PDA

View Full Version : Falling Apart..but repairs are underway

Joe
08-30-2007, 10:54 PM
A little update on Christine.

Chris went for a routine follow up brain MRI where it was discovered that her treated tumor had grown slightly. Her radiation incologist is not that concerned as Christine's CNS tumors grow somewhat before they implode.
She will have another brain MRI in 2 months.

Yesterday she went for cataract surgery on her left eye. Her vision has shown improvement and she will have the other eye done on a few weeks. Hopefully she will be able to drive again shortly.

With all of this going on, we almost forgot that she just passed her 8th anniversary of being on Herceptin.

We will still be attending next weeks meeting of the ASCO Breast Cancer Symposium in San Francisco.

Regards
Joe

TriciaK
08-30-2007, 11:41 PM
Wow! Eight years! What an inspiration you both are! I've made it for 3 years after herceptin, and feel so blessed, so I can imagine how you two feel! I had cateract surgery on both eyes a couple of years ago and can honestly say I see better than I have for many years---don't even need glasses! Good luck with the latest tests---we are all praying for you. Hugs, Tricia

sherri
08-31-2007, 12:10 AM
8th years and you are always strong, I'm sure you will be fine for another 40 years, Christine my dear. And Joe you make so many women jaleous for being such a great husband. Cancer does not have a chance with Christine and you!

Chelee
08-31-2007, 12:15 AM
I wish Christine got a perfect report...but at least her Rad onc is not in a panic. I know she has a good team to depend on & they will keep a close eye on her. Here's hoping it remains stable or just up and disappears. :)

That is amazing that Christine has been on herceptin 8 years. Thats a major mile stone with herceptin. I can't help but believe herceptin has to be given some credit in how well Christine has done. I wish the results of the HERA trials would come out because I think there are so many of us that could benefit from it. (Might be wrong...but I feel that way.) But happy *her-anniversary* Christine! :) Good luck to you both at the ASCO Symposium. I hope you guys make time to have some fun while in San Francisco. Enjoy!

Chelee

Shell
08-31-2007, 02:51 AM
Joe-

Thanks for keeping us updated about Christine. I echo the others' sentiment that I am so happy that herceptin has been her answer, along with a great team of doctors. Can't wait to hear when she can drive again...

Kind regards,

Carolyns
08-31-2007, 05:51 AM
Hi Joe and Christine,

Thank you very much for the update and keeping us posted. I always think about Christine and wish her well.

Thank you for everything you do for all of us!

Love, Hope, Peace,

Carolyns

DonnaD
08-31-2007, 05:57 AM
Christine and Joe,
Thank you for keeping us updated. Chirstine you are an inspiration for so many. Happy Anniversary, 8 years Wow!

One down and one to go so you can drive again.

Enjoy ASCO. You are an amazing couple.
Donna

tousled1
08-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Joe,

Thank you for the update on Christine. I will keep her in my prayers that the CNS tumor stays stable. I guess the 8 years of Herceptin have played a great role in keeping Christine stable.

Thanks for all you and Christine do. This is a wonderful website!

lilyecuadorian
08-31-2007, 06:56 AM
thanks for the updated ....and I know she will be fine no matter what .....

Mary Anne in TX
08-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Hi Christine and Joe!
Thank you for letting us know that Christine is once more doing battle. I'm glad that the cataract surgery was successful. It must be frustrating for someone like Christine to not drive. As I read it, I thought that must be one more thing for my grateful list that I can do.
Please keep us up on what is happening with the brain mets. It can't be anything but worrisome to you both to have to deal with this now.
You have so many of your own battles to fight, but you keep working so hard for all of the rest of us. Thank you and I'll be praying for you both.
8 years on herceptin is so encouraging to me today!
I just want Christine to be free of those mets.
May life chase you down with blessings today!
ma

lilyecuadorian
08-31-2007, 07:54 AM
I love how is your post title Joe .."Falling Apart..but repairs are underway (http://www.her2support.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29802) " is great so so positive great ...and give so much confident ..that is very right REPAIR , IF IT NEED IT... ARE UNDERWAY ...

Believe51
08-31-2007, 11:08 AM
Continued prayers for both of you extraordinary people. Thanks again for keeping us posted on our dear Christine, especially because she has filled my thoughts so very much lately. Keep up the good work taking care of our friend (and yourself, you know caregiving is a full-time but rewarding job...whew..LOL)!!

............and Joe, thanks for being YOU!!>>Believe51

dhealey
08-31-2007, 11:32 AM
Congradulations of 8 year survial with hercptin. I am coming up on my 1 year survival in Oct. You give us newbies inspriation and hope. Will keep you both in my prayers

IRENE FROM TAMPA
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
I feel good about this...... She is very strong and such an inspiration to us all.

I know that these alarms set us back a couple of steps, butttt we are WARRIOR WOMEN and we will re-boot and continue on..

much good luck and prayers to Christine.

charlotte
08-31-2007, 11:41 AM
That is great news to hear... I also echo my thoughts on survial of 8 years on herception...this is a great place for support and well wishes...I also will keep you both in my prayers... thanks so much for this web site... thanks to you (Joe and Christine) for a job well done......

hutchibk
08-31-2007, 12:09 PM
Keep on keeping on Christine! Congrats on the longterm success with "Vitamin H"!

chrisy
08-31-2007, 03:47 PM
Ongoing repairs, indeed! It sounds encouraging that Christine's vision is improving. And the other does seem to follow her usual pattern before "imploding".

Have a great time in SF - it's been clear and warm there so you may get some nice weather (but bring those parkas just in case!)

Leslie's sister
08-31-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the update on Christine. She is an inspiration. Eight years on Herceptin! That is awesome. Thank you both again for all that you do. I would be so lost without this site!!

StillHere
08-31-2007, 06:36 PM
WOW! What a strange trip we are all on. Christine is so lucky to have such a great husband/partner. Congrats to both of you for such a long stretch with Herceptin. I only made it 7 mos and you made it 8 yrs. Sure glad Christine's heart has been strong enought to take this treatment for so long. God Bless you both. Karen

Ceesun
08-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I wish Christine the very best, too. You are both remarkable people and we certainly respect you both!! I pray the mets resolve...sounds like good help is on the way! Cathy aka Ceesun

Patb
08-31-2007, 07:08 PM
Christine and Joe
My thoughts are with you and wishing you nothing but the best. Enjoy
your trip and congratulations on eight years!!!
patb

caya
08-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Joe,
Thanks for the update on Christine. I am praying for those mets to dissipate very quickly, and soon, so Christine can return to NED.

Have a great time in San Francisco.

All the best
caya

Julie2
08-31-2007, 08:25 PM
I wish all the best and continuous success for our cheer leader.

Julie

sassy
08-31-2007, 08:48 PM
Hoping all will be resolved and Christine's eyesight improves also. You deserve all the best.
________
WASHINGTON MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES (http://washington.dispensaries.org/)

sdhaem
08-31-2007, 09:07 PM
Still Here, when you say your cardiomyopathy is reversed,, does that mean your heart is now normal, and you don't have to take medication any more... are they going to give you herceptin again, now , I had Herceptin for 18 weeks, and was taken off because of HF... so many things to learn

rentrac
09-01-2007, 11:28 AM
Way to go Christine! Brain mets are certainly interesting little devils, as I've learned on my own. I'm like you, though, I relax as long as my oncology team is relaxed. Hope your eye heals quickly and the other comes through with crystal clear colors as well; everyone I've known who had cataracts removed were very pleased with the improvement in their vision.
Warmly, Rentrac

Sheila
09-01-2007, 11:43 AM
Christine and Joe
WOW, you are both such an inspiration to all of us.....it seems we all have to go "in for service" on occasion.....Christine you are such a role model to all of us!!!!
Sending prayers and love

StephN
09-01-2007, 12:26 PM
I think Christine is STILL considered NED - just with an area of interest that bears watching in her brain. Something like my situation with a quite small previously treated tumor which shows on my MRIs. It has not had the decency to "implode" or disappear, but my spot is now considered a scar due to long stability.

Great to hear from Joe that there was already improvement in the eye that was worked on. Eye surgery can seem a bit daunting, but is SO worth it with the modern equipment and skill level!

Andrea Barnett Budin
09-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted, Christine and Joe. You know how much we all love you both. I read about your present brain status, but feel confident you will prevail. My multiple liver tumors were finally read by an addl 2 radiologists, each independent and unaware of any other reports. Each differed w/the regular radiologist who had been measuring each and every tumor every 8 wks. We had noted slow but steady shrinkage. After nine mnths of Taxotere, my body just couldn't take any more. A radiologist (previously from Sloan Kettering) was now w/my Westchester onc. He said he did not believe what he was looking at were tumors. They appeared to be the dead remains of tumors. Cyst-like. Filled w/fluid. I wanted to believe in this *necrosis* but wondered if I dare. Then my NYC onc's radiologist (from Mt. Sinai) read my CT scans and said just the same thing. I felt it was a sign. I was pronounced "in cautious remission* in May '99. I have remained STABLE ever since. THAT is what I am hoping for for you, Chris! That what they are seeing is just scar tissue.

8 yrs on Herceptin -- I love you! I will be at the 9 yr mark in November... Vitamin H rocks! Our bodies seem to love the stuff. How wonderful, my sweet Sister. We are blessed are we not? I bliss out on each new day, and feel certain that is true for you and Joe as well. http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/smi/0201e05fca/08

Good luck w/the cataract thing. I haven't reached my turn on that yet, but know everyone who has been through out has emerged happily improved. Yes, the little things we take for granted are so precious and not recognized often enough. I learned (from my severely incapacitated mother, over a 12 yr period of personal agony, having to see what she could not). WE can walk and talk, communicate and think, talk on the phone, read and watch TV and movies, carry on conversations, email! and post, feed ourselves, bathe ourselves, go to the bathroom ourselves, dress ourselves, shave our legs and tweeze, do our own hair and such. Each of these are gifts we enjoy without even realizing! So, Chris, hoping you will soon be able to drive and do all that vision affords you. And don't forget to listen to the music! And dance... With love, dear one, Andi

Jean
09-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Joe and Christine,
Please know that both of you are loved and all my prayers will always be
with you.....I was just thinking....where would we all be without both of
you? Our fearless leaders....

Hugs,
jean

Lala
09-04-2007, 12:47 AM
Wishing you and Christine the best, God Bless you both.

madubois63
09-04-2007, 04:42 AM
Joe - please send my love to Christine. I am catching up on all the posts I missed and wish I had seen this one sooner. Christine has always been an inspiration to me, and you and this sight have taught me so much!! Many, many prayers and love coming your way from Long Island, NY! Love - Maryann

Lolly
09-04-2007, 02:12 PM
I am also just getting caught up, haven't been on-line for a while. I'm so glad to hear the surgery went well, and that this area of concern in the brain is most likely due to cancer self-destructing! Many good thoughts and prayers your way.

<3 Lolly

AlaskaAngel
09-05-2007, 09:48 AM
Christine and Joe,

I don't know what the schedule is for SF but by now you both must be there? I don't know how people do all that you both do, but in 8 years you both have done a great deal to make a difference... I hope the surgery keeps the twinkle in her eyes!

AlaskaAngel

Kim in CA
09-05-2007, 09:57 AM
Congratulations on your 8 years! I know you two are on top of things along with your great medical team. Hopefully by the next MRI that little bugger will be dust!

Sending prayers and best wishes for a great outcome with the eye surgery. Being able to drive again will be so liberating!

Love Kim