PDA

View Full Version : Scheduled for MRI of brain for ....

Marlys
09-12-2007, 07:46 PM
of all things parosmia. For the past several months certain foods and other items have smelled like kerosene. This has irritated me no end because the foods that smell that way are some of my favorites like basil, Dijon mustard, and several others. So I mentioned this to my new PCP who said that this is frequently caused by meningiomas that are deposits of calcium. So, although my oncologists are not inclined to do scans, etc. without cause, I guess I am going to get one anyway.
Since I don't have any other neurological symptoms, I am not really concerned about mets, but would really like to get my "smeller" straightened out.
Have any of you experienced this?
Thanks for listening.
Marlys

Chelee
09-12-2007, 11:29 PM
The only time I had problems with smell was during active treatment. I USE to love the smell of coffee...and once I started TCH I couldn't stand it. Just smelled awful. That is just one of many times. But after I was off chemo my nose was bad to normal. Thank goodness that problem did not linger.
I hope you your doctor gets this figured out for you. I'll be curious to see if anyone else had this continue after they finished chemo. It wouldn't surprise me...that's for sure. Wishing you all the best.

Chelee

Lala
09-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Marlys
I had issues with the chemotherapy drug Carboplatin effecting my sense of smell and taste. I was over sensitized to many common odors. I would feel uncomfortable and sometimes feel like I had nausea . I remember cooking odors were the worst, and some foods I just could not eat due to the change in flavor and smell. My heart goes out to you this is one of hardest side effects to deal with as we all have our favorite foods. I am sorry you are suffering and hope that they find the cause of this problem. I wish you the best.

AlaskaAngel
09-13-2007, 12:14 PM
Marly, the only comment I have to contribute is that I lost most of my sense of taste and smell from CAF chemo 5 years ago, and don't know the basis for that. I can sense fullness or hunger, and texture, but I have to salt or spice or sweeten food with Stevia a lot to make it interesting.

Unfortunately, that never translated to any weight loss, though! Hunger takes precedence.

There are brain lesions that do affect smell and so it is a good thing your doc is thorough enough to check you out with imaging. Let us know how things go.

A.A.

tousled1
09-13-2007, 09:23 PM
Marlys,

I have problems with the smell and taste of foods. I attribute it to the carboplatin.