my eight treatment I waited three weeks then my husband took me to the mountains to a spa. I was pampered and loved it. I'm sure if we went skiing it would have been a different story. So plan a trip but choose your activities wisely. Most importantly relax, release and have a good time.

PinkGirl
09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
Hi Cristina
I am sure you could go on "some kind" of vacation, but like Kriss, I don't think you'll be able to handle anything too strenuous. But.....you might bounce back completely and make liars of us !!! It's important to listen to your body.
I got sick and tired of being sick and tired and decided to just start acting like my old self. I ended up tripping and breaking my nose. So..... we're all different, and who knows how you'll feel..... but I think you could handle a quiet, relaxing vacation. Good luck.

SandyR
09-13-2007, 10:28 AM
christina, when I finished Chemo I decided to reclaim my body as quickly as possible so I started going to the gym and 1 month after finishing, I went for a XCountry Ski trip. XCountry was really good for me, because I could go completely at my own pace. Regardless, i remember being so exhausted after 5 miles that I could barely get myself back to the parking lot! But I seemed to recoop fairly quickly! Just be sure that wherever you go, the pace is set by you! And have a wonderful time because you have earned it!

SandyR
Diagnosed July 2005
HER2+++
neoadjuvant chemo - 4 AC/4 Taxotere + one yr herceptin
lumpectomy + 33 rads
2 year survivor
and 2 year Danskin Triathlete as a cancer survivor

Erin
09-13-2007, 11:14 AM
We went on a celebratory wine tasting trip 5 weeks after my last chemo (6 rounds of TCH). While it was great to get away, I was very frustrated by my lack of energy and it did kind of spoil the trip for me. I was absolutely done by 6pm, even though we didn't do anything particularly tiring. If I had it to do again, I would have put it off...but that is just me....I have a hard time being still for any length of time and generally get pretty frustrated if I can't keep up.

hutchibk
09-13-2007, 04:26 PM
you should be fine, even the week after treatment... we travelled even while I was in treatment. You could be fatigued, but just honor that and give yourself breaks. Make it a spa trip. A total restorative, relaxation trip. That's what you need!

Peggy
09-13-2007, 05:37 PM
Christina,

I had chemo and then surgery so my situation is a little different. I finished chemo late October, had surgery the week of Thanksgiving and went to England to visit my son for Christmas. To do that I had to put off radiation a couple of weeks..but I needed the trip to look forward to. My doctor agreed to change my herceptin to every three weeks so I could get a two week window for the trip. It was a very difficult trip, but I would not do it any differently. I needed to feel normal and somewhat in charge of my life and my decisions and the trip let me do that. My husband walked around with a "concerned" look on his face most of the time, but we got to see a new grandbaby!

So, my advice is...if having something to look forward to and planning a trip seem like things that will help motivate you through chemo...then go for it. If you have to slow down or modify some of your activities you can do that! And you might feel great!

Good Luck,

Peggy

Sherryg683
09-15-2007, 11:25 PM
I finished chemo, did my 35 radiation treatments, then took a trip to Florida 3 days after radiation ended. I wanted to celebrate, so I took my kids, my mom, my sister and her kids. I did all the driving, 12 hours there and back. We rented a condo and I was the one that did the cooking and the cleaning. I must have been out of my mind, my sister and my mom sat on their butts while I did it all. That and taking the kids to the beach, in the hot tub, swimming in the pool. I just coated my burned radiated skin in sunblock and wrapped up my bald head to keep it away from the sun. I have to say, it was one of the most fun and memorable trips I have ever taken. I think I was running on adrenaline. But then, I was back on the tennis courts 10 days after giving birth to my daughter too, so I think I'm not sane anyway. If you feel up to it, take that trip. I took 4 vacations the year after I finished my treatment. Lifes too short, that was one of the things my hubby and I agreed on , was to travel and enjoy ourselves more..sherryg

dhealey
09-16-2007, 02:30 AM
I agree with Sherry, cancer has taught me life is to short, so after chemo I decided to do what I wanted when I wanted. I started training for a 26 mile walking marathon 2 weeks after finishing chemo. I am up to 20 miles now at one stretch. I may have to do nothing else the rest of the day, but I am able to do those 20 miles. Go on your trip and enjoy, just remember to rest when you tire. Life is about spending time with loved ones and having fun.

Cristina19
09-21-2007, 12:20 PM
Greetings Sisters,

Sorry for disappearing for a bit. I just had my second tx yesterday and, lucky me, had a reaction to the Taxotere. Strange because I had no reactions during the first infusion.

I am eager to plan a trip. I think that one thing we all feel is a sense of frustration that our lives have been "interrupted." What an inconvenience this BC stuff!

You are all right: life is precious and short and, as I always used to say in those tediously long department meetings at work: "If I go out of this building and get hit by a truck, I don't want my last hours to have been spent here at work!"

=)