PDA

View Full Version : Just back from my onc's

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Just to update everyone.

Just as we suspected, I have progression and have developed a new tumor in the same general area as the other. So I started off in this Tykerb/Xeloda trial with two tumors in the lymph. system and in the year, one shrank and now the one left behind is a little smaller then when I began and has held stable and now a newer one has popped up.

It a bummer, but that's ok - we have another plan so tomorrow I will begin on Tykerb with Avastin. We are going to try this combo and see how I respond and to be sure I don't get a bad reaction to the Avastin. If it shows promise, I will stay on the combo and if not we will add a chemo to it, probably Taxotere.

I got a full year out of Tykerb/Xeloda and I think that was very good. Am sorry it did not last longer but that is the longest I have gone in a long time,

My onc has a new trial which he just started. Its a Herceptin base with a chemo combined right into it. He was very hopeful to put me on it but since I had a stem cell transplant, I was disqualified. I hope it proves to work and is approved quickly. He seems very excited about it. So there are more coming ladies.

WE are the pioneers for all of these new treatments coming out ladies and WE will lead the way for a much more treatable new world. This is only the beginning.

For those of you on Tykerb/Xeloda or other trials with Tykerb, just remember it is a great new drug which I think has much promise. So do not get discouraged by my news. I did great for a whole year and that I feel was wonderful.

I will find the right combo again......

Everyone take care.

Joanne S
09-06-2007, 05:06 PM
Irene from Tampa. Bless you---You have wonder positive thinking and attitude. You are an inspiration to me. I was diagnosed a year ago and had a good attitude for 11 months. I became depressed this past month due to my ongoing breast pain and fevers. How do you do it?

Best to you in your new treatment to eliminate that tumor and all and any remaining cancer cells. You are in my prayers.

Becky
09-06-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh pooh! But one thing's for sure, you are one helluva woman. I am happy you did so well on a 'gentler' combination - at least one year of no infusions. Tykerb and Avastin should be gentle too - especially since neither is chemotherapy. Now get a couple of decades on that and your hair will grow as long as Rapunzel's!!

You help me keep the faith.

Big hug to you

caya
09-06-2007, 06:08 PM
Irene,

Sorry you have had progression, but glad to hear that you are being as positive as possible under the circumstances.
Hopefully the new drug combo will work its magic for you.

all the best
caya

dorinda
09-06-2007, 06:10 PM
ditto like becky, oh pooh!!! but you seem really positive and that makes me feel good thoughts for you. if avastin is not a chemo what is it. i know some of the girls here are on it. i have just been on taxol and herceptine. seems to keep my mets stable at this time. how long were you on your last chemo and DID it gave you one year of stableness? THAT IS GREAT . I WILL BE GLAD WHEN I CAN BE CHEMO FREE. I WILL KEEP YOU IN PRAYERS AND PRAY THE NEW MEDS WILL SKRINK THAT HORRIBLE TUMOR. TAKE CARE DORINDA

PinkGirl
09-06-2007, 06:19 PM
Hi Irene
You have a very generous heart to be thinking of the others who are still on Tykerb/Xeloda. Good luck with your new combo. Keep the faith.

Vanessa
09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
I too am hopeful about your new drug combination. You are an inspiration to us all and I am keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. I also hope you tolerate this new drug combination as well and I am with Becky, I hope you hair grows as long as Rapunzels. Best wishes.

Sheila
09-06-2007, 06:39 PM
Irene
First of all thank you for being the brave and encouraging woman you are...it helps all of us struggling with this disease, those newly diagnosed, those waiting for the ball to drop and their current treatment to quit working. You give us hope!
I think you will find the Avastin very easy on you...I went today and will restart in 2 weeks. I was diassappointed that I will be staying on Taxol longer, but whatever it takes. My counts have reamined good throughout this, I havent had to take anything. I did ask to be switched to the every other week Taxol instead of weekly...just as a time saving effort. It took almost 3 hours to get to Chicago today...left at 5am, returned at 4:30pm....a 12 hour day for treatment, and most of it is the drive. I could also do without the extra Decadron each month...so in 2 weeks I will get the 1,2,3, punch of Taxol, Avastin and Herceptin....biweekly
May your hair grow long enough to need braids Irene!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mary Jo
09-06-2007, 06:49 PM
Hi Irene,

I read your post the whole time thinking "what an awesome woman!!!" Truly you are. Such an encouraging, positive spirit you have. I truly pray this new combo is this ticket for you.

God Bless you friend and thanks for lifting us up.

Mary Jo

dhealey
09-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I agree with everyone, you are an awesome woman with such positive attitude. It needs to rub off on me. Wishing you best of luck with a new treatment plan to blast those cancer cells to kingdon come! Will keep you in my prayers.

Jean
09-06-2007, 07:07 PM
Dear Irene,
You are just amazing! Full of courage and a beautiful positive attitude.
As they say, "When the going gets tough, the tough get going"

Wishing you all the best with your new treatment.

