PDA

View Full Version : madubois63 update

madubois63
08-29-2007, 05:54 AM
Well obviously, I am posting again. I have had a very rough 3 months. I don't remember when I last posted and what I wrote, so I'll give a little summary. Early June, I was doing great. Recovering very well from the bone marrow transplant, just going along. Then I got a high fever. Back to the hospital for two days. I go directly passed go - straight to the bone marrow isolation ward. After hydration and some medications, they sent me home. Five days later, I started to turn yellow and my liver functions were going up (wrong direction). Back to my room on the 19th floor. More meds, lots of test and biopsies and a week later, I am told the tests are inconclusive but I most likely have Host verses Graft Disease. This is very common with a bone marrow transplant and a little of the disease is good. It means my body is working to absorb the donor. I was released from the hospital with plans of going to the cancer center for follow-up 3 days later. I refused appointments on my sons graduation, but realized that day that I looked like something out of a horror movie - no lie. My skin had turned green and my eyes were glowing yellow. The next morning I packed a bag, canceled the cancer center and walked in to the transplant ward. They started me on a treatment of ATG (horse serum). Six treatments, given every other day. The last three doses were doubled because it wasn't working. This was my best shot at recovery. If this stuff didn't work, I'd be dead before the year was out. I am not a candidate for liver transplant because of my medical history - nice to know. My bilirubin (liver function) was up to 12. Normal is less than 1. I had to have my catheter removed because of hospital infections, they stuck a line in my neck in the hospital and then sent me home with a pick-line in my arm. They sent me home to wait and see what happens. I had to go back to the cancer center 3 times a week for IV medication and lab work, but that was better than hospital food and isolation. I came home and eat all the right things. I slowly started to turn pink again and the bilirubin decreased every time I took labs. As of this week, my bilirubin is less than 1 (yeah), My hemoglobin is over 10 (that hasn't happened in years), I am walking 2 miles a day, eating the best I ever have and feeling like I am a real healthy live person again (before cancer). I am slowly being weaned off the medications (including steroids and insulin). Some of the drugs raised my sugar so high, I had to be put on 2 kinds of insulin to control it. I have once again amazed the doctors. They just don't know what to think of me. I just refuse to let this get me. I got my son off to college and now I have 2 more years before my daughter graduates. I will not let my daughter live with her father, so that's just it! I have to be here. He is such a deadbeat and probably wouldn't fight for her anyway, but if it meant keeping child support, who knows. So except for the pick-line, I do not look or act like a patient...I am now down to visiting the cancer center once per week and have taken on new hobbies. I am thinking I may take a class or two next semester. I am more than half way towards my BA and would love to finish. If you want to read my whole story... http://journals.aol.com/madubois63/A...weeklycalendar/ (http://journals.aol.com/madubois63/A...weeklycalendar/)

I guess I should put all my blogs together - another project to do.

sarah
08-29-2007, 06:24 AM
Bravo Marianne,
Great to hear an update from you.
You are brave and a wonderful writer.
nice to see a phot of you - so young and pretty.
Stay well, be happy.
hugs and love
sarah

Mary Anne in TX
08-29-2007, 06:26 AM
Unbelievable! Totally, wonderfully, unbelievable!
Cheers to you! And thanks a million for the update!
ma

mom22girlz
08-29-2007, 07:06 AM
I am so happy to hear that you are feeling the best you have in a long time. You are so amazing! Keep it up! Thanks for the update.

lilyecuadorian
08-29-2007, 07:07 AM
Is soo good to know that you (one) of the role models are doing great ...keep doing please and thanks for the upgrade ...

doh2pa
08-29-2007, 07:10 AM
Marianne you are awesome! And such an inspiration to all of us here. Although my fight has been much easier than yours, I too am getting a son off to college tomorrow (that was my first goal...to stay alive to see that through) and I, too, have another child who will be going off to college in two more years. So let's have that goal together! WE WILL BE HERE IN 2 YEARS to get our kids off to college!!!
Sounds like you are off to an excellent start!

Julie2
08-29-2007, 08:37 AM
Very glad to hear from you. Keep it up and keep on going.

Thanks,
Julie

chrisy
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
MA,
I've been wondering about you and was so glad to see you posted yesterday. Great new picture.

You just keep on going, leaving your doctors scratchin' their heads and thinking "I want some of what SHE's got"!

Amazing, amazon woman!

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-29-2007, 03:03 PM
Okay Maryann, You're a bona fide living, breathing miracle. More power to you. You have the life expectancy of a cat with nine lives. You are strong, brave, and one of the most determined people I've come across. The energy you emit just exudes positivity, no matter what, and I mean that literally!! Your story is amazing, and your Spirit truly is luminescent. I can see it shining from your words. You are proof that the power of our thoughts and the force of our sacred Souls is mighty. So glad to read all about you and FEEL your loving energy. I'll see your feisty Spirit and send you back some more!! Stay well and healthy. Insist upon it, as you obviously have been for a long time. You've been through the wars and come back to us with a joy that bounces off the walls. Thanks for sharing it all with us. Stay close... Andi http://cdn-cf.aol.com/se/clip_art/gstres/celebrte/cheerleader-jump

YOU ROCK, MARYANN!

Mgarr
08-29-2007, 03:12 PM
All I can say is you just continue to AMAZE me and I am sure you will finish you BA!

Mary

sherri
08-29-2007, 04:18 PM
You are my hero Maryanne, I love to see you one day in person and hug you. Your children are blessed to have a mother like you.
LiveStrong my dear.

Joy
08-29-2007, 04:46 PM
for updating us! Not only do I celebrate for you, but for all of us. You are amazing, inspirational and kind and I am so very, very happy about your turnaround and that you are feeling good!!!!!!!
Thank you so much it means a lot.

StephN
08-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Great to hear that you should be "over the hump" with the transplant difficulties. It has been a long tunnel to crawl through. but you have showed us the shinning light that is YOU out the other end and lighting the way for others.

Thanks for the update and some details of how you are doing otherwise.

sassy
08-29-2007, 07:31 PM
Maryanne,

Its so good to hear from you--and not surprisingly--find you are doing well once again. You continue to be an inspiration to us all!

All my best,
________
Live sex (http://livesexwebshows.com/)

moonkid
08-29-2007, 08:07 PM
I appologise if i am not doing this right. I am trying to find out what calcium in the brain stem.I cant find out where to go. Can any one help me?
Thanks in advance and sorry if i am doing this wrong.

Shell
08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Maryanne-

We all look forward to hearing how you are doin, and I am delighted with the poitive turn of events. keep it up!!

Kind regards,

fullofbeans
08-30-2007, 02:43 PM
What a story! Well done for being so up beat, inspiring..

tousled1
08-30-2007, 02:46 PM
MaryAnne,

You are truly an inspiration! I enjoy reading your updates, especially since you seem to overcome all obstacles that are thrown in your path. You are awesome!

tricia keegan
08-30-2007, 03:02 PM
Maryann you amaze me too and I love your pic! You must be as tough as a horse to get through all you have and still keep going. You are definatly an inspiration to all of us, maybe you should be turning that blog into a book!!
You go girl