PDA

View Full Version : Liver Enzymes

dorinda
08-23-2007, 02:36 PM
I Am A Little Nervous And Thought Some Of Yall Could Give Me Peace.i Went For My Weekly Chemo Infusion And Of Course I Always Go A Day Before And Get My Blood Work To Make Sure I Can Have Chemo. Well, The Chemo Nurse Said Your Liver Numbers Are Up And Wanted To Know If I Had Been Taking Alot Of Tylenol. I Said No. Well ,the Doctor Said It Would Be Good Not To Get Your Chemo This Week And Will Recheck The Liver Number Next Week.. I Am Alittle Nervous Because I Did Have Three Tumors In My Liver And The Last Scan ,just Done On Aug. 6, Said That Everything Looked Good.what Could Make Liver Enzymes Go Up? I Do Have A Respiratory Infection And Have Been On Antibodics For 2 Days Now.i Didnot Ask How High The Numbers Were. I Guess I Should Have.everything Seems To Magnify Your Anxiety With Bc Thanks Dorinda

Grace
08-23-2007, 04:53 PM
My liver markers were up--36 I think, when I had my last herceptin infusion. It worried me as mine were always in the mid-range and I had the test taken the day after. My chemo nurse instructed me to fast before the test and they went down to mid-range again. There are a number of supplements that can raise the markers, including echinacea, alchohol, steroids, and tylenol. You might have them redone, fasting before hand. Good luck.

Becky
08-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Grace is right on this. Also for the CA 27/29 - caffeine will raise it up.

Also, your liver is under attack with the chemo and the chemo is killing all those cancer cells that have to be cleaned up by the immune system - this should be taken into consideration too. If you were showing progress 2 weeks ago, you are probably still ok now.

StillHere
08-23-2007, 05:44 PM
Thanks Becky for the tidbit on Caffeine and CA27-29 markers. I will lay off the diet coke before my next lab draw and see if makes any difference.

cafe1084
08-23-2007, 06:55 PM
When I was having chemo, my LFT's sky-rocketed and the onc sent me for a bone scan to look for changes there. He said sometimes they will go up with increase or decrease in bone mets. In your case, this could be very true since they are shrinking :D Plus, I'm sure since the chemo is filtered through the liver it's bogged down with toxins. My primary doc checked cholesterols and triglycerides when my LFT's went up because he said with highly elevated triglycerides, there is a risk of pancreatitis (mine were 600, previously normal). I increased my fiber and fruits/veggies and steered clear of packaged foods/red meats and they improved somewhat, but have not made it quite back to normal yet. Hope this helps in some way

Great to hear your tx is working well!
Steph C.

dorinda
08-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Thanks For Your Comments. I Did Learn Some New Things. I Didnot Know About Fasting Before Blood Test And About Caffeine And Tumor Markers. I Think I Always Have A Coke In My Hand When I Go For My Weekly Blood Test And Infusion. I Will Make Some Changes. Maybe I Can Just Enjoy This Week Off From Chemo. I Am Getting Alittle Tired. 32 Weeks Of Chemo Is Wearing On Me. Dorinda

micheleu
08-23-2007, 07:42 PM
Dorinda,
how elevated were they? I know during chemo my liver enzymes were up. Even after my chemo was done my enzymes jumped around. Medications, herbs, and chemo can make your liver enzymes elevated. If you scan was ok hopefully it was something else

PinkGirl
08-24-2007, 07:17 AM
Just my 2 cents -- my liver enzymes went way out of whack during my taxol treatments. I had to wait a week for a teatment while I had more blood work and a liver ultra sound. Everything ended up okay and the blood work was normal by the end of the next week. Good luck.

Andrea Barnett Budin
08-25-2007, 01:15 PM
ALPHA LIPOIC ACIS --300mg AM + PM -- detoxifies liver, is an antioxidant, good for heart, neutralizes free radicals, protects cells from damage, can cross the brain barrier and energize you -- according to my NY oncological nutritionist. I take this every day. Keep an eye on all your #s. GET A COPY OF EVERY TEST AND REPORT YOU HAVE FOR YOUR RECORDS. Compare carefully and regularly. Stay on top of things.

I didn't know this in '95 when I was a newbie. Since met in '98, I got wiser. Sending loving, healing energy to all, as always... ANDI :)