PDA

View Full Version : Good news!

TriciaK
08-31-2007, 01:12 AM
I've had some rough times for awhile with cardiomyopathy and heart failure, most likely aggravated by 15 months of herceptin. The herceptin was stopped over a year and a half ago when my ejection fraction dropped to 30 and then I had a triple bypass a year ago in May. This spring the heart failure seemed worse and about 2 weeks ago I was referred by my cardiologist to a surgeon who puts in defibrulators for people with serious irregular heart rhythms that could cause sudden death. In talking to my husband and me, he said I would need to meet certain criteria before he would do the surgery: (1) he would have me wear a 24-hour heart monitor to record the electric rhythms of my heart, (2) he would carefully study my cardiac history, including records of my bypass, stress tests, ejection fraction and other heart tests, and (3) he would talk to my oncologist about my life expectancy as a stage IV cancer patient, since it would be foolish to go through the surgery if I only had a short time to live. Today I saw him again after he followed up on these things, and the first thing he said was "I don't often have such good news to give to someone with your history!" Then he proceeded to tell me that he wouldn't do the surgery to implant the defibrulator because (1) the heart monitor showed the electrical rhythms of my heart were much better than he feared they might by (2) my ejection fraction had improved from 30 to between 40 and 45, and (3) my oncologist told him that I was doing very well, had been NED for the past two years, and probably had an above average life expectancy for a stage IV patient. My husband and I went out for dinner to celebrate! He had a steak and I had crablegs, which I love. We even shared a rich and gooey dessert! I know how much I love to hear good news on this website, so felt I needed to share this with you. As most of you know, I'm 77, I've been fighting cancer for 22 years, first in 1985, then mets to my spine in 1990, and then her2 mets to my lungs in 2004, which were found because a heart attack put me in the hospital for a month. It's been a roller coaster ride for my husband and me but today was good news! My next CT scan will be in December. I'll be in touch! Hugs, Tricia

dhealey
08-31-2007, 02:22 AM
Congradulations on such great news! You are an inspiration to those of us who have just begun our battle. To know that you have been fighting for twenty-two years gives me hope that I will be around for some time! Keep on fighting and I wish you the best of health.

Shell
08-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Tricia-

I always look forward to your updates and was so pleased to hear your good news. What a long courageous battle you have endured.

Keep those gooey desserts coming!

Kind regards,

tricia keegan
08-31-2007, 02:47 AM
Congratulations Tricia, thats wonderful news and I'm in awe at your fighting spirit. It's wondeful and uplifting for everyone to celebrate such good news with you.
Keep fighting, eating and forgot those calories!!

DonnaD
08-31-2007, 06:04 AM
TriciaK
Thank you for sharing your latest news. Positive stories are what we all need. We celebrate with you. Congrats!!!!

I'm for those gooey desserts.

Donna

tousled1
08-31-2007, 06:11 AM
Tricia,

Congratulations on the good news! And yes, we do relish in hearing good news. You are such an inspiration. Good luck with the scan in December.

Marlys
08-31-2007, 06:14 AM
Tricia,
This is the greatest news!!
We didn't make it to Phoenix for spring training this year but we just bought a new motor home and I am sure Ken will insist on going next spring. We will be sure to stop in St. George to see you then.
Love N' Hugs,
Marlys

lilyecuadorian
08-31-2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks for sharing with us this good information ...and congrats ....you hav too many's fan's in this site and I'm the first one ...keep it up....always

Carolyns
08-31-2007, 08:09 AM
That is GREAT news! You made my weekend.

Thank you, Carolyn

lexigirl
08-31-2007, 09:19 AM
Thank you for sharing your uplifting news! It has made my day better!

Love,
Lexi

Faith in Him
08-31-2007, 11:45 AM
We all rejoice with you. That's wonderful news.

hutchibk
08-31-2007, 01:55 PM
That is just marvelous news! I am so thrilled to hear it. Sounds to me like you haven't been fighting cancer for 22 years, but rather that it has been trying to fight you - with very little success! You are by far one of my biggest inspirations... Wow.

Mary Anne in TX
08-31-2007, 02:05 PM
Hi Tricia!
What a joy it was to read your note and to remember that God continues to bless this group! Thank you for sharing such wonderful news and for sharing your story with us.
Mary Anne

Kimberly Lewis
08-31-2007, 02:15 PM
Echoing everyone's gratefulness for you post, so inspiring to hear of your good news! Live long and prosper dear....

chrisy
08-31-2007, 03:06 PM
Tricia,
Wow, that is fantastic news - that you're just too darn healthy to need that surgery!

Julie2
08-31-2007, 05:07 PM
Tricia,

Great news, I am very happy for you.

Julie

Leslie's sister
08-31-2007, 05:35 PM
I so love to read wonderful stories such as yours! Thank you for sharing this.

StillHere
08-31-2007, 06:44 PM
Hats off to you Tricia! You make it sound so easy to keep this monster at bay. I am sure your wonderful attitude toward life in general has made a huge difference in your outcome. We will all try to emulate you. I will try to live life to it's fullest each day in honor of you. Thank you for all your inspirational posts. Peace Karen

Patb
08-31-2007, 06:56 PM
Its getting late here in the east and its always great to have good news
before you go to bed. Congratulations. you are an inspiration.
patb

Vanessa
08-31-2007, 07:01 PM
Congratulations on your wonderful news!

BonnieR
08-31-2007, 08:44 PM
Tricia, thank you for being here for us newcomers. It sounds like next time you better bring enough gooey dessert for us all to share !!!

Emelie
09-01-2007, 08:42 AM
Tricia,
Congratulations on the good news!!! You are such an inspiration to me. You give me hope that I too, will be 77 someday.
Congratulations again,
Emelie

Barbara H.
09-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Thank you for posting this news and keeping us updated with your progress. You are a guiding light and give so many of us hope and wisdom with your comments and advice.
Best wishes,
Barbara H.

rentrac
09-01-2007, 11:21 AM
WOOOHOOOO!!! What grand news!! And crab legs sounds like the perfect way to celebrate! Having gone through dense dose AC and then over a year of Herceptin before stopping in May, I've watched my own ejection fraction drop from 65% to 53%.... and I have another MUGA on Tuesday. Haven't had the complications you have, but your resolve and good news make me feel much more optimistic about my own test. THANKS! Hope you have a wonderful Labor Day weekend - you deserve it for all the stuff you've labored through against this stuff.
Warmly, Rentrac

Catherine
09-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Tricia,

Thanks for your sharing your good news. Some people may not like sharing their age, but it puts things in perspective for me. You were 55 at your DX and 22years later you are still here. You described a roller coaster, which was probably not always fun. But your warm spirit shines thru and I think you enjoy life even when you are in the middle of a fight!!!!!

I am 59 and 22 years from now I will be 81 and I hope that I am still here. In fact I think I will take a nice cruise for my 80th birthday. I love to travel.

Keep up the good fight. I can see you at dinner enjoying the steak and crab legs.

All the best, Catherine