PDA

View Full Version : If it works why change... ?

mts
08-31-2007, 05:52 AM
I don't really have al the details but an Aunt of a friend of mine was on Tamoxifen for 5 years and doing fine. Her onc took her off the Tamoxifen because he told her ( as we have been told) that 5 years is all you get, and within months her cancer recurred. She was taking an AI. She is now on chemo and has been told her liver function is at 25% and that she needs to get her affairs in order- she is still continuing with chemo (don't know what kind).
If Tamoxifen was working for her so well, why not put her back on it ? I know 5 years is based off statistical info, but aren't there any women that have remained on tamoxifen for longer than 5 years ? Can one get back on it ? It seems there is nothing to lose by getting back on Tamoxifen!

Maria

Marlys
08-31-2007, 06:20 AM
Maria,
The AI (aromatase inhibitor) is a drug that works like tamoxifen for women who are post menopausal. tamoxifen is for those who are premenopausal.
There would be no reason to use both at the same time.
Marlys

Becky
08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Dear Maria

I am very sorry about your Aunt. They could try Faslodex and see if that works. It could also be coincidental that the cancer came back in that timeframe too and that it was just going to.

There is another Tamoxifen like drug called Toremifen and it works very much like Tamoxifen. It is only for metastatic patients. She should look into this especially if the cancer's return wasn't a coincidence in relation to the ending of tamoxifen.

Please also be aware that bc that is strongly hormone positive does have a recurrence blip in the 6-7 year timeframe (not as large of a blip as within the first 2 yrs but a blip none the less).

I hope this helps.