PDA

View Full Version : Healthy Diet

Faith in Him
09-12-2007, 10:32 AM
Just wondering how many of you have followed a healthy diet after finishing treatment. Do you think that it has helped to keep you NED?

I struggle with eating healthy but really want to do it. My doc has said the most important thing is to maintain a healthy weight.

Thanks

PinkGirl
09-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Hi Faith
I've read lots of posts about healthy diets and supplements. My onc only said a few things about diet -- eat lots of fruits and veggies, eat low-fat foods, and try to keep my weight down. I do eat the fruits and veggies, but I eat them along with everything else. Something has given me a HUGE appetite and I crave sugar/chocolate. I do my best with the "good diet" thing but I am not consistent.

R.B.
09-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Please have a look at the Greek diet thread and balancing the omega threes and sixes.

The omega three six balance is key to lots of health issues.

RB

Mary Jo
09-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I have changed my diet, yes. Whether it's protected me thus far from a recurrence I have no way of knowing. What I do know is this........eating a low fat diet, rich in fruit and veggies, exercise, lots of water and some supplements surely can't harm me. Cancer aside..................this type of diet is good for us in all respects. Oh ya, I've also greatly cut down on the amount of sugar I eat. Especially from foods like sweets and candy. I don't eat nearly as much of that stuff as I once did.

Mary Jo

BonnieR
09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
right now I am in the middle of treatment and struggling with my diet. I used to eat a sort of Weight Watchers, low fat regieme but the dietician has advised me to load up on calories to maintain my weight. I am losing alot. I find it difficult to indulge in full-fat foods like cheese but I suppose she is right. I am also trying to drink Ensure. I just don't have any appetite. Or energy to prepare foods.
I look forward to having treatment behind me and resuming my old eating habits.

madubois63
09-12-2007, 03:56 PM
I have always eaten pretty healthy, but I have always had my binges too. Since leaving the hospital in early July after treatment for liver failure due to graft verses host disease from the bone marrow transplant (got all that?), I have eaten a very healthy diet. Fruits and veggies from the farm, lean meats, poultry and fish, no added sugars - diabetic foods, no white stuff just whole grain/multigrain breads/pastas and olive/canola oil...I drink tons of water and green tea and take several supplements and add certain spices/seeds to foods. I did cheat for my birthday; but all in all, I do not miss the sweets, feel amazingly healthy and walk 2 miles a day. I am scared to say that I haven't felt this good since long before my first cancer diagnosis 7 years ago...I'd like to think what I'm doing is helping.