PDA

View Full Version : stealing car magnets

LAURIE
09-03-2007, 08:00 PM
I don't expect any responses to this thread but I wanted to let you all know, what happened to me. I shouldn't get all worked up about it, but it kind of hit me. I wear my breast cancer experience like a badge, I am proud of what I have gone through this past year. I chose to put a survivor car magnet on my car and also a solid pink ribbon magnet. Last week they were both stolen off my car. I can say that I did think that maybe having those magnets would make me less likely to have my car stolen or broke into, or even get me out of a speeding ticket someday, but that was not my primary purpose. I had them for pride and for awareness. I just can not believe that someone would take them. My only hope is that they are now on another breast cancer survivors car. Maybe it was a kid whose mom was just diagnosed. I can only hope. I am a general manager of a retail store in a high crime area and they were stolen in the mall parking lot, and thought it could of been retaliation for catching shoplifters or disgruntled employees.

So in the end, I decided to order more magnets, and wear them with pride, but this time I will order in bulk.

Jeanette
09-03-2007, 08:27 PM
Hey laurie. same thing happened to me. My husband and I were in the local Walmart and when we came out my survivor magnet was gone. The bad thing about it , is my very good friend and neighbour gave it to me. Like you I can only hope it went to another survivor, but it really hurts when this happens. Hugs and Blessings to all, Jeanette

juanita
09-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I had 3 pink ribbons and 1 organ donor stolen from my car. And my daughter had her pink ribbon antennae thing stolen. How sick is this world coming to?

PinkGirl
09-04-2007, 07:46 AM
Hi Laurie
Sorry about your "thefts". I too am "proud" of my BC experience and I think that I have received, as gifts, every pink item that exists - even have a pink frying pan! Fortunately, my car items are all inside our vehicle and haven't been stolen. I am sure it was just some kids who took them because they could.

In Canada, there is a program starting called Highlights for Hope. I have a four inch piece of synthetic, curly, pink hair woven into my hair - like an extension. I had it done at the Relay for Life and it cost $20.00 (donation to the Cancer Society). It is my favourite "pink item". And.... I would have to get mugged for someone to steal it! http://her2support.org/vbulletin/images/icons/icon7.gif Sorry you had your items stolen.

Brenda_D
09-04-2007, 08:30 AM
I recently put a Survivor magnet on my vehicle. The thought that someone might take it, did cross my mind. If that were to happen I'd put an ad in the local paper-

"What kind of lowlife thief steals a Pink Ribbon magnet off a breast cancer patient's car?"

That should say it all.

SoCalGal
09-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I think that kids, probably teenagers are responsible, and that they have no idea what they are stealing and it's not at all personal but demonstrated ignorance.

If I had a magnet on my car, in LA, I'd have to super glue it there if I wanted to see it again.

KRISS
09-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I have SAVE THE TATAS magnets on my car. I had to order in bulk because they go quite frequently. I really don't mind, I figure they neede it more than I do and then I just slap another one on. If you all have not seen them go to savethetatas.com very cute stuff with a different spin. I wear my tatas are survivors, tee all the time.

Sheila
09-04-2007, 09:28 AM
I have feel your boobies and support our boobs in the shape of a pink lace bra ribbon....I am amazed that they are still there...so far....however someone decided to hit my car, knock out a side light and dent the bumber last week...just got the estimate...860.00 (FOR A VW BEETLE?)...wish they would have stole my magnets instead!

ahooper
09-04-2007, 12:25 PM
People will steal anything that is not nailed down. I'm glad that you are all proud of being survivors, and I respect it. Personally, any time I see a pink ribbon, it reminds me of this horrendous, deadly, body-invading THING that has scarred and disfigured me for life in more ways than one. My jaw automatically slams shut and my teeth start to grind.

Suppose some marketing whiz came up with "National Misscarriage Month", complete with colored ribbons you could wear year-round. How many women who have had that experience want to be constantly and publicly reminded of it in the mall, on cars, on TV, and via products in every store that claim in nebulous terms to "support the cause" (when maybe $1 of the $200 price is going to come obscure charity or campaign). Don't get me wrong; research and funding for this is a GREAT thing. But whenever I leave the house, I know I'll probably be reminded again, because I can't get away from those pink ribbons...

ER/PR+
HER2+++
Radiation x 33 10/04
Tamoxifen started 05/04.
2 reconstructive fat grafts
Herceptin from 10/05 to 10/06
Bone metastasis dx 06/07
Husband committed suicide 06/07
Radiation x 25 07/07
On Tykerb and Femara since 07/07
Still ticked off

Lala
09-04-2007, 12:40 PM
The magnet I put on my car is the American Cancer Society's Making Strides Against Breast Cancer.

Being stage 4 I am constantly fighting this disease. I am proud of the work I do for the American Cancer Society, and yes I do raise money for them too. I do not think there is anything wrong with using magnets to raise awareness for the good of organizations out there nor do I cringe when I see a survivor ribbon, instead I say you GO SISTER.

Brenda_D
09-04-2007, 01:36 PM
ahooper, I felt that way too in the months while I was taking chemo. I was so sick, I hated seeing Pink anything. It just made me think of what I was going through.

That changed after chemo and when I started rads. I felt like I had beat this thing for now, and finally felt like a Survivor. I certainly didn't feel one for quite awhile.
Now I have the ribbon on my vehicle as a badge of personal accomplishment. I beat the beast, even if it's only for awhile.

Barbara2
09-04-2007, 05:38 PM
I had one survivor magnet stolen, and one came off in a car wash. Don't forget to remove the magnets before going through a car wash, unless it is "touchless!"

Where do you get the pink survivor magnets? I found the first one at Walmart but had to really search for the second one.

Brenda_D
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I got mine at thebreastcancersite.com

Survivor Ribbon (https://shop.thebreastcancersite.com/store/item.do?itemId=28981&siteId=224&sourceId=70&sourceClass=Category&index=8)

Liz J.
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
Hi Laurie,

I too had a pretty pink ribbon magnet that said Living With It stolen off of my car about a year ago. I only had it for a day or two. The strange thing was that it was replaced by a washed out support the troops magnet. Could this person have felt so guilty that they felt compelled to put something in its place? Who knows. I did post about it back then and recall some of the replies. It was a while ago, but I remember someone saying that the memorial placed on her friend's grave had been stolen and also someone posted that they hoped the person who took it needed it more than I did. So anyhow, just some input. Yes, I do live in New York but stuff happens everywhere.

All the best,

Liz J.

Mary Anne in TX
09-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Remember when people used to put all the travel stickers on their cars?
I've thought so many times that I'm just months away from becoming one of those
"who cares what you think of me" people and putting all the ones on my little
HHR that represent what gets my prayers so often. I'd have a bunch!

I live in a small town so haven't had mine stolen yet. People don't deal with feelings very well these days, so I guess that's one way to do it! It's a good reminder to me to deal with mine! I may not steal pink ribbons, but sometimes not dealing with my fears, causes me to not be who I should.

Laurie, I hope you order them by the dozen and keep on keeping on being proud. It took me a year to put mine on, but I too do the "atta girl" cheer when I see another one go by! It helps knowing there are more BC warriors fighting the cause!