PDA

View Full Version : Delayed herceptin side effect?

Alice F
09-02-2007, 06:15 AM
I started herceptin back in Nov 06 with taxol. My treatments were 12 weekly-finished in Feb. Continued weekly until I finished with rads in June then I switched to every three weeks. I had no side effects at all but last thurs I awoke from sleep in excruciating middle back pain. I read that back pain can be a herceptin side effect. But could it be possible to get this side effect after all this time? My local onc is sending me for a chest and spine xray. He doesn't think it a metastises since I'm still receiving herceptin & tamoxifen and he said bone cancer usually comes on slowly and not so hard hitting all at once. Have any of you had a similar experience? I'd greatly appreciate you replies.

Alice F
dx 8-06
stage 2
triple pos
4a/c
12 Taxol & herceptin
Bilat mast w/ node dissection
all 12 nodes clear
tamoxifen started in April
herceptin to finish in Nov 97
reconstruction in May 08

tricia keegan
09-02-2007, 08:34 AM
Alice I just replied to your post on Komen, please see my reply there.

dorinda
09-02-2007, 11:33 AM
what is the web site for the komen. is it a support group

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-02-2007, 11:50 AM
Alice, That side effect can come from Aranesp or the like. Did you recently have one of those injections? You can read my experience w/Herceptin in my signature. Been on it since '98 -- almost 9 yrs. Fatigue, which may or may not be from Vit H, could be leftover shock and awe chemo or just me getting older, is my major side effect from Herceptin.

It keeps me well and stable, and I can live w/pretty good QOL on it. Let us know how you do, please. We all care and want to help if we can.

It's so hard not to panic with new symptoms when you are in our position, but once I can find logical explanations I'm good. When I had the major pain you refer to (from my neck down to the base of my spine) my husband mentioned about Procrit (which was the red bld booster I was then on) and it's possible side effects. I thought I was dying for sure, then I settled down. Hope this is all it is w/you.
Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/06

tricia keegan
09-02-2007, 01:20 PM
It's www.komen.org (http://www.komen.org) and just click on message boards, I found it when first dx a couple of years ago and still try to find the time to post there as well as here!

dorinda
09-02-2007, 06:11 PM
thanks tricia will check it out.