PDA

View Full Version : Herceptin alone and toenails?

Brenda_D
08-24-2007, 08:28 AM
Hi ladies and Joe. :)
I've read through the thread about Herceptin side effects, and see where some of you are having issues with finger and toenails, but it seems that those are also on a chemo drug along with the herceptin.
I'm on Herceptin alone, at this point, and just recently noticed that one big toenail is acting like it's ingrown, but it's not, and it's got a cut (for lack of a better word) near the base, on the side.
Anybody think it's Herceptin related?

I just had H #3, and the lump on my neck has swelled again, but not as big as last time. They never did find out what caused it. Port seems ok. They don't seem worried that you can't draw blood from it. Scans and doppler didn't show any blood clots.

I have noticed that a day or so after treatment, I have a headache, and I also never had headaches before. I assume that's from the Herceptin.

Thanks.
Brenda

Melinda
08-24-2007, 08:46 AM
Brenda,
here is a link to the Herceptin side effects that our sisters have experienced. Nails in general do seem to be effected by Herceptin as well a other minor S/effects. I personally find that using some type of cream of Vitamin E oil helps keep the from "splitting.cracking" etc.
I started H in March o7 and did not know which drug was causing each of the side efefects. Now that I am on H alone its becoming more eveident what I can contribute to Herceptin. We all have different experiences, but fortunately my issues are minimal.
Hope this helps
Melinda

Chelee
08-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Brenda, I would think herceptin is most likely to blame for the toe nail problem. It seems everyone I've heard from on herceptin has had problems with nail growth, weakness and splitting of nails.

On another note I can't understand why they aren't concerned about your port? I am glad they did the doppler to rule out possible clots but obviously there *is* a problem if they *can't* get a blood draw from your port. I don't know of any cancer center that doesn't remove a port like yours if it won't draw. One of the biggest reasons for a port besides having infusions is the ability to have all your lab work done from your port. Just for that reason alone I don't understand why they aren't removing it? It makes life so much easier for you AND your chemo nurses. Its better then getting poked all the time for your CBC's and CMP's. I think I might ask them why they aren't getting you a new one. And since your still having that swelling on the side of your neck I would want to rule out the port 100% as a problem by having it pulled. Process of elimination.

The headaches you mentioned are no doubt from herceptin...that *is* very common after herceptin infusion. I always got a headache. I was given two tylenol before herceptin and sometimes it helped. But the headache is pretty normal. Hang in there.

Chelee

harrie
08-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I was having some nail problems and it looked worst after my 6th TCH tx. Since then I have been on H only and it has been maybe 4 or 5 times. My nails have IMPROVED dramatically. They were really bad...discoloration, lifting, junk underneath top of nail...I thought I had a fungus! But my oncologist said it was just from my chemo and recommended I use tea tree oil. I put it on my nails every night and since then the deterioration of my nails stopped and they look 100% better and feel 100% stronger. If anyone is interested in seeing what my nails looked like before, email me and I can send you a closeup pic.
Maryanne

fauxgypsy
08-24-2007, 06:47 PM
The clinic (a well known clinic) that I was going to first told me that it was common for them not to be able to draw blood from a port, that it happened all the time. So they ignored it and a week later after chemo I had pain in the area around it all night. After an ultrasound and chest x-ray where they said they found nothing, the ultrasound technician told me that the nurse practitioner said the radiologist wanted another test but then she told me there was nothing wrong and basically to leave her alone. Later that week, they called me with an appointmnet to have it replaced. This one works much better and has never bothered me like the first one did. Maybe I sqeaked enough to get their attention. Good luck.

weezie1053
08-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Harrie, I completed chemo in Feb 07; however, I still have nails that are splitting. They are far better than they were back when I was on Taxol, but it sounds like you have been successful with the splitting as well. When on chemo, they turned black and red, and I had to be placed on antibiotics. My Nickname was "Gothis Barbie. Where do you purchase "tree tea oil?"

Also, I agree with the other gals. My port was not working properly, and one of the Nurses got in the Oncologist's face until he scheduled the surgery to have it replaced. Second port works like it should.

Louise

StillHere
08-24-2007, 07:29 PM
Tea Tree oil can be found at health/vitamin stores. I just asked at the front desk. There were a varity of brands to chose from. My pedicurist recommended it. I also heard at a Homeopathic seminar that Tea Tree oil is antibacterial and can be used in aroma therapy to kill germs in the air. Peace Karen

harrie
08-24-2007, 10:40 PM
Weezie...and I also keep my nails very short. I am very happy with the improvements. Hope you give the tea tree oil a try. Good luck.
Maryanne