PDA

View Full Version : tykerb, navelbine

Dina
08-29-2007, 01:58 AM
Is anybody else having tykerb with navelbine? And what side effects do you get?

I started tykerb with capecitabine but it was too toxic, so my oncologist swopped navelbine instead, which does seem to be keeping things under control. But there's so much more experience on this forum than in the doctor's office, I'm interested to hear what any of you out there have to say!

Thanks loads, this is my first posting, so sorry if I've got any of the formalities wrong...love, Dina

DonnaD
08-29-2007, 06:48 AM
Hi Dina

I just wanted to say Welcome. We are all sisters here and find, support, strength, knowledge and friendship from one another.

Sorry I can't help with your question on Tykerb and Navelbine but I am sure someone will be getting back to you.

Donna

Dina
08-29-2007, 08:54 AM
thanks Donna, I know from spending lots of time reading these posts what a good support network it is.

Sheila
08-29-2007, 12:23 PM
Dina
Why didn't the onc just reduce the Xeloda, if it was working....it works well at a lower dose and is much easier on the body, and its pill form than Navelbine.....which you need a port for. Just wondering.
Also, welcome to our group...here you can find more knowledge, love, compassion and support than anywhere in the world....this group is AMAZING! Just ask away....on anything...someone here has been there done that so to speak!

Shell
08-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I had xeloda/tykerb together, but eventually started to progress on them. Once the FDA approved it, we added tykerb to my regimen, which at one time was navelbine, but I progresed on the navelbine, so we moved on to gemzar/carbo with the tykerb. The diarhhea was too strong for me, and it seemed evident that tykerb wasn't my miralce, soiI stopped it several months ago.

I am now on abraxane, which seems to be doing well.

Good luck w/ things.

Regards,

Dina
08-31-2007, 12:49 AM
thank you shell, so much, for this reply. It sounds like you're living a similar pattern to my life - I was first diagnosed 2004, and since then it's been a series of different meds until each one stops working...all quite anxiety inducing to live with, isn't it? I'm coming off the navelbine after six rounds, but staying on the tykerb, and then my oncologist seems to be proposing that we just wait and see what happens, and tackle whatever progression with another chemo. So I'm interested to hear about abraxane....are you generally well? How tired do you get?

thanks again for replying, and wishing you too well with everything, love, Dina

Shell
08-31-2007, 02:43 AM
Dina-

I too was diagnosed initially in 2004. Xeloda worked on my mets the longest, nearly 1 1/2 years. The fall of 2007 was rough as I blew through doxil, navelbine and then the gemzar/carbo. I had severe SOB, but was still working somewhat full time, along with two girls (ages 9 and 11) and my husband.

I wasn't too optimistic about the abraxane, because I had progressed to mets originally on taxotere, but have been more than pleasantly surprised. I think I'm still way short of energy (I took Jul and Aug off from work), but can walk (not much uphill), and ride a bike, etc... What was most surprising for me was that I lost my hair - I have very thick hair and never had on taxotere, etc., but there you have it. Baseball caps for the summer!

I'm due to get scans in Sept, so we'll see if the test results mirror the positive change I've been feeling. (I also had bone mets for the 1st time during this period, but I guess we're not considering that progression from treating the lungs per se.) Both areas have been dealt with by radiation.

Kind regards,

newprofessions
11-18-2007, 02:52 AM
My first posting - I was looking to speak to someone that also has taken these two together, as this is what my oncologist would like me to start next week.

I took Tykerb and Xelota in June for 9 days and it all but did me in - 8 infections and in the hospital for a month. A later genetic blood test found Xelota to be 17 times too strong for my genetics to metabolize, so thank goodness it was only 9 days, because it took 3 months to recover.

I'm scared to try Tykerb again. I had so many bad effects in the short time I took it with the first mixture. If someone has taken this mix in the subject line, could you fill me in on what to expect?

Thank you so much.