Regards,
Jean

Bev
09-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Best of luck Irene. Hope the new combo shrivels that little devil. Thanks for keeping us posted. Bev

Catherine
09-06-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi Irene,

Sending my good wishes too. Keep on thinking and acting positive like you do. You are one of the leaders in this pack.

Is it hot enuf for you in Tampa?
Hugs from Oregon, Catherine

Marlys
09-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Irene, I am so sorry to hear this, however, your bright spirit shines through. You are a true inspiration to all of us. I know that the right thing will happen for you. I have never responded directly to one of your posts but I have often thought about telling you that my husband is retired Air Force. We were stationed at Mac Dill from June, 1964 to September, 1965. We lived close to Gandy Bridge and that is where I learned to love fishing.
I worked in the Operating Room at Tampa General. I doubt if any of my co-workers are still there as I was young then and am retired now.
Anyway, love and hugs and many prayers,
Marlys

AlaskaAngel
09-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Hi Irene,

Well, I'm sorry it continues to pop up again that is for sure. At the same time I am ever so hopeful that the all the genetic chunks of the alphabet that researchers keep finding everywhere will move faster toward turning into better solutions sooner and sooner. Thanks for sharing what you are learning, Irene.

Much love,

AlaskaAngel

tousled1
09-06-2007, 09:22 PM
Irene,

Well, you had a good run with theTykerb/Xeloda. I'm sorry that it didn't last longer. You are a real warrior and give us all inspiration. I'm praying that the new combination will be the magic bullet.

Lala
09-06-2007, 10:59 PM
Irene
Sending you hugs and wishes of new treatment success.
Avastin is a good one, I took it w herceptin for 6 months and it worked on my liver as well as my primary tumor.
Best of Luck to you!

Donna
09-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Irene, I love your attitude! Thanks for the smileyou gave me at your common sense approach to all of this! On to the next thing, thanks for the last one!

Good luck to you!

Donna

Mary Anne in TX
09-07-2007, 02:43 AM
Hi Irene!
Your courage and caring just ooze off the page! I wish you didn't have a reason to be such a wonderful warrior, but am grateful to be able to share in your journey and grow from your strength and courage. I'll be praying for smooth sailing and tons of positive results. Please let us know soon how things are going. Mary Anne

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-07-2007, 08:17 AM
It is so good to hear and feel so much support from everyone....

I will begin my first Avastin treatment today (along with my usual dose of Tykerb)

Sheila - My onc did tell me that the Avastin seems to "connect" better when given along with a chemo like Taxol, etc. I hope I am making the right decision to bypass that for now. We have Taxotere just in case. The last time I took Taxol along with Herceptin and Carboplatin it did nothing for me. We will give this a try for a few treatments and see what happens.

It is very hot here in Tampa Catherine. I am a summer person having grown up in Tampa, but even I am looking forward to a break. We are awaiting to see how our hurricane season fares this year. So far so good. They said it was going to be worse but not so far for us anyway.
I am getting ready for the Susan G. Komen 3-day walk now in Oct and am hopeful it will be a dry one since we have to camp out for the 3 days in tents. It is a awesome experience so worth every minute of it.

I know MacDill Air Force base very well Marlys. Have been there many times at about the time your husband was there. My ex-husband was in the Army so we could shop on base at that time.

Yes Becky - I could only wish that my hair could get as long as Rapunzel's but can only hope to hang on to what I have - lol It is growing and I keep it short and spiky (attitude hair-do) but I like it. It's very thin on the top so get worried if I have to lose it again and it not come back at all.
Oh well, if that is the worse I can deal with it.

Ladies you all have a wonderful day. Today is my day off from work and I am going to go out to the garden and enjoy my flowers for a bit before I have to go sit in that chemo chair for hours.

Talk to everyone again soon.

kareneg
09-07-2007, 08:47 AM
I am praying that this new treatment will knock these cancer cells away for good! You in my thoughts today and both thoughts and prayers everyday. I hope all goes well today.

lilyecuadorian
09-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Irene
Sending you prayers, hugs and a lot of wishes of new therapy drugs success just keep fighting no only with drugs also diet , suplement, sun (vitamin D ) exercise and prayers ...and God between on it , you will be fine ..just fine ...keep faith strong ..

MJo
09-07-2007, 01:19 PM
I am sorry about the recurrence, but am really glad you are taking Avastin. My oncologist is also a researcher and he really likes Avastin. Starve those #(*&*+?!@ cancer cells. Thanks for being a pioneer and an inspiration.

rentrac
09-08-2007, 04:04 AM
Hang in there, Irene. I know that feeling of new mets popping up in old places. Is cyberknife and option for any of them? I had one pop up in an area that had been previously irradiated, and cyberknife nuked the little brat. I have several lung mets now that we don't want to "cherry pick" with cyberknife because of the number, and we'll find out within the next month if Tykerb and Xeloda are working. Meanwhile, I guess we're teammates in the "Whack a Met" game. Good Luck! I'm with you all the way!