PDA

View Full Version : When to start brian MRI

chrislmelb
08-26-2007, 12:32 AM
Hi ladies

I am wondering when i should start pushing for MRIs of the brain? I am EBC, diagnosed Sept 2003. I got Herceptin late on HERA trial for 2 years and I have 3 more doses left. I know once you have mets it is a given but for me i am wondering.
Appreciate any imput.
Thanks
Christine

Chelee
08-26-2007, 02:18 PM
I know I get a brain MRI every six months. Some times women are told to wait till there are symptoms but many times there are no symptoms...so I personally rather not take a chance.

Chelee

BonnieR
08-26-2007, 02:52 PM
I don't understand. What makes one a candidate for routine brain scans???

Chelee
08-26-2007, 03:15 PM
Bonnie, Since I'm Her2/neu, 3+++, & a stage III'er with 5 positive nodes that makes me high risk for mets to brain. All of us Her2 gals are at higher risk for mets...& most insurance companies will cover routine MRI's if you *push* for them. So I get them every six months. Hope that helps.

Chelee

BonnieR
08-26-2007, 04:06 PM
Oh, gosh, something new to worry about.....

weezie1053
08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Okay, I too, like Bonnie, am a little confused. I recently had a MRI, but that was of the breasts. If there is no sign of mets (and in my case, no nodes), should us gals who are Stage II (and less) push for annual MRI's of the brain? Do they do the breast and the brain at the same appointment? I thought I was being diligent by pushing for a MRI of the breast area. I still have a lot to learn. My Onc keeps telling me he "went for the cure" with me, but I am learning that I have to be my own advocate.

Louise

Sherryg683
08-27-2007, 03:56 PM
The problem with most chemos is that they don't cross the brain barrier. Herceptin, Taxols, AC/Cytoxin don't. So when you are treated for your primary, nothing is going into the brain treating it. The incidence of brain mets are higher with HER2+ cancer. If I was early stage..I or II..I don't think I would worry about it too much but would still probably get an MRI done every year. Doesn't hurt and will definatly put your mind at ease. With me being stage IV, I have brain MRI's done every 6 months. Just had one done and it's clean...yea!!! My scan did show very high intelligence though...haha... (stole that one from my brother)...sherryg