PDA

View Full Version : Hot Topic

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-03-2007, 01:56 PM
PROGESTERONE CREAM TO RELIEVE HOT FLASHES??? You are talking to a desperate woman here. Entering my 23rd yr of hot flashing. Suffering all day. Nights, I take Ativan and/or a bit of Xanax and NO FLASHING. Won't take those during day, so am beyond uncomfortable. Someone (a bc survivor of many yrs) mentioned progesterone cream to me, which she has been taking for 5 yrs. I am intrigued, yet, not fully informed. ANYBODY out there that can shed some light on this HOT TOPIC for me??
http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/08 Andi

Yorkiegirl
09-03-2007, 03:20 PM
I am waiting to see some answers for this as well.

I am so very, very miserable.

rentrac
09-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Did ya'll try Effexor? I was accustomed to using it as an antidepressant, but my Gyn clued me on its off label use. He tried it on me and I was astounded at how well a mere 37.5 mg worked in less than 5 days. Before, I was having volcanic meltdowns starting everyday starting at 4 pm and ending at 4 am when I was in chemopause. Facing the real thing (as I elected to remove the ovaries as one way of reducing estrogen) was terrifying 'til my Gyn's suggestion. Never had anything like them since. Unfortuantely, it probably doesn't work for everyone, but it's worth asking if you haven't tried it. Meanwhile, if you get a chance, you need to find a copy of The White Trash Cookbook II - hilariously and true to life funny to this old southern girl, and it has the very best description of how hot flashes can control your life that I have ever had the privelage to read. The book is still in print and is a favorite of everybody I've ever met who's had a chance to see it.
Warmly, but not TOO warmly,
Rentrac

jhandley
09-04-2007, 12:01 AM
It was probably me. I use natural progesterone cream and no hot flashes. However I am ER/PR -; I would check with your doc if you are PR+.
Regards
Jackie

hutchibk
09-04-2007, 12:04 AM
I did not use progesterone cream... I used Estrace vaginal cream, 1%. It was tremendously helpful for power surges. My onc does not feel that it is strong enough estrogen dose to have a systemic effect. I used it 3-5 times a week, now I use it once a week. I have't had flashes in over a year now. I tried effexor and can't take it because it can cause restless leg, and I got it bad from the first dose...

Yorkiegirl
09-11-2007, 07:44 PM
<TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR title="Post 132754" vAlign=top><TD class=alt1 align=middle width=125>jhandley</TD><TD class=alt2>Progesterone cream
<HR>It was probably me. I use natural progesterone cream and no hot flashes. However I am ER/PR -</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I have to tell you. I went and bought some Natural Progesterone Cream (Natural Woman) this past Saturday, and have started using it, now mind you it has only been 3 day's and I can already tell a difference.

I am hoping to get down to NO HOT FLASHES, but I can't believe it is working.

I am also ER/PR Negative.

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-21-2007, 02:54 PM
ATTENTION ALL YOU HOT CHICKS OUT THERE. I asked my nut/onc (nutritional oncologist guru/healer). He put me on 4 X Black Cohosh, which I have taken since '98 to little avail. It's been 2 wks. I am definitely noting a change.

I asked my OB/GYN son-in-law about progesterone cream. He gave me a lengthy intelligible response but said I must check w/my onc. I asked my Boca rock star onc re progesterone cream and he shrugged. He doesn't know about it. He could prescribe a short term low dosage if I really wanted. Wouldn't that mean that when I went off the progesterone the flashes would come back? Not necessarily. Some times it can change the cycle, like after 3 mnths on. He could also give me a patch. But, you know, he said -- you really shouldn't be taking it.

This I know, but... QOL has been severely impinged upon. It is out of control (for 20+ yrs) and I just can't take it anymore. It is worse than ever. But, meantime, w/Black C -- clearly needs a better NAME! -- I am absolutely getting much relief. Which is *safer*???? No one knows. If GYNs don't know and ONCs don't know, I read. Mixed reviews, depending on who you read. It's a crap shoot.

BTW, my oncs interest in my flashes, as w/past GYNS over the decades -- registered as ZILCH. No understanding of the plague. No real compassion. Not motivated. Over the shoulder answers on the way out the door... This does not please me.

I'll keep you posted. Please -- y'all do the same!

With love and clammy hugs (ICK!)...
http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/badday/flaminghead-runnerAndi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

StillHere
09-21-2007, 11:00 PM
Andi, I love all the cute little animated do dads you add to your posts. I often feel like the stickman with the head on fire. Never thought hot flashes could drain your energy the way they do. So far all I am using is Effexor. Year 3 of this is getting really old. Can't imagine 20 yrs. You poor woman! Hang in there kiddo. Peace Karen