PDA

View Full Version : Low Platlet Count

tousled1
08-30-2007, 08:06 PM
In addition to my Hemoglobin dropping (9.6 today) my platlet count has started to drop the last few weeks. Today my platlet count was 96 (last week it was 112) so now that it's lower than 100 they will watch very closely -- no need for alarm yet I was told. I was wondering if anybody here on the board has had trouble with their platlet count dropping and what you did for it. Thanks.

Melinda
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Kate
While I was on TCH my plateset ( I call them the fellas) dropped for round 5 and 6. The first time, 93 they had me hold treatment for a2 days and they rebounded to 103. The second time however they bottoomed to 31. THe only thing they advised is to hold off treatment for 5 days. Again after 5 days the fellas rebounded. Of course avoid running with scizzors and bruising. My Onc nurse told me to watch for little purple rash type spots on my arm and legs.... this would not be a good sign and I should call them. Fortunately they did not appear. I choose to eat better during this time and if I could attribute the rebound to anything but natural body chemistry it swould be the diet I was on, high in protein.
Melinda

Chelee
08-31-2007, 12:23 AM
Hi Kate, My platelets dropped around cycle 5 I believe. Took a major dive. I bottomed out at 30 which they did NOT like. I was suppose to have a transfusion but instead they gave me some crap called Neumega. When I got online and read about it I didn't like what I read and refused to take anymore of these shots. Plus I asked on this board about Neumega and no one knew about it...that really concerned me especially since I don't trust my onc.

So I was told to be VERY careful and don't bump into things and tell them if I have headaches, or any brusing ect. I was told to eat really well. High in protein. I was NOT hungry on TCH. Food = YUCK. LOL But I did my best to eat nothing but protein and it didn't take long and my platelets *slowly* started going up. I was trying to avoid the transfusion and I did. So hang in there. They might make you postpone one week to see if your platelets go up before they give you your next cycle of TCH. Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers...hang in there.

Chelee

Becky
08-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Dear Kate

Magnesium helps rebound the platelets. Take a 250mg supplement (but not at the same time as calcium) or eat your greens (spinach, kale romaine, chard etc).

Eat protein too.

Love,