PDA

View Full Version : Weaning off of Lexapro

Catherine
08-28-2007, 09:58 PM
Would like to know what regimine works best when weaning off of Lexapro. I started taking 10mg of Lexapro 2 weeks after my DX at my Oncologist's recommendation. I have to say it really helped me on my treatment journey. I also used Ativan at the beginning and it was helpful. It has been 16 months now and I really do not think I need Lexapro any more, since I am feeling great. My oncologist said: Taper down to every other day for 2 weeks and then stop. Has anyone else done this? Any other regimens or tappering off suggested?

Thanks for your help, Catherine

Jade
08-29-2007, 01:13 AM
Hi Catherine,
I would suggest you Google "lexapro withdrawal" to get some feedback from other users of this drug. Lexapro is similar to Effexor and withdrawal can be very nasty, but everyone is different. Good luck,
Jade

MJo
08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
I agree with Jade. I don't second guess doctors, but I wouldn't stop cold, even after every other day. I would take half for a while, then a quarter, etc. I take Lexapro too, but don't plan to go off it soon due to history of clinical depression. BUt I've heard some stories from people stopped taking it, including an emergency room visits for a suspected stroke that turned out to be Lexapro withdrawal.

Catherine
08-29-2007, 05:20 PM
Thank you. I am so happy I have you to ask. I love my oncologist, but I do always try to check out is advice.

Thanks a bunch. Will let you know how it goes. Right now I have skipped 2 days on the every other day program.

Catherine

KellyA
08-29-2007, 06:07 PM
Hi Catherine

I do not recommend this to anyone, but I decided after I felt that I was doing very well to come off the Lexapro and I took a half of one pill x 3 days and then just stopped. I was however exercising like a fool and feel that the endorphins were keeping me steady. I have remained active (slowed down a bit) and think that there may still be some times when I could benefit from an antidepressent, but for the most part feel ok. I wish you luck with weaning :-)

Love, Kelly

Catherine
08-29-2007, 07:58 PM
I did google lexapro withdrawal. I found quite a few crazy posts on the web. What I am also looking for is what is really recommended. I could not find in on webmd or even the official Lexapro site. I will call my pharmacist soon and see if he agrees with my onc recommendation.

Catherine

Catherine
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
Just an update. So far, so good. I am off of lexapro. I started weaning off on Aug 24. Took a pill every other day for two weeks. Then a half pill every other day for one week. And then totally stopped. So I have been totally off of Lexapro two and one half weeks. I think I am okay. Sleeping fine. Will let you know if I have a problem.

Catherine in Oregon