PDA

View Full Version : heparin and heparin-derived oligosaccarides prevent/stunt growth of metastases

Lani
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
ABSTRACT: Modulatory effects of heparin and short-length oligosaccharides of heparin on the metastasis and growth of LMD MDA-MB 231 breast cancer cells in vivo [British Journal of Cancer]
Expression of the chemokine receptor CXCR4 allows breast cancer cells to migrate towards specific metastatic target sites which constitutively express CXCL12. In this study, we determined whether this interaction could be disrupted using short-chain length heparin oligosaccharides. Radioligand competition binding assays were performed using a range of heparin oligosaccharides to compete with polymeric heparin or heparan sulphate binding to I125 CXCL12. Heparin dodecasaccharides were found to be the minimal chain length required to efficiently bind CXCL12 (71% inhibition; P<0.001). These oligosaccharides also significantly inhibited CXCL12-induced migration of CXCR4-expressing LMD MDA-MB 231 breast cancer cells. In addition, heparin dodecasaccharides were found to have less anticoagulant activity than either a smaller quantity of polymeric heparin or a similar amount of the low molecular weight heparin pharmaceutical product, Tinzaparin. When given subcutaneously in a SCID mouse model of human breast cancer, heparin dodecasaccharides had no effect on the number of lung metastases, but did however inhibit (P<0.05) tumour growth (lesion area) compared to control groups. In contrast, polymeric heparin significantly inhibited both the number (P<0.001) and area of metastases, suggesting a differing mechanism for the action of polymeric and heparin-derived oligosaccharides in the inhibition of tumour growth and metastases.

hutchibk
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Does this mean that when I get a port flush every month with heparin, it is good for me and modulates growth of metastatic tumors... or is that too simplistic a take on it?

Lani
09-12-2007, 12:50 AM
the amount of heparin used to flush out a port is miniscule. Therapeutic doses of heparin are used to, for example, thin the blood of someone who has blood clots and carries with it the risk of bleeding. I don't know that they have worked out the dosage needed to get this effect in humans and the article shows the oligosaccharine derivatives of heparin to work better than heparin itself.

But it is nice to think that you may POSSIBLY be getting a beneficial side effect from a drug they need to use anyway!

RhondaH
09-12-2007, 02:58 AM
I used to get "heparin" induced vomitting... when my nurse would give me the heparin, I would throw up...the smell. We believed it was associated with anticipatory vomitting that is why I would put a wash cloth over my nose as she was doing the heparin flush, then I was fine.

Rhonda