PDA

View Full Version : For Those On Avastin

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-03-2007, 08:21 AM
I Was Just Wondering Your Treatment Schedule. How Often Do You Take?

Sheila
09-03-2007, 10:13 AM
Irene
I get it every other week, and the first dose was 1 1/2 hours (it is a really tiny infusion bag), but they checked my pressure every 10 minutes the first time...now its 30 minutes. The only problems I have had is B/P going up, so I am on meds, and lots of nosebleeds (not heavy, just frequent). Other than that, nothing. But, if you need any dental work or surgery done, get it done before...I had to go off 35 days for a root canal, which is now going to be an extraction (tomorrow). Nothing like enjoying both, and after this, I may have to stay off another 30 days for healing reasons while on Avastin. Also, no innoculations...I am guessing this means flu shot too?

chrisy
09-03-2007, 10:25 AM
Irene,
Not sure if I already shared this info with you, but I go every 2 weeks. Sheila's right about the sequence of getting the infusion down to 30 minutes. Also about the caution with any "procedures" as the Avastin can interfere with wound healing. However, I DID have a root canal while on Avastin (with my onc's blessing); she did want to know about any antibiotics they were considering.

Sheila, OUCH! I'm SO dismayed that you have to go through an extraction now, too - as if the root canal wasn't enough.

IRENE FROM TAMPA
09-03-2007, 12:00 PM
I will be finding out this week an was wondering how frequent it is given. This gives me an idea .

Will just having teeth cleaned be an issue you think? I am not scheduled until Oct. for my next which I do take antibiotics for already prior because of the port.

Thanks again and enjoy your day today.

jojo
09-03-2007, 03:58 PM
Hi Irene, how's FLA treating you? :-) I'd love to meet sweet dolphins once again!

I echo Sheila's note of side effects from Avastin, except for nosebleeds, of which I hardly got at all. I would say that the worst side effect was hair loss!

Hair loss didn't quite bother me the 1st time around (4 years ago), but now I'm feeling a bit more sensitive in that I do miss having hair. Presently, my hair is a bit longer than a typical buzz cut. Brushing hair just got started only last week. I'm trying not to put a lot of stock on it.

And oh I get Avastin bi-weekly as well.

Side note: I'm currently in a trial of: Tykerb & Avastin; hence, my hair is coming back!

Good luck!

chrisy
09-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Irene,
I wouldn't think that teeth cleaning would be an issue. As I understand it, this is not an issue like with zometa where there is a possibility of ostenecrosis of the jaw. My understanding is that the concern is more over having things done (surgery, tooth extraction etc) where there is significant trauma and need for "repairs" because the wound healing might be impaired.

You have such a great smile, I'm sure your teeth are nice and clean already!