PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 years

new shoes
09-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Hello from sunny CA. I am new to this so please forgive my mistakes.
I started Herceptin in Jan. 2007 and my onc stated that I would be on a 3 week treatment for 2 years. He then retired. My new onc says that I will be on the 3 week infusion for only 1 year. He said that there was liturature to support this. I have not been able to find anything that confirms this. Does anyone have any information regarding 1 vs. 2 years of Herceptin?

PinkGirl
09-06-2007, 09:38 AM
Hi New Shoes

That seems to be the standard. After surgery and chemo, there is one year of Herceptin - treatments are usually every 3 weeks. I began my herceptin with my last 4 chemo treatments (taxol) and then continued on with the herceptin alone. There are other combinations of herceptin and other drugs that are used for mets.

tousled1
09-06-2007, 12:30 PM
Jennifer,

The standard protocol for Herceptin is one year - either weekly or every 3 weeks. There was a study done that was to compare one year vs two years of Herceptin but the results have not been released.

nitewind
09-06-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm on the one year of Herceptin. I get it once a week, started it with my last three chemos, now I'm down to just the herceptin. I should finish up in December.
Hugs

Faith in Him
09-06-2007, 05:30 PM
I have some time left on herceptin also. My onc said one year is enough treatment. I would really like 2 years. I keep hoping he'll change his mind.

I would love to know the results of the study, Kate was referring to.

Linda
09-06-2007, 06:01 PM
My onc told me that if the two year study had been having beneficial results, that info would have been released by now -- the fact that results are not being publisized means that it's not showing a benefit. She also conferred with some docs who are involved in the studies and was told that 2 years was showing no extra benefit.
I was very high risk, so she did that research at the end of my year, just to make sure. I did not go on for a second year.
I know this is pretty anecdotal, but I hope it helps.
Linda

Sheila
09-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Linda
I think you are fine doing it a year, as that is the norm....wow, medical breakthroughs...5 years ago when I was diagnosed, I could not get Herceptin because I was stage 1......and I am now stage IV....it truly does help and you woman who have gotten this extra security blanket are very lucky..........may you never have any problems and be NED forever!
Sending you a big hug!

Marlys
09-06-2007, 08:27 PM
Generally, if there is no mets, it seems we get 1 year of herceptin. Many of us who have mets have received Herceptin for longer periods of time but your new onc is correct.
Marlys

Bev
09-06-2007, 08:30 PM
Ns,

Try our search above or google HERA studies. The original study had 1 and 2 year arms. 1 year results were good. 2 year results have been delayed. Some people have been able to get extra time. Also look up Finn study that showed 9 weeks is as good as a year. It would seem the least amount that works would be the right choice.

But we don't know. I guess that's why it's a journey. I'm sure your Insurance Co will only want to pay for 1 year until proven otherwise. Good luck. BB

Chelee
09-06-2007, 08:48 PM
New shoes, First off I'd like to welcome you to to the board. (Although I'm sorry you had to join us under these circumstances.) As to herceptin as the other women have already said...one yr is the standard protocol for now. I am a stage III'er with positive nodes & I really *pushed* hard to get a 2nd year. My onc wasn't for it but she did let me go to a larger cancer center for their opinion. And as I thought...I was shot down again there too because the HERA results were pushed back. Last I heard the results of the HERA trials will be out in 2008 or as late as 2009. Some one correct me if its different then that? But for now...it is one year...unless you get a *nice* onc that will ok it. (I know a few that have.) ;)

Chelee

Joanne S
09-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Yep Chelee,

HERA results should be in 2008 for investigating the use of Herceptin for 1 or 2 years versus no treatment after a range of chemotherapies.

World Trial: HERCEPTIN ADJUVANT TRIAL Phase III
US TRIALS: B31 AND N9831.

Perhaps some info may be release at the 2007 HERA meeting in December.

http://content.karger.com/ProdukteDB/produkte.asp?Aktion=ShowPDF&ProduktNr=224106&ArtikelNr=88849&filename=88849.pdf

http://www.researchadvocacy.org/publications/pdf/RAN_Herceptin.pdf