PDA

View Full Version : Okay need everyone's two cents worth...

Jean
09-05-2007, 12:18 PM
Have had scans, tumor markers, mri of both breasts, all is good
thank the Lord.

Going into 2.5 yrs. out...(can't believe it)
Should I ask for MRI brain scan?

Thanks All
Jean

lilyecuadorian
09-05-2007, 12:31 PM
good news ....keep it up ....for many many years ahead ...

AlaskaAngel
09-05-2007, 12:32 PM
Jean,

I am a stage I also. Given your profile, my tendency would be to say no, although I realize I may be a minority. I did get a baseline MRI at one point 1 1/2 years ago myself, but that was primarily because I had some possible symptoms (turned out to be common vertigo), and I also had one aunt with bc who died of brain mets. But if you were to have any kind of persisting symptoms, like visual blurring or bright lights in your field of vision, or persistent headaches, then consider it. Some, like Christine I think, did not have symptoms, so it is a judgement call.

You are your own best judge about symptoms.

AlaskaAngel

madubois63
09-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Why not?? Good to have a baseline, but that is just my opinion.

BonnieR
09-05-2007, 01:53 PM
I happened to have had a brain MRI a few years ago for a persistent dental problem. So I have a base line. (althought he company got sold a few times and most of the files were DESTROYED! I tracked them down and they think mine might still be in storage in Arizona!!!) But I asked the onc nurse practioner yesterday about if they ever do them routinely on us. She said not unless there are symptoms that warrent it.

saleboat
09-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Honestly Jean, I don't think you need a brain scan. You're very likely cured. You didn't mention any symptoms, so I assume that you're thinking about a brain MRI for peace of mind.

I think that these scans can borrow trouble-- there are so many times when people get inconclusive results, or find out that they have some benign thingy that the doctors won't do anything about, but becomes a source of worry. Plus you have to put yourself through the agony of getting the scan, then waiting for the results.

Brain scans are not like mammos, where a baseline is helpful. Unless you are going to get brain scans on a regular mammo-like schedule, I don't get the argument that a baseline is necessary.

Just my two cents-- we're both about on the same schedule-- I was diagnosed in April of 2005-- almost 2.5 years out.

Moving on and beginning to believe that things are okay is very difficult.

My best,
Jen

Joe
09-05-2007, 04:12 PM
Ifoyour insurance will cover it..Go for it.

Regards
Joe

Jean
09-05-2007, 05:31 PM
Thank you all for replies....

Sending big kiss and hug to all.
Jean

Becky
09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
I got one done as a baseline and I am considering doing it once a year. Your brain is who you are.

Sandy in Silicon Valley
09-05-2007, 06:08 PM
Hi,

I'm with AlaskaAngel. I never had a brain MRI after my Stage II dx in 1992, and didn't even have one after my mets dx until a year in, when I was getting eye twitches, and anyway wanted a baseline - it didn't show anything.

That was 10 months before I started getting disequilibrium symptoms, and had another brain MRI on an "emergency" basis - that scan showed a 2.9cm x 3.6cm lesion in my cerebellum - too large for CyberKnife SRS! So it grew from undetectable by brain MRI (generally under 1cm for a standard scan, .5cm for a "stereotactic" fine-slice scan) to the size of a robin's egg, all in 10 months. Since then, I've gotten brain MRI's routinely, every quarter, and those have detected <1cm lesions which have been treated with CyberKnife radiation.

It is currently very rare that bc metastasizes first to the brain, even in patients on maintenance Herceptin (without chemo or anti-hormonal tx as well) for some time. Brain MRI's are easy - but not for the claustrophobic, and quite noisy. Also, because each scan slices slightly differently, even baseline results cannot be relied on totally - a small lesion that one brain MRI misses, can be caught at full circumference on the next.

Just my 2c...

Sandy in Silicon Valley

Vanessa
09-05-2007, 06:25 PM
Glad to hear good news. I would get the baseline, especially if my insurance would cover it.

Chelee
09-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Jean, Here's my 2 cents...and its already been said before. But if your insurance company will cover it...I say do it. Why not. It will just give you piece of mind.

And by the way...its hard to believe your already 2.5 yrs out already. How time flies! And BIG Congratulations on all the CLEAN test results. That's wonderful. :) (One other thing you should think about...your brain *might* be feeling left out since you have taken the time to have all the other body parts scanned...so its only fair to get your brain MRI'd...right.) lol

Chelee

hutchibk
09-06-2007, 12:40 AM
I agree with Joe. I always err towards an abundance of caution these days...