PDA

View Full Version : xeloda/tykerb

sally
08-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I am still waiting to hear from the pharmacy about the tykerb. I had a question. I got the xeloda the other day but I am waiting to get the tykerb before I start the xeloda. I forgot to ask my Dr. and I am assuming this is the right way to take the drugs, together. Let me know what you think. Thanks, Sally

doh2pa
08-24-2007, 06:30 AM
Hi Sally,

From a practical standpoint it's easier to begin them together, since you are on a 3 week cycle with both of them. But I would call your onc to check anyway.

Good luck, hope this works well for you. It's been a fabulous and easy combo for me.

Esther
08-24-2007, 05:48 PM
I actually started one before the other when I got it. I'm on an every other week schedule with the Xeloda, so the cycles vary anyway.

Heide
08-25-2007, 05:10 PM
Hello Everyone,

I started on Tykerb/Xeloda on 8/22/07. It was over 26 days from when my Onc prescribed it until I rec'd scripts in the mail. He said that was a long time to wait and to receive it. I had road blocks with my prescription coverage, as I'm sure others have. I have Anthem bc/bs that I buy myself (not thru an employer) because my husband is self-employed and I work at part-time and don't receive ins. benefits. Anthem has been wonderful to me! Unfortunately though, my prescription benefit has a max of $2000 per year; and since Tykerb/Xeloda fall under prescriptions; I couldn't get a month supply of either drugs. After buying a 25 day supply (5 pills a day) of Tykerb, I maxed out my coverage and put the $497 dollar remainder on my credit card. I then was considered prescription un-insured and applied to Roche (with the help of my Onc and his fabulous nurse) and Roche is providing me with a 3 month supply of Xeloda while they assist me in finding alternative funding. The Tykerb is hopefully coming from another program called Committment to Access. I'm still waiting to here from them about my app.

I guess my reason for telling you all this is because I feel like, well, for lack of a better word, a loser because I can't pay for my own medicine. But who can afford $4000-$6000 a month for prescriptions! Lots of insurances must have caps on prescription benefits right? I don't know how long I'll be on this treatment, and with new drugs coming out in the future, I'm sure they'll be scripts (pills) as well. Because there was a lag between xments (I was taken off HKI-272 phase 2 trial in July), my Onc had me come in for a dose of Herceptin to hold me over. It makes no sense to me that my ins. will pay for the Herceptin infusion, but not Tykerb/Xeloda pills. If I could get Tykerb/Xeloda in infusions I would, but was told it doesn't come that way.

My husband tries to comfort me and tell me that I will get my medicine and not to worry, but I get real upset about it. I know I shouldn't put a price tag on my health (and ultimately my life) but it's hard not to. Has anyone else out there felt this way or had these problems?

Thanks for listening.

Joy
08-26-2007, 08:59 AM
Heidi, I'm so sorry for your dumb insurance stuff. I have pacificare and while, I feel very fortunate to have it (through CoverColorado, formetly Colorado Uninsurables, our state high risk pool) my prescription coverage fortuantley does not have a max, but my initial co-pay for T/X was $2800 for 3 weeks worth. Now it has since come down because I had an out of pocket limiting thing, but it is still over $500/month. I applied to the Patient Access Network for help and they awarded me a $7500 precription grant. For which I'm sooo thankful. Google them, if you haven't and see what they can do. they were actually the most pleasant and knoweledgable people I dealt with at the time of crises. My insurance compnay, not helpful, my prescription manager, not helpful-did not know a THING about the drugs. But the specialty pharmacy, US Bioservices and the Patient Access Network Foundation have been great!

Good luck with all of it!

Heide
08-26-2007, 06:24 PM
I appreciate your kind words and information. I will look into it.

hutchibk
08-27-2007, 10:46 AM
Hi Sally - my Xeloda showed up 12 days before my Tykerb, and my doc told me to go ahead and start the Xeloda. I am glad I did as I think it mitigated the side effects that might have been worse for me as a result of "front-loading" - i.e. starting two strong drugs at the same time. It allowed my body to get used to one before adding the second one